US Election 2016: the fall of the American republic

Kalbear

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Butterbumps,

I've disliked him as long as I've known who he is.  He comes across as incredibly crass and unpleasant.  I do not understand how anyone could describe him as in any way charismatic.  Is "Biff" from the "Back to the Future" series charismatic?

Seeing as Back to the Future II was only a year wrong about the Baseball World Series, does this mean that we might also accidentally fall into the time stream where Trump/Biff rules everything? ;)

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/11/ryan-says-obamacare-around-good-if-hillary-clinton-wins

Paul Ryan, of all people, gives me another good reason to vote for Clinton.

There are two benefits here:

1. The ACA was a step in the right direction.

2. And almost just as good, it pisses off Republicans.

Yeah, I'm reasonably confident that my complete disavowal of his charisma is unrelated to his abhorrent politics because the former precedes my awareness of the latter by years. He's always seemed like a horse's ass. I knew nothing about his political views until the GOP primaries.

So if he were a left-leaning plebeian pacifist I'd still think he had the all personal charm of an STD.

25 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

OK, we've had four predictions so far:

• RBPL - Hillary 356 Trump 182
  • Fez - Hillary 335 Trump 203
  • Impmk2 - Hillary 307 Trump 231
  • SeanF - Hillary 278 Trump 260.

Mine is Clinton 322 (or 323)/Trump 216

Senate  50/50 and House D+10

The lines were pretty long in my precinct. It took about 30 minutes, and that included coloring in my answers (its an old fashioned ballot where you join an arrow)

4 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Mine is Clinton 322 (or 323)/Trump 216

Senate  50/50 and House D+10

The lines were pretty long in my precinct. It took about 30 minutes, and that included coloring in my answers (its an old fashioned ballot where you join an arrow)

My imagination is running riot. I almost don't want to ask exactly how old-fashioned, ie how literally you mean doing something involving archery.

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

Look at New Hampshire international folks, it will be one of the earlier smaller competitive states for polls to close and ballots counted and reported. If it is too close to call, all night will be a razors edge in all other states, if trump wins he has an excellent chance at winning overall, if Clinton wins she is low risk of losing overall.

new Hampshire is your bellweather this election. Also true in indicating the overall makeup of the senate.

Midway through the night the media will stop declaring states and everything will be toss up until polls close on the  west coast, once the polls close, lots of non west coast states will immediately be declared, and the election may have its outcome declared.

New Hampshire was declared at 22:04 EST, 03:04 GMT in 2012. Whether that means much I can't tell you. I can't find any older stats for what time states have declared in the past.

I'm back from voting. Its my first presidential election at this precinct, so I don't have a good point of comparison. The line was much longer than the mid-terms or off-year elections, but seemed shorter than the line in 2012; which was at the next precinct over. Its not an apples-to-apples comparison though. In addition to being a different location, we also had an electronic system then and I've been told the paper ballots we're back to now are faster (because more people can vote at any given time).

42 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

If Clinton loses New Hampshire, I think she loses Iowa, Ohio, Florida, ME-2, NE-2, and North Carolina. Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Colorado would be close - and she'd need to win them all. 

Iowa is lost anyway IMO. If Clinton loses New Hampshire, that bodes poorly for Ohio, ME-2, and NE-2. I don't think it'll tell us much about Florida or North Carolina though; the electorates are too different. Also, New Hampshire is one of the rare, truly elastic states capable of swinging pretty heavily from one election to the next. So it wouldn't surprise me if the Comey stuff had an impact in New Hampshire that it didn't have elsewhere.

That said, I expect Clinton to win it fairly handily. Its a highly educated state, which is not good for Trump, and while its not a liberal bastion like its neighbors, it has been moving steadily to the left since 2000.

Is it fair to compare this years wait times to those of past elections?  With early voting becoming more prevalent, would that alleviate some of the long lines of the past?

It's state by state, and even county by county, I would guess.

I voted a week early, as did many folks in my area, which will reduce the numbers standing in line.

4 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

Is it fair to compare this years wait times to those of past elections? 

For Virginia at least (where I vote), mostly yes. Absentee ballots were up this year, but Virginia does not have no-excuse early voting, so most people still have to vote on election day.

But the fact that they changed the ballot system does make comparisons to the last presidential election invalid. It was in place already starting with the 2014 midterms though.

9 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

Is it fair to compare this years wait times to those of past elections?  With early voting becoming more prevalent, would that alleviate some of the long lines of the past?

It's state by state, and even county by county, I would guess.

I voted a week early, as did many folks in my area, which will reduce the numbers standing in line.

The Wedge,

South Carolina doesn't have explicit "early voting".  

Fez and Scot,

This election was the first I've voted early.  It was fantastic. Our county seems to have its act together.  There were 5 full time places, 12 other almost-full time places, and a mobile unit that was at designated spots throughout the last two weeks. County residents could go to any of them during that time.

I was in and out in under 10 minutes.  It saved me from the hassle of Election Day anxiety of getting up early or leaving work early to go to the polling place near home.

I hope this trend continues to catch on. Or better yet, voting by mail like they do in Oregon and Colorado.

Good luck America,  I truly hope you don't Elect Trump.  

Although if you do then I guess that may help to restore the value of the post Brexit £ against the US $.  And I would very much appreciate it if Obama would give Trump the wrong neucular codes, just in case....

I hope no-one has too long a wait too vote or feels intimtated by protesters/ supporters of either Candidate.

I think I vaguely remember a campaign to place Taco Trucks outside of polling stations.

Did this actually happen?

Archived