Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

Yeah, but I gave up on logic a long time ago in a show about dragons, zombies and zombie babies tbh. Clearly, the budget went to Dany deus ex machina this season and while I was sorry to see the consequences, it was also fitting to have a moment where everyone atop Drogon was surely thinking, "Oh shit, the Night King can do that?! Now what?" 

A little piece of me dies inside with every episode after Season 4 (The Children is my favorite episode of the show so far).  Fortunately the first 4 seasons gave me such strong reserves that I can go on for a while yet.  This is not the same show as what it used to be.  I will still ride it out though since I have so many years invested emotionally.

As i said in the rant thread :

GRRM must share part of the blame, when they started adapting the books to tv-screen i'm sure that they never thought he won't finish Winds of Winter until now. You can't expect D&D to write a good script in 1 year, when it takes GRRM more than 7 to write it down. At first they began by adapting a book to tv-screen, know they have to create from scratch, even though Martin told them how the books and the main storylines will end. Thankfully the quality of the CGI, the acting, the cast and so on keeps the emotion there for me, not so much for others though.

They also have to fast-track everything, i don't think many people will have loved seeing Gendry spend like 2 episodes in getting to Davos. 

The first point of absurdity about the effort to capture a wight was their purpose for doing so.  They don't need to convince Cersei to stop the war and turn her attention to the threat from beyond the wall, if they can just convince Dany.  With Dany and her dragons and the Dothraki and the Unsullied and the Lords of the North and the Free Folk and a lot of dragon glass and a few Valyrion swords on Jon's side, they could face the threat together, and let the Lannisters (who are never to be trusted) do whatever they want in their part of Westeros until the Night's King is defeated.Then they can come back south and deal with the Lannisters.  Everything from this first point on just becomes increasingly absurd.  And as a result the Night's King now has the very tool he needs to melt a hole through the wall, whereas up until now he and his army were contained.

I want to know what stopped the wights from simply walking across the bottom of the lake bed and crawling up that island. Not like they can suffer frostobite or even need to breathe. So what if the ice breaks, just means they have to talk a little harder.

1 hour ago, GeorgeIAF said:

As i said in the rant thread :

GRRM must share part of the blame, when they started adapting the books to tv-screen i'm sure that they never thought he won't finish Winds of Winter until now. You can't expect D&D to write a good script in 1 year, when it takes GRRM more than 7 to write it down. At first they began by adapting a book to tv-screen, know they have to create from scratch, even though Martin told them how the books and the main storylines will end. Thankfully the quality of the CGI, the acting, the cast and so on keeps the emotion there for me, not so much for others though.

They also have to fast-track everything, i don't think many people will have loved seeing Gendry spend like 2 episodes in getting to Davos. 

Part?  I'd say most of the blame lies with GRRM.  Selling his story's rights before even finishing the story.  You could argue that HBO were also daft for purchasing the story when it wasn't even finished but in reality the show has been a major success so I doubt many people are HBO are sorry about it.  And in truth I doubt GRRM is that bothered either.  He is now a very rich man.  And his book publishers won't mind because, thanks to the show, they've already sold more ASOIAF books than they thought was possible.  So the only real losers in the books not being finished are the readers.

I just really wish that GRRM had been realistic and concentrated on helping and writing for the show once it was clear that TWOW wasn't going to come out in time.  Because as much as he is to blame (not just because he has been so slow, but also because AFFC and ADWD were a marked decline in story telling quality comparative to the first three) there is no doubt that had GRRM been involved the overall quality of the show would have been even better than it is now.

I don't understand why they needed Forrest Gendry when Bran has been staring at that tree for months... they couldn't have made my dude watch as a bird, notice events turn belly up when they sent him running off, and had him be the one that sent a raven to Dragonstone?  Winterfell is still quite the hike from there, but it's sooooooooooooooooo much closer, eliminates the ~day he ran for, the who knows how long the bird flew for, and the speed of sound the dragons clearly fly at...

3 hours ago, Sand11751 said:

Yeah, but I gave up on logic a long time ago in a show about dragons, zombies and zombie babies tbh. Clearly, the budget went to Dany deus ex machina this season and while I was sorry to see the consequences, it was also fitting to have a moment where everyone atop Drogon was surely thinking, "Oh shit, the Night King can do that?! Now what?" 

Good food for thought, but regarding the reference to "dragons, zombies and zombie babies":

In fantasy fiction and/or sci-fi, some things are understood to be subject to a reasonable suspension of disbelief (even if a viewer or reader does not happen to be a person who believes in an 11-dimensional theory of the multiverse).

But each story has its own internal rules that are established, and if THOSE rules are violated, we have a problem.

For example, Tyrion is not physically stronger than Gregor Clegane. Period.  If we were to see Tyrion beat Gregor Clegane in a contest of physical strength, we would consider that ludicrous, despite the fact that we are watching a show that has dragons, zombies, and zombie babies.

So, that's how I view it.   As long as an author of fantasy fiction and/or sci-fi sets up rules and follows them, I'm fine with that.  But if they start flagrantly disregarding their own internal rules, then we've got a problem, far as I'm concerned.

3 hours ago, Euron's Mom said:

A little piece of me dies inside with every episode after Season 4 (The Children is my favorite episode of the show so far).  Fortunately the first 4 seasons gave me such strong reserves that I can go on for a while yet.  This is not the same show as what it used to be.  I will still ride it out though since I have so many years invested emotionally.

Great stuff.

Yeah, I still enjoy the show (indeed, I gave Ep. 704 a "10" just two weeks ago), but yeah, things changed when they started diverging heavily from the books, which was right around the time you mentioned (end of Season 4)

Archived