College Football 2016 - B1G expectations

dbunting

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

They almost certainly won't. That isn't how  Oregon works. 

Maybe not, but they haven't really had to deal with poor coaching since Knight has made his investments in the program. Went from Bellotti to Kelly.

Geeeesh, why didn't I stay up and watch that shootout in Lubbock last night? Would have been fun to watch. Its the reason why I feel so good about the Eers' this year in the BIGXII. I honestly feel like NO ONE even tries to play any defense. Its let's see who's the first to 50..60. Now, what does scare the hell out of me, is getting into a shootout. I don't think we can keep up, really. Maybe if we just have an out of our mind kinda day, and if we do, I hope it's against Baylor. 

I am just overly impressed with our Defense. Its nothing special. We have no All -Americans that lead the way. I think Gibson has just figured out a way to slow these high-powered offenses down. Yesterday after we got the lead he didn't let them go deep on us, he laid back and played soft. And, usually that's the worst thing to do, but our D-Line is playing so well it allows us to do it. 

Again, Howard is playing hands down better than Ive seen of him in two years. He is just playing mistake free ball and that's all we need with the way our D is playing. Running game is there, WR's made some great catches. We, at this moment, have a COMPLETE football team. We're not relying on one side of the other and it takes pressure off of both. We look comfortable. And that more than anything, I think, is why we are playing so well. I think the team actually believes they belong. And that goes along way towards winning a game in Lubbock or Austin or Norman. It was a big shock to our program, playing at those venues week in and week out. I think we've finally arrived. And, I may eat my words, and I am not predicting we will win the BIGXII. A lot can happen. But, even just watching the game at home on the TV, I see a confidence that has been missing since we moved to the BIGXII.

On 10/21/2016 at 9:01 PM, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

ACC, SEC, if you're scared, just go on ahead say your scared. WVU is getting adjusted to the BIGXII and won't be long til we compete year in, year out for a championship. We win games and we have adjusted to every conf shake up I can remember. They'll use academics as a excuse to not let us in the ACC, when in reality, their just scared. 

True...true.  Very scared.  Of this -

10 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Geeeesh, why didn't I stay up and watch that shootout in Lubbock last night? Would have been fun to watch. Its the reason why I feel so good about the Eers' this year in the BIGXII. I honestly feel like NO ONE even tries to play any defense. Its let's see who's the first to 50..60. Now, what does scare the hell out of me, is getting into a shootout. I don't think we can keep up, really. Maybe if we just have an out of our mind kinda day, and if we do, I hope it's against Baylor. 

I am just overly impressed with our Defense. Its nothing special. We have no All -Americans that lead the way. I think Gibson has just figured out a way to slow these high-powered offenses down. Yesterday after we got the lead he didn't let them go deep on us, he laid back and played soft. And, usually that's the worst thing to do, but our D-Line is playing so well it allows us to do it. 

Again, Howard is playing hands down better than Ive seen of him in two years. He is just playing mistake free ball and that's all we need with the way our D is playing. Running game is there, WR's made some great catches. We, at this moment, have a COMPLETE football team. We're not relying on one side of the other and it takes pressure off of both. We look comfortable. And that more than anything, I think, is why we are playing so well. I think the team actually believes they belong. And that goes along way towards winning a game in Lubbock or Austin or Norman. It was a big shock to our program, playing at those venues week in and week out. I think we've finally arrived. And, I may eat my words, and I am not predicting we will win the BIGXII. A lot can happen. But, even just watching the game at home on the TV, I see a confidence that has been missing since we moved to the BIGXII.

I think Tony Gibson has done a really good job designing our defense to play against the teams in our conference. You really have to give the D credit, TCU and TTU aren't world beaters, but both were top 10 offenses that WVU pushed around.  

Ive been a Mountaineers fan my whole life so I know damn well to take things one game at a time, but this team has really impressed me.  Preseason they were picked to finish 7th or 8th in the Big XII, whatever else happens - that won't.  

imo WVU has three weaknesses:

1. run D (not awful but the BYU and the TCU kids had some nice runs)

2. red zone scoring needs to be a bit better

3. This is nitpicky because most teams are probably in this boat, but if Howard goes down we are screwed.  Nobody even close to as effective on the bench that can play this year.

other than that this team could not look more different from Holgs early teams.  They were all pass and all hurry up, no huddle.  This team will do that at times, but they will also huddle up, churn clock, and run right at you.  The O line is big and mean and talented.  We have 3 good running backs and I'd put our receiving corps as a whole against just about any group in the country.  Very happy with the evolution of Holgorsen's offense.  We aren't exactly flashy, but also really don't have a glaring weakness.  

Some of that is certainly the toughness of Howard, who has won mine and most WVU fans' respect for his hard nosed play.  Last two games I've seen him deliver multiple stiff arms and level defenders when he needs to, while also delivering the ball on target. Just hope he doesn't overdo it and stays healthy.  

On to the next, hope we can keep it going!

Another win for Michigan. Not that it wasn't expected, the good thing is they looked great right from the get go. So much so that they were using their back up QB's early on, getting everyone involved. So, so looking forward to the game this week. Time for some payback.

I was watching the game and texted my friend about Harbaughs glasses, how they looked like Woody Hayes, and before I could hit send the announcers said the same thing and showed a side by side. I read somewhere that Harbaugh said they are a nod to Hayes, Malcolm X and Micheal Douglass

As to osu losing, I always love an osu loss, but was hoping Michigan would be the team to do it. Now that osu has lost they may get their edge back and come back stronger for the rest of the season.

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Never mind then. Is it like one win?

Stanford started out strong and beat both USC and UCLA. But then they lost back to back to the Washington teams, and that deflated them some. They still have to play the Oregonians, Arizona and Cal.

I think neither Stanford nor Oregon has a single DIVISION win in conference, the only two teams that are still undefeated in conference play overall are the two Washington teams.

also Washington state is ranked 26th in both of this weeks polls.

all the pac12 games this weekend are cross division games except Washington state v Oregon state

Also I'm guessing game day will not go to the apple cup as FS1 is airing that game.

Went and rechecked the week 9 polls and in one of them 7 of the top 9 positions were still undefeated teams. Things could still change dramatically between now and the playoffs. Its way too early to annoint any of the spots till this plays out on the field.

Apple Cup is on a Friday so it wouldn't be eligible for Gameday, but it's also the same weekend as Ohio State-Michigan so it wouldn't have gotten gameday regardless.

Also, does anyone watch Gameday anymore? I sure as shit don't, it's painful. In addition to the content being bad, they have got to get Corso off there. I respect they're trying to help him, but the dude can't form coherent sentences anymore.

Archived