Rogue One Spoilers Discussion: I Am With You, Jyn Erso

AndrewJ

31 minutes ago, generalzod said:

What constitutes a "YouTube star?"

Other than that... back to the main focus of the story, certainly hope she recovers.

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

According to her brother Todd she has stabilised.

But it really doesn't sound good:  

The Los Angeles Times cited one unnamed source as saying the actress had been "in a lot of distress on the flight" after suffering a "cardiac episode" on the plane, which landed at Los Angeles International Airport shortly after noon.

The city Fire Department confirmed that its emergency personnel met an arriving flight at the airport to treat a patient in "cardiac arrest," but declined to identify the individual, citing medical confidentiality laws.

However, two passengers who said they were aboard the flight and sitting near Fisher posted messages on Twitter reporting that she had fallen ill. Well-known YouTube performer Anna Akana tweeted that Fisher had "stopped breathing," and comedian Brad Cage, who said he and Akana were sitting in front of the actress, tweeted separately that Fisher was taken off the plane by paramedics.

The other report from BBC suggested she'd received around 30 minutes of CPR. That's a long time to be "down". So I dunno. 

May the Force be with her.

6 hours ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

But is it "Palpatine had like 5,000 clones stored away that keep coming back intermittently" dumb?

Incidentally, this is why the EU had to go. For every Revan, Thrawn and Kyle Katarn there was a Pogo Palpatine. 

On 12/20/2016 at 10:39 PM, mormont said:

The point about that, and everything else Chirrut does, though, is that they could have been just extraordinary luck or uncanny perception. The writers are careful about that. He doesn't do anything directly with the power of the Force, like throwing people around with a gesture or controlling their minds. What he does is done through having faith in the Force, as it acts through him, not by him directing the Force as a Jedi does.

As noted, if Chirrut had been an actual Jedi the Rebellion would have handed the entire mission over to him and Vader (and the Emperor) would have made finding and killing him their top priority, likely even over the Death Star plans. Instead, he's a character who's there to show that faith in the Force is not restricted to Jedi.

The sensing of Jyn's necklace and the sensing that Cassian is about to kill both show that Chirrut is Force sensitive.

The shooting down of the tie could just be extraordinary luck, but that would be the most boring reading of the text imaginable and I just don't roll that way because I am with the Force and the Force is with me.

Does anyone have any intel on the rumors that the original ending involved Vader hunting down and killing 3 of the lead characters in an intense and horrifying Alien-esque sequence... (Which was changed to Vader killing a bunch of rebel redshirts so he could be a cool heel and not an evil sadistic fuck)...

Other rumored Vader cuts/reshoots include:

Vader on the Death Star

Vader vs. Saw Gerrera 

1 hour ago, generalzod said:

Does anyone have any intel on the rumors that the original ending involved Vader hunting down and killing 3 of the lead characters in an intense and horrifying Alien-esque sequence...

A lot of the changes I'd heard speculation on sound sensible enough but if that one's true they made the wrong call because that would have been fucking awesome.

Eta: We know that Vader on the Death Star was something that was cut, because it was in the trailers.

2 hours ago, generalzod said:

Does anyone have any intel on the rumors that the original ending involved Vader hunting down and killing 3 of the lead characters in an intense and horrifying Alien-esque sequence... (Which was changed to Vader killing a bunch of rebel redshirts so he could be a cool heel and not an evil sadistic fuck)...

Other rumored Vader cuts/reshoots include:

Vader on the Death Star

Vader vs. Saw Gerrera 

I don't know the precise nature of the original third act, but it really felt like they'd set up a showdown of Vader vs Baze & Chirrut at some point.

It would've made absolutely zero sense to have the likes of Jyn, Cassian or Bodhi fight Vader, but having the two Guardians of the Whills fight him would have been aces.

I like the film a lot, but I still feel like that one is a missed opportunity.

I saw it yesterday and found myself a bit underwhelmed.  It was good, but it wasn't great, it left me kinda cold.  Perhaps my expectations were a bit too high after how much I enjoyed TFA.  A lot of the things that bothered me people have already mentioned:

- Uninspiring music, boring first 1/3rd of the movie, Peter Cushing's resurrection. 

But I think that the main problem I had was:

Why do the Imperials have to suck so badly?  Why is it that just a few rebels without even a map can kill ten times their number of stormtroopers?  Why did that one guy get an automatic weapon but stormtroopers never do?  Why is it that a single attack run from a few fighters was able to disable a Star Destroyer with Ion weapons, but the dozens of TIE fighters couldn't do the same to the Rebel fleet?  Why wasn't the non-disabled star destroyer smart enough to avoid it's crippled sister ship when it started moving? 

I understand that individually these are nit-picks, but the incompetence of the Imperial forces really started to get to me in this movie.  Yes, this isn't new in Star Wars, although in ANH they at least had the excuse that our heroes were all force sensitive.  ROTJ had this problem in spades, and it made that movie worse too.  When the Death Star can destroy a planet but their ground army is clearly inferior to 1990s military technology, it is frankly pretty disappointing. 

Archived