College Football 2016 - B1G expectations

dbunting

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Meh, we're just a bad team this year. Getting exposed big time.

You're not a bad team.  I think they're just an undisciplined team.  I think losing that close one to A&M broke their spirit.  Then Alabama came at them with razor blades and lemon juice, and left that spirit struggling to hold onto life in the dirt.  South Carolina simply had to put a pillow over their face. 

1 hour ago, JonSnow4President said:

You're not a bad team.  I think they're just an undisciplined team.  I think losing that close one to A&M broke their spirit.  Then Alabama came at them with razor blades and lemon juice, and left that spirit struggling to hold onto life in the dirt.  South Carolina simply had to put a pillow over their face. 

FA is an Ole Miss fan not a UT fan.

The Utes-Huskies game went way better than I expected. I thought the Huskies were just going to blow out my Utes, but instead it was competitive - the Huskies won because of a kick-return TD and failures on that last Ute offensive drive (it doesn't help that the Utes have so few backs left for the backfield because of injuries). A win would have been a welcome surprise, but I'll take a close loss against a better team that's 12 ranks higher in the polls. 

FSU's O-line is a complete horror show. 2 false starts in a row and then 2 sacks to end the game, after getting into Clemson territory. I had to leave for work after the Cook 70 yard dash but Francois was taking an absolute beating when I was watching. Dude is tough as hell but he must be getting sour at these guys.

Just saw the highlights of the ending and that block below the waste penalty was total horseshit, but what can you do? Their weaknesses got exploited once again by a better team.

9 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

Kelly isn't that bad...

He's had his ups & downs this year but he's certainly the only thing keeping the team afloat right now. The defense is an absolute mess, and apart from that we have the typical shortcomings of a Hugh Freeze team - no run game, inconsistent-to-poor OL play and comically bad special teams (other than placekicking). And you were unintentionally correct on one thing in your post above - this team is horribly undisciplined, easily the worst of the Freeze era. Lots of stupid errors like bad penalties, dropped passes etc. which have cost us chances to win ball games. And it's everybody screwing up, not just the young players.

Hugh desperately needs to shake up the coaching staff in the offseason if this team has any hope of remaining nationally competitive.

47 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

He's had his ups & downs this year but he's certainly the only thing keeping the team afloat right now. The defense is an absolute mess, and apart from that we have the typical shortcomings of a Hugh Freeze team - no run game, inconsistent-to-poor OL play and comically bad special teams (other than placekicking). And you were unintentionally correct on one thing in your post above - this team is horribly undisciplined, easily the worst of the Freeze era. Lots of stupid errors like bad penalties, dropped passes etc. which have cost us chances to win ball games. And it's everybody screwing up, not just the young players.

Hugh desperately needs to shake up the coaching staff in the offseason if this team has any hope of remaining nationally competitive.

i was at the edge of my seat for most of the game...and until the pick, i felt lousy about our chances to get out of there with a win.  it was a roller coaster ride to be sure.  :cheers:  i hope that we can both correct some things before we take the field again, sir!

so, things look promising for some pretty intense pre iron bowl coverage.  i'm still unsure whether or not the game itself will be much different than the bulk of bama's 2016 resume, but i was completely sure of our absolute and utter destruction a month ago...college football right?

Here we go with the Week 10 Rankings http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

The logjam is starting to crack with the top 4 remaining undefeated while a few of the other undefeated teams fell this week, theres a second cluster of one loss teams that are still in the running for the playoffs if Ala, Mich, Clemson or Washington should falter in the stretch.

Oklahoma St and the Nittany Lions climb into the rankings , Boise St drops 11 spots and those pesky WMU Broncos hold onto a 8-0 record climbing to 17th in the AP.

4 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

It irritates me that VT is ranked below UNC when we have the same record, and we beat them 34-3.  I guess that's what we get for losing to Syracuse.

It's why polls aren't part of the equation anymore. They're pure garbage.

34 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

It irritates me that VT is ranked below UNC when we have the same record, and we beat them 34-3.  I guess that's what we get for losing to Syracuse.

The College Football Playoff Committee will be releasing their rankings in a few days, perhaps they will differ? http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17927139/alabama-michigan-clemson-washington-top

22 hours ago, D_P said:

i was at the edge of my seat for most of the game...and until the pick, i felt lousy about our chances to get out of there with a win.  it was a roller coaster ride to be sure.  :cheers:  i hope that we can both correct some things before we take the field again, sir!

so, things look promising for some pretty intense pre iron bowl coverage.  i'm still unsure whether or not the game itself will be much different than the bulk of bama's 2016 resume, but i was completely sure of our absolute and utter destruction a month ago...college football right?

Auburn is figuring it out at the right time. That team reminds me a lot of the 2013 version (not quite as good, but a similar trajectory). 

Y'all have the line play to compete well with Bama, but winning in Tuscaloosa is a different story. I'm interested to see how they look against COACH O in Baton Rouge this week.

Reports are that Jalen Hurd is telling teammates he is going to transfer.

All of a sudden, I'm not even kidding when I say that Kentucky has a shot at the SEC East!  Georgia at Commonwealth this weekend will be a huge game for the Cats and is certainly winnable.  If Tennessee manages to implode over the next few weeks, they'll at least have a shot at the Vols in Knoxville.

Now I have become a fan of Arkansas and LSU.  If the impossible happens and UK wins the games above and Florida loses games at both of those SEC West foes; Kentucky plays Bama for the SEC title!  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Reports are that Jalen Hurd is telling teammates he is going to transfer.

All of a sudden, I'm not even kidding when I say that Kentucky has a shot at the SEC East!  Georgia at Commonwealth this weekend will be a huge game for the Cats and is certainly winnable.  If Tennessee manages to implode over the next few weeks, they'll at least have a shot at the Vols in Knoxville.

Now I have become a fan of Arkansas and LSU.  If the impossible happens and UK wins the games above and Florida loses games at both of those SEC West foes; Kentucky plays Bama for the SEC title!  :lol:

What I'm hearing locally is that behind closed doors it's worse than that - "several" players either quit or threatened to do so last night. UT fans are in panic mode as their season appears to be going full-dumpster fire.

I would love for Kentucky play in the SECCG if for no other reason to see what fan turnout would be on the same Saturday y'all play UCLA at Rupp. :D   

5 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

What I'm hearing locally is that behind closed doors it's worse than that - "several" players either quit or threatened to do so last night. UT fans are in panic mode as their season appears to be going full-dumpster fire.

I would love for Kentucky play in the SECCG if for no other reason to see what fan turnout would be on the same Saturday y'all play UCLA at Rupp. :D   

Now see... that's a real problem yes.  It is in "Catlanta" but would be quite the quandary!  :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Rupp will be full either way.  It's just a matter of how much blue would show up at the Georgia Dome.

Went to the Michigan - MSU game Saturday in enemy territory. Had a good time and for the most part the fans didn't get nasty with us, and we didn't do anything to provoke anyone so it was a good time. The game got sloppy for Michigan at the end and I think LJ Scot is still running wild up the middle.

With it being a rivalry game I am not surprised it was close. Just glad it's over and Michigan came out with a win and healthy. Playing Maryland at home 3:30 start and decent weather, tailgate time! 

Archived