Assassin's Creed movie thread. Contain spoilers.

Jon's Queen Consort

• 1 month later...

Fassbender as been involved a lot in the movie. Unfortunately, he also claimed never to have played the game (and I think the people involved never played it either) but that it would respect the universe of the game. I don't see how you can do that when you're not a fan, and even less when you don't know the product you are adapting.

1 hour ago, generalzod said:

OR... as part of backing up the brinks truck he said he'd only agree to do this turd if they gave him a producer credit and points on the back end.

THEN he read the script and had a stiff drink. 

He was actually involved in getting the film greenlit and getting funded, he is one of the driving forces behind it and has been the whole time.

EDIT:  Most of the reviews I've read could be interpreted as reviews of the games funnily enough.  Boring ass shit in the present, fun stuff in the past.

Well if that's the case, he's a terrible producer.

Baffling is the time travel via memory conceit.  Why not just open in the 15th century and Fassbender is an assassin?  It creates a weird disconnect like he could "jump out of the past" if things got dodgy or corny lines about "if we don't get him out soon he'll be trapped in the Spanish Inquisition forever!" 

So you apparently have never played a game from the series?

While I generally agree, that the games do not need Abstergo to work (thus the films probably do not need it either). That is part of the AC games/universe.

I haven'T seen the movie yet, only reacted to that ancestor's memory time travel bit being confusing. So I will stick with the games to make my point.

Altair and Ezio do need Desmond to be good (Altair) to great (Ezio) video game characters, and the Animus subplot added little to nothing to game's main plot. What would the games lose. The Desmond - Lucy not so much of a romance, and the Juno first civilization bit. I am not so much of a religious/esotheric person, so the Juno arc wasn't really my cup of tea. 

The games with the eternal Templar versus Assasin struggle over "pieces of Eden" and wolrd domination would still work, even if you scratch the animus. Desmond was sort of a binding element for the first games, but not really a necessity.

Having that said, criticising the movie for being truthful to the game doesn't make much sense imo. It's part of that universe. I mean you don'T complain in a Spider-Man movie that the main character can crawl up buildings.

25 minutes ago, Notone said:

Having that said, criticising the movie for being truthful to the game doesn't make much sense imo. It's part of that universe. I mean you don'T complain in a Spider-Man movie that the main character can crawl up buildings.

Fair enough.  

But just because a device works well in a game, doesn't mean it works well in a narrative drama.  We already know what the critics think...let's see how the movie does being slavish to the gamers, as opposed to telling a story for a mainstream audience.  That's always the tough debate when adapting anything from one medium to another... What level of fan service to incorporate--- and can you make said fan service just WORK.

I am familiar with the games, but putting on my movie-goer hat-- it all seems like hokey convoluted nonsense and an extra unnecessary device, when the drama plays out in the 15th century.  You've already got lots to swallow, the historical fiction of the war between the assassins and the Knights Templar, the Apple of Eden, and now you've got a time traveling modern day dude of the bloodline going back in time to fight.  Its just one more reason to say "huh??? Pass."  Assassin's Creed is a much more convoluted than say a simple time travel story like Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court... and based on the trailers, not in a good way. 

23 hours ago, Notone said:

I haven'T seen the movie yet, only reacted to that ancestor's memory time travel bit being confusing. So I will stick with the games to make my point.

Altair and Ezio do need Desmond to be good (Altair) to great (Ezio) video game characters, and the Animus subplot added little to nothing to game's main plot. What would the games lose. The Desmond - Lucy not so much of a romance, and the Juno first civilization bit. I am not so much of a religious/esotheric person, so the Juno arc wasn't really my cup of tea. 

The games with the eternal Templar versus Assasin struggle over "pieces of Eden" and wolrd domination would still work, even if you scratch the animus. Desmond was sort of a binding element for the first games, but not really a necessity.

But I haven't met a single person who thinks the modern-day bollocks in these games is interesting or necessary. It's an adaptation, so you should cut things out that won't translate well to screen. If they kept the loading screens in the films, would you still be saying that criticising the movie for being truthful to the games doesn't make sense?

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

But I haven't met a single person who thinks the modern-day bollocks in these games is interesting or necessary. It's an adaptation, so you should cut things out that won't translate well to screen. If they kept the loading screens in the films, would you still be saying that criticising the movie for being truthful to the games doesn't make sense?

Good point.  I think that's essentially why Peter Jackson cut Tom Bombadil from the LOTR movies. It would have gummed up the story. 

I will probably go see this... I'm done with my Xmas shopping.... So what the hell....I don't expect to love this flick, but maybe it'll be fun

My question is, has there ever been a successful movie made from a video game?.... even toys have been the basis for successful franchises --Transformers, GI Joe-- , but to my recollection video games don't translate... even with interesting world building stories like World of Warcraft...

Archived