Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thranta flyer

Sam's Book Excavations...

Recommended Posts

For a start, the same ones Tyrion was interested in: the '100-year old discourse on the changing of the seasons by a long-dead maester' for which libraries are burned; 'Death of Dragons' by Barth for which people are assassinated; as well as a copy of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' for which we are all still sitting here staring up all moony at the 'bloody blue'!  ;)

P.S.  Welcome to the forum.  However, in the same breath, I advise you to leave before the patternmaker's maze has its way with you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those would be great.  I'd like to see those and something written by Blood Raven and some of those rumored Valayrian books :).

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm already caught.  When I decided to join a couple days ago, I got a message saying my email addy was in use, so I checked it out, and I joined in 2014 but never posted and forgot.  It's drawn me back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something about the Others. Some first men oral tradition should have been written by the andal conquerors and left forgotten in some library

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something about the origin of the dragons. A fragment of Bart Unnatural History. And why the archmaesters apparently want to eradicate magic and the dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The prophecy that changed Rhaegar's life.

If it exists, the prophecy that led to the catspaw attack on Bran.

Any of the titles described in Marwyn's Book of Lost Books:

See here? Marwyn claims to have found three pages of Signs and Portents, visions written down by the maiden daughter of Aenar Targaryen before the Doom came to Valyria.

- Lord Rodrik Harlaw, The Kraken's Daughter, AFFC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just waiting for Sam the Slayer to become Sam the Slayer of Citadel Lies. That is going to be fantastic :devil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Runes of the First Men so Sam can translate the inscription on the broken horn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LynnS said:

The Runes of the First Men so Sam can translate the inscription on the broken horn.

Hey! That is a good one. I just hope it doesn't turn out to say, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Hey! That is a good one. I just hope it doesn't turn out to say, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

I found myself looking for the "like" button for this post.

The inscription might just say, "For a fat, pink mast, be sure to drink your Ovaltine!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Hey! That is a good one. I just hope it doesn't turn out to say, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

LOL!  I'm guessing it will say: "You'll shoot your eye out!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seams said:

I found myself looking for the "like" button for this post.

The inscription might just say, "For a fat, pink mast, be sure to drink your Ovaltine!"

 

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

LOL!  I'm guessing it will say: "You'll shoot your eye out!"

Glad to see we agree :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was re-reading The world of ice and fire and this caught my eye

Hardhome was once the only settlement approaching a town in the lands beyond the Wall, sheltered on Storrold's Point and commanding a deepwater harbor. But six hundred years ago, it was burned and its people destroyed, though the Watch cannot say for a certainty what happened. Some say that cannibals from Skagos fell on them, others that slavers from across the narrow sea were at fault. The strangest stories, from a ship of the Watch sent to investigate, tell of hideous screams echoing down from the cliffs above Hardhome, where no living man or woman could be found.

A most fascinating account of Hardhome can be found in Maester Wyllis's Hardhome: An Account of Three Years Spent Beyond-the-Wall among Savages, Raiders, and Woodswitches. Wyllis journeyed to Hardhome on a Pentoshi trader and established himself there as a healer and counselor so that he might write of their customs. He was given the protection of Gorm the Wolf—a chieftain who shared control of Hardhome with three other chiefs. When Gorm was murdered in a drunken brawl, however, Wyllis found himself in mortal danger and made his way back to Oldtown. There he set down his account, only to vanish the year after the illuminations were done. It was said in the Citadel that he was last seen at the docks, looking for a ship that would take him to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea.

It would be one of the more accurate accounts north of the wall since he actually went there for a significant period of time. And then all of a sudden he felt the need to go back. I thought it was interesting anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Book excavation, the perfect description of Sam's relation to books.

Quote

One more book, he had told himself, then I'll stop. One more folio, just one more. One more page, then I'll go up and rest and get a bite to eat. But there was always another page after that one, and another after that, and another book waiting underneath the pile. I'll just take a quick peek to see what this one is about, he'd think, and before he knew he would be halfway through it. He had not eaten since that bowl of bean-and-bacon soup with Pyp and Grenn. Well, except for the bread and cheese, but that was only a nibble, he thought. 

A Feast for Crows - Samwell I

@Makk, I'll second your choice- Hardhome intrigues me.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2017 at 9:40 PM, thranta flyer said:

What would be the most interesting document, book, compendium, etc... that Sam could dig up in Oldtown or at the Wall?

How to treat/cure greyscale 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 hours ago, Makk said:

I was re-reading The world of ice and fire and this caught my eye

Hardhome was once the only settlement approaching a town in the lands beyond the Wall, sheltered on Storrold's Point and commanding a deepwater harbor. But six hundred years ago, it was burned and its people destroyed, though the Watch cannot say for a certainty what happened. Some say that cannibals from Skagos fell on them, others that slavers from across the narrow sea were at fault. The strangest stories, from a ship of the Watch sent to investigate, tell of hideous screams echoing down from the cliffs above Hardhome, where no living man or woman could be found.

A most fascinating account of Hardhome can be found in Maester Wyllis's Hardhome: An Account of Three Years Spent Beyond-the-Wall among Savages, Raiders, and Woodswitches. Wyllis journeyed to Hardhome on a Pentoshi trader and established himself there as a healer and counselor so that he might write of their customs. He was given the protection of Gorm the Wolf—a chieftain who shared control of Hardhome with three other chiefs. When Gorm was murdered in a drunken brawl, however, Wyllis found himself in mortal danger and made his way back to Oldtown. There he set down his account, only to vanish the year after the illuminations were done. It was said in the Citadel that he was last seen at the docks, looking for a ship that would take him to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea.

It would be one of the more accurate accounts north of the wall since he actually went there for a significant period of time. And then all of a sudden he felt the need to go back. I thought it was interesting anyway.

Now this is interesting, note that it says "they did not find a LIVING man or woman", but I would be very interested to know if they found any dead.  If not, I think the Others may have plucked that gem to feed their armies.

I'd be really interested to know why that maester went back and what he found.  I'm thinking that living with wildings that long is going to change your thinking a bit when you get that much closer to the tales of children of the forest, giants, and the others.  I wonder if he reread or found something new at the citadel that concerned him/made him go back.  I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for any information about that one or a lost tome by that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×