U.S. Elections: Is Keeping The SC Worth Risking A Dictatorship?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

9 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In all single payer systems you still have the option to take out insurance and get medical care on demand, as long as yhe insurance company doesn't find a way to deny it. Or you can just pay up front. I sat on the public waiting list for 3 months for my gallbladder op in the middle of the swine flu pandemic, and after 3 months the hospital admin said they couldn't put a time frame on it. So as an uninsured person I forked out the $10K needed to get the op done privately. I still came out ahead compared to health insurance because I would have paid more in insurance premiums in the prior years. You still have a haves and have-nots system, but at least with single payer the have-nots are guaranteed the healthcare, eventually.

Understood.

6 hours ago, SerPaladin said:

I don't necessarily believe that they are equally unpalatable, his character is less palatable. But I am starting from a position on the grid as a pragmatic republican with some libertarian ideals. I'm not starting from some pure neutral position.

I yelled at my local fellow republicans for endorsing Trump preceding the primary, we live proximate to Atlantic City, and I was astounded that they endorsed him over Kasich. It did take three rounds of voting. I got yelled at a lot louder in return, afterward, to the point that I'm effectively ostracized and "out of politics", though I am finishing up a term as an elected official (as planned, I've had three terms). They are trying to force another dissenter out of office, taking very hard shots at him, admittedly he is a bit higher profile than I am. I've got minor anxiety that "loyalty oaths" are on the horizon, the Trump fans are that rabid, and in the back of my mind I'm glad my term ends December 31 and Trump's wouldn't start until late January. I've got a lot of good reasons not to support Trump that are not the experience of the typical American.

The problem is that with Hillary, I'm forced to not just concede, but to endorse, a 100% chance that the country moves away from what my preferred vision is. I voted for Bill Clinton in 1996, the only other time I voted D in a presidential election, because his "triangulation" was a lot closer to my vision than Bob Dole's greatest generation BS.

There is a significant amount of weight on one side of the scale that tips me toward voting "R" with all else being equal. AND there is a significant amount of weight on that same side that just plain doesn't like Hillary's policies and does not find her trustworthy. And with all those things on the scale, Trump's badness has managed to have me leaning toward voting for Hillary, a candidate that I deeply disagree with politically and do not like personally.

Not voting, because there is genuinely no one worth voting for, is a completely valid democratic option. It's BS to say that if you don't vote you can't complain. If you are apathetic and disengaged then sure, you have no basis for complaining. But if you have weighed up all candidates and find that none of them deserves the presidency in your estimation then not voting is totally valid.

I assume despite your libertarian ideals that you view Gary Johnson as a bit of a nut job so he's not an option as a throw away vote. So only question is do you feel it's important to keep Trump out of the White House? If yes, then you are bound by your own personal code to vote Hillary, as she's the only person who can keep him out of the White House. If no, then a non-vote is a reasonable option.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/jack-mitnick-donald-trump-taxes-brilliance-229114

Former accountant refutes Trump’s tax brilliance: I did all the work

Jesus Christ, did anyone think Trump actually figured this shit out on his own? I don't believe he's got the attention span to read two pages of the tax code by himself.

I loled at the idea that Trump understands the tax code better than any other presidential candidate in history

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/782541307168391168?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

He's not even the most knowledgeable Republican candidate from the the last 4 years. Mitt Romney was a Harvard JD/MBA

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Jesus Christ, did anyone think Trump actually figured this shit out on his own? I don't believe he's got the attention span to read two pages of the tax code by himself.

Rudy Giuliani, apparently. To paraphrase: Trump is a genius to have worked out how to legally turn this loss into a tax advantage. Clearly Rudy is under the impression that Trump handles his own taxes.

Of course Tapper in his interview on CNN with Giuliani countered with something along the lines of, if he's a genius how come he lost $900 million? That doesn't sound very genius. I saw that on a clip so I don't know how Giuliani responded, but surely his people must have prepared a soundbite response to that #notruegenius accusation.

5 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I think this is going poorly for the Democrats. Pence is composed, and Kaine keeps interrupting him to be a dick.

Not liking Kaine's tactic here either.  Stay on subject and beat him by doing so.  This constant interruption about taxes isn't doing a damn thing.  Voter's have heard about the story by now, move on.

3 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I think this is going poorly for the Democrats. Pence is composed, and Kaine keeps interrupting him to be a dick.

That's interesting because it's a reversal from the first Clinton/Trump debate, where Clinton was composed while Trump repeatedly interrupted her.  Not sure why they want to switch up strategies here when things worked out so well in the first debate. 

Archived