Video Games: Dawn of Waaaaagh!

Werthead

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

On current plans I won't get to Mass Effect: Andromeda for months. I really don't feel like I'm missing anything here (I still haven't played Dragon Age: Inquisition, actually).

I'm certainly not champing (chomping?) at the bit for ME:A. If it had got rave reviews I'm pretty sure I'd have finished my fem Ryder play through already and be 20hrs in to dude-Ryder, and seriously neglecting home duties. So in a way it's a blessing in disguise for harmonious relations at home that the game is a mixed bag. I'll get there one day.

Of course I'm still struggling with the PC vs console decision, and that is also delaying my purchase. I do love lounging on the couch playing action on the big screen TV, and I simply cannot do that with my PC. But my PC is finally technologically superior (by a decent margin) to my PS4.

And then there is the thought that if sales are a bit poop at full price the price might drop, or temporary specials might appear, sooner rather than later.

Me, too. I am slowly going thru ME:A, in no rush to finish. I still suck at the combat, and the resource gathering is a bit of a stumper, too, but the game has plenty of stuff to like, so I am pushing on. Couldn't have returned it even if I wanted to, since the policy is you have 24 hr from when you launch the game, and nearly two weeks later, I'm only 9 hrs into it. 

The Warhammer 2 announcement is keeping that game on my mind, and I am doing an Empire campaign now.

Perhaps its the fact I have a Kindergartner at home, but I can't think of Ryder without thinking of Paw Patrol.

Also, Liam being black with his mini-fro and propensity to use Omni-blades reminds me of Wasabi from Big Hero 6.

I'm still moving very slowly with the single player, but I enjoy it well enough.

I've never played a Persona game but I'm thinking about getting 5 after I'm through with Mass Effect. They're all self contained stories right? Will I be missing anything important if I haven't played the others? 

48 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I've never played a Persona game but I'm thinking about getting 5 after I'm through with Mass Effect. They're all self contained stories right? Will I be missing anything important if I haven't played the others? 

I've never finished any of them, but I have played them.  Then getting distracted by something else.

But, yeah, they're self contained.  Like FF games.  They share some themes and game mechanics, but they are their own seperate stories.

54 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

They are basically all self-contained, certainly all the stories are separate adventures with different casts.

There are some references and callbacks though. I haven't played 5 (no PS4 for me) but I did watch Giant Bomb's stream of the first 90 minutes of it, and one thing I noticed is that one of the characters from 4 (who was a pop idol) was on billboard advertisements in the subway station. I suspect that's just an easter egg though.

At one point in 4, the characters visit the school from 3 for a short scene that makes no sense unless you played 3; but its just a couple minutes.

And Igor is in all the games, but he never talks about previous games; he's just there to play the same role he always does.

So there's little stuff like that, but nothing important. Unless 5 is breaking the mold, but I doubt that.

The trailer for Volition's upcoming game, Agents of Mayhem, is out. It is the dumbest, most glorious video game trailer since Volition's last full game, Saints Row 4.

Its also completely up in the air if this directly in the Saints Row universe or just full of references to it. For instance, there's Ultor, but Ultor was also in the Red Faction games.

Completely off topic...

I have been basically unable to access the board from my mobile device (iPhone 6) all weekend because I can go to the Entertainment or Literature pages (the only ones I ever visit), but when I click on a topic my phone browser goes to some website that says my phone has been selected to win some sort of prize or something.  Obviously, I'm not dumb enough to click anything there; but I don't know how to avoid it.  I close out the Safari app and specific close the Westeros "tab" but then when I start up again, any topic takes me to that page.

Is this an issue with my phone where some app that I got has a hidden malware with it?  Or is this something with Westeros?

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, DunderMifflin said:

What system are u on ? Or pc? I've done about 5 oor 6 rounds on ps4 and haven't heard anyone on mic yet

I'm on a PS4.  My PSN tag is chirop1 if you want to add me.  I'm noob enough that I don't know how to start up a MP mission other than a random game and my playtime is mostly limited to late evenings; but I'm up for fitting in a few matches!

Just now, Rhom said:

Completely off topic...

I have been basically unable to access the board from my mobile device (iPhone 6) all weekend because I can go to the Entertainment or Literature pages (the only ones I ever visit), but when I click on a topic my phone browser goes to some website that says my phone has been selected to win some sort of prize or something.  Obviously, I'm not dumb enough to click anything there; but I don't know how to avoid it.  I close out the Safari app and specific close the Westeros "tab" but then when I start up again, any topic takes me to that page.

Is this an issue with my phone where some app that I got has a hidden malware with it?  Or is this something with Westeros?

I get this occasionally on my phone as well, but I just hit "back" and I'm able to go back to the thread I wanted to read. I thought it was just me but if it's happening to other people as well then it must be something with the site. We should let Ran know if he doesn't already. 

Just now, KiDisaster said:

I get this occasionally on my phone as well, but I just hit "back" and I'm able to go back to the thread I wanted to read. I thought it was just me but if it's happening to other people as well then it must be something with the site. We should let Ran know if he doesn't already. 

I was wondering if it was just me too.  It used to happen much less frequently and hitting back would work and then I could go to a topic, but this weekend it was every. damn. time.

@Ran do you have thoughts on this?

Just now, Rhom said:

I was wondering if it was just me too.  It used to happen much less frequently and hitting back would work and then I could go to a topic, but this weekend it was every. damn. time.

@Ran do you have thoughts on this?

I just checked the Board Issues thread in the Help forum and there's already several posts about it. I just posted there as well. Most people seem to be using Safari on iPhone but I'm on Android using the Chrome browser. 

1 minute ago, KiDisaster said:

I just checked the Board Issues thread in the Help forum and there's already several posts about it. I just posted there as well. Most people seem to be using Safari on iPhone but I'm on Android using the Chrome browser. 

Ah... thanks... like I said, I rarely venture outside Ent and Lit; so I didn't know the proper protocol!

There are some crazy people in other sub-forums!  I feel much safer here in my comfort zone.  :lol: 

Big ME:A patch incoming, and it looks like another substantial one (with more character creator variety (yay!)) in another 2 months.

Kinda puts a timeline on buying it for me. I don't see myself buying it before the next patch 2 months hence. I guess I should now go and get Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Also, anyone got thoughts on the Tell Tale Guardians of the Galaxy game? It could be really good, or it could be very very bad.

So far I would say my favourite TTG game has been Tales from the Borderlands, followed by The Walking Dead (Season 1 and 2), followed by Game of Thrones. All have been good.

16 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Big ME:A patch incoming, and it looks like another substantial one (with more character creator variety (yay!)) in another 2 months.

Kinda puts a timeline on buying it for me. I don't see myself buying it before the next patch 2 months hence. I guess I should now go and get Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Also, anyone got thoughts on the Tell Tale Guardians of the Galaxy game? It could be really good, or it could be very very bad.

So far I would say my favourite TTG game has been Tales from the Borderlands, followed by The Walking Dead (Season 1 and 2), followed by Game of Thrones. All have been good.

Any word on S2 for GoT? I look sporadically but never see a word about it.

Finished up Nioh over the weekend and got my platinum trophy this morning.  It's a really solid game that I will most likely come back to in a few months after the DLC is released.

Now on to the last Dark Souls 3 DLC.

I finished Zero Dawn last weekend and thought it was great, but the downside is that I'm having a really hard time getting into ME:A now.

It feels like all the thing HZD did well, ME:A does very poorly.  Granted, I'm only a few hours into it, so i'll keep slogging, but I may have to set it aside for a bit and come back to it when HZD is not so fresh in my mind.

Archived