U.S. Politics: Moscow on the Potomac

4 minutes ago, r'hllor's reformed lobster said:

gotta imagine the folks who suffer this very day under the lingering effects of the antebellum racially policies that fuckhead fought to defend might appreciate it

This  is  what I'm trying to get at, thanks for saying so.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Totally agree. I'm not defending the slogans or tactics of these idiots. They are clearly racially motivated and need to join the rest of us here in the 21st century. Why you would want to identify with a horrific, failed ideology is beyond me. 

I totally get that. I just want everyone reading this thread to grok the importance of that particular phrase. There is no dancing around the genesis and modern deployment of it, any more than there's dancing around people who proclaim Blut und Ehre ("Blood and Hono(u)r"). One of the shittier and more depressing aspects of being a moderator at a decently trafficked site is needing a nuanced understanding of current expressions of hate speech, including symbols, and the context in which they're deployed. :\

20 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I totally get that. I just want everyone reading this thread to grok the importance of that particular phrase. There is no dancing around the genesis and modern deployment of it, any more than there's dancing around people who proclaim Blut und Ehre ("Blood and Hono(u)r"). One of the shittier and more depressing aspects of being a moderator at a decently trafficked site is needing a nuanced understanding of current expressions of hate speech, including symbols, and the context in which they're deployed. :\

Yeah, this shit is scary, no doubt about it. It's really puzzling to me as to why folks would want to attach themselves to the phrases of one of the scariest and most despicable political parties that has ever existed. Like the "lugenpresse" guy from the Trump rally earlier last year. You can certainly make a reasonable case for the failings and partisan hackery that the MSM engages in. Why the hell would you want to use a fucking Nazi buzzword to make your point? Assholish dipshittery of a like that I will never understand...

/Don't really care for the Young Turks much, but this was the only related link that came up when I typed lugenpresse into the You Tubey search bar...

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, this shit is scary, no doubt about it. It's really puzzling to me as to why folks would want to attach themselves to the phrases of one of the scariest and most despicable political parties that has ever existed.

Probably because it's a pretty good phrase and its associations are not obvious. Good propaganda is one of the reasons despicable people often get further than they ought to.

That said, you're not wrong about it being a bit scary. Somebody had better come up with an alternative ideology soon or else all sorts of historical motifs that were thought to be buried quite some time ago will come crawling back...

13 minutes ago, Altherion said:

That said, you're not wrong about it being a bit scary. Somebody had better come up with an alternative soon or else all sorts of historical motifs that were thought to be buried quite some time ago will come crawling back...

Lulz. But that's part and parcel of what I'm talking about. Fake News is a perfectly legit phrase and complaint. There are clear examples of Fake News that can be reasonably labeled as such. The phrase gets abused and misused for sure, but the basic idea behind the label is sound. That said, when you use the word lugenpresse, and you're not German, you are clearly making a Nazi reference. It's like reverse virtue signaling or something.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lulz. But that's part and parcel of what I'm talking about. Fake News is a perfectly legit phrase and complaint. There are clear examples of Fake News that can be reasonably labeled as such. The phrase gets abused and misused for sure, but the basic idea behind the label is sound. That said, when you use the word lugenpresse, and you're not German, you are clearly making a Nazi reference. It's like reverse virtue signaling or something.

I think you're being overly optimistic with regard to fake news: labeling gets hard when a non-trivial fraction of the population thinks that the mainstream media are a pack of liars.

By the way, I edited the post you quoted to clarify that I meant an alternative ideology and not an alternative phrasing. The phrasing itself is indeed a form of signaling and not much more than that (not yet, anyway).

26 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Probably because it's a pretty good phrase and its associations are not obvious. Good propaganda is one of the reasons despicable people often get further than they ought to.

That said, you're not wrong about it being a bit scary. Somebody had better come up with an alternative ideology soon or else all sorts of historical motifs that were thought to be buried quite some time ago will come crawling back...

what sort of "alternative ideology" do you mean? like, these antisemitic ethno-nationalist are just aping nsdp/neo-nazi semiotics for lack of better messaging?

29 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I think you're being overly optimistic with regard to fake news: labeling gets hard when a non-trivial fraction of the population thinks that the mainstream media are a pack of liars.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to come off as being optimistic about that. It's a proper fucking mess. I just mean to say that when you look at the sort of Facebookcentric propaganda that was digested as "News" this election cycle, Fake News is a proper title.

While Trump has managed to paint the MSM with his bullshit brush, they have managed to provide some grist for that mill as well. It is truly a sad state of affairs.

27 minutes ago, commiedore said:

what sort of "alternative ideology" do you mean? like, these antisemitic ethno-nationalist are just aping nsdp/neo-nazi semiotics for lack of better messaging?

More or less. There is a small core group that would probably be doing this regardless, but there wouldn't be enough of them to hold that protest if most Americans believed the country is going in the right direction or at least agree on what the right direction is. The US does not have a coherent ideology right now. There's a great deal of self-righteousness, but, as last November demonstrated, no agreement. This void is slowly being filled by groups reprising various historical movements both on the left and on the right. So far, they have mostly been either negligibly small or opposed to each other in a way that prevents them from imposing much change, but this cannot last forever.

As to what ideology should eventually arise... I personally do not know, but I'm fairly confident that at this point messaging alone will not be sufficient -- there must be a significant redistribution of resources.

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

Charlottesville, VA is the town of the founding father of white supremacy, Thomas Jefferson

I had not realized Thomas Jefferson was considered the founding father of white supremacy.

ETA: The torches and chants of "Russia is our friend" leave me absolutely disgusted at how so many trainwrecked minds can coalesce and publicly spread their twisted shit. 

Trump just keeps digging himself in deeper:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-and-democrats-agree-if-trump-has-tapes-he’ll-need-to-turn-them-over-to-congress/ar-BBB7wT1?ocid=msnclassic

Given Trump, I expect him to deny the tapes exist when the subpoena comes out, then three weeks later threaten to use said tapes against yet another official.   

Lawmakers in both parties said Sunday that President Trump will need to hand over any recordings of conversations in the White House if such a taping system does exist.

Trump suggested Friday that he taped private White House conversations with then-FBI Director James B. Comey, who was abruptly fired last week, and White House officials have not confirmed or denied the existence of a recording system

14 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, I just don't think it's worth much at the end of the day. It's simply going to ramp up the division that has already reached a near breaking point, and for what? I think this particular issue is misguided and a waste of effort. 

Part of that division though is the continued hero worship of people who actively pushed for slavery, would you not agree?  How many decades should black people be forced to commemorate these stains on American history?  And they should keep doing it because it might hurt the feelings of white supremacists who have been at the breaking point since the end of the civil war?

This should have been done 100 years ago.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

For the first time since Trump was elected, I actually think there's a chance that Republicans could pursue impeachment.

What makes you think that? The House at least seems as lockstep in support of him as ever. And I feel like we've already found the fire, its not just smoke, so I'm not sure what else could crop up that'll flip them.

I'm pinning my hopes on senate inaction and administration incompetence preserving as much of the policy status quo as possible and that Democrats flip the House and a whole lot of governors' mansions in the midterms.

These blinkety blank blank blanks.  Seriously?  A Congressman interfering directly in the employment relationship of a constituent?  While perhaps legal, what a crippity crap way to behave.  And, btw, if you live in that district, I know one of the people running against him.  I used to work with her.  In fact, I hired her.  She is fabulous.  

1 hour ago, Fez said:

What makes you think that? The House at least seems as lockstep in support of him as ever. And I feel like we've already found the fire, its not just smoke, so I'm not sure what else could crop up that'll flip them.

I'm pinning my hopes on senate inaction and administration incompetence preserving as much of the policy status quo as possible and that Democrats flip the House and a whole lot of governors' mansions in the midterms.

A combination of Trump openly admitting that he committed a crime, his cratering poll numbers (he's in the mid 30's in several polls), firing Comey and likely going to fire several more staffers, and Republican talking heads are openly trashing him. It won't happen tomorrow, or any time soon, but I think it's now on the table. 

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

These blinkety blank blank blanks.  Seriously?  A Congressman interfering directly in the employment relationship of a constituent?  While perhaps legal, what a crippity crap way to behave.  And, btw, if you live in that district, I know one of the people running against him.  I used to work with her.  In fact, I hired her.  She is fabulous.  

What a POS that Republican is.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

These blinkety blank blank blanks.  Seriously?  A Congressman interfering directly in the employment relationship of a constituent? 

A Republican congressman in March targeted an activist by writing a letter to the woman's employer accusing her of working against "economic growth" and "stronger national security," WNYC reported.

This clown actually thinks Republicans are good at this economic growth thing? His evidence is what exactly?

And what in the hell he thinks George Bush was? Napolean or von Manstein reborn?

Archived