US politics: Just another Mueller Monday

IheartIheartTesla

58 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Just reading that made some of my brain cells die.

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

So - on the Va race, my parents have been getting disturbing text messages purportedlyfrom the DNC (including saying things like their neighbors are watching them). Anyone know what’s going on there?  A lot of text messages are addreessed to wrong person. 

An idiot with a mass text program? Might want to contact the police on that one.

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

The scary thing about Fox news now picking up things that were previously relegated to infowars is that it gives credibility to things like infowars.  It's terrifying to watch the evolution of family members who were simple run of the mill conservatives who only watched Fox News but kinda sorta weren't all that psycho but who are now actively posting from breitbart and peddling infowars conspiracy theories.  Although, tbf, for my family I think the Vegas murders helped push them in that direction because there have just never been good answers for why it happened.  Still, they were already heading that way too and now that Fox has greenlit this shit, they no longer have to even include caveats like "I usually don't post these sorts of things."

What????? Fox News NOW scrary? WTF about FN and rush and all the aligned for decades? 

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Just curious whether the stuff that looks like it is from the Democrats actually is. 

Well, one would hope the DNC (or whomever) isn't trying to intentionally creep out their targets, but who knows, maybe it's a tactic to emphasize their incompetence.

Anyway, the RCP average has Northam up by 3.3 (47.7 to 44.4) while 538's trendline is pretty much the same, Northam up 3 and the race not only tightening but Northam losing support in the past few weeks.  Should be interesting tomorrow in Virginia.  That's basically a wash in a governor's race, especially with the volatility of the polling throughout October.  Jersey, OTOH, should hopefully not be interesting.

40 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Scarier. As full of shit as Fox has been over the years, they've never approached Alex Jones level of nutbaggery.

Dunno about that.  Jones owes a huge debt to Beck's FNC tenure, which was 6-8 years ago.  Plus Hannity's always been more than happy to traffic in the highest levels of nutbaggery when it serves him ever since he turned Alan Colmes back into a skeleton (too soon?)

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

Dunno about that.  Jones owes a huge debt to Beck's FNC tenure, which was 6-8 years ago.  Plus Hannity's always been more than happy to traffic in the highest levels of nutbaggery when it serves him ever since he turned Alan Colmes back into a skeleton (too soon?)

Beck's a fair point. His Fox stuff certainly reached a Jones level of performance artistry...

Hannity certainly gloms onto some of the darkest stuff and beats it into the ground (The Seth Rich thing most recently), but his Whack-a-doodle fu is so weak, I have trouble believing that anyone buys into his act. Beck and Jones are kind of unique in their commitment to their art. They really mastered that unhinged energy. 

It's staggering to me that anyone --let alone 1/3rd of the country-- can be cognitively compromised to the point of believing this mango hued con man... the fact that he is emotionally disturbed, changes his reality for his immediate convenience, makes things up as he goes along, is not very bright, and has (at best) a grade school understanding of sociology, economics, and political science. is apparent to anyone with the slightest understanding of socio/political basics... hell... to anyone who isn;t a manic, bigoted dullard... Moreover, how can anyone who defines themselves as a "Christian" support someone so morally bankrupt?

The tragedy is that this medium is inadequate to vent properly... there is simply to much nonsense to address ... I wrote a book about how Christian Dominionim is less about religion, and is actually the sociological means employed by capital interests towards achieving a two-tier, Orwellian economy... and as our heads are exploding over the insanity of this administration, the wealth gap between the financial elite, and everyone else continues to increase... in the end, the chaos serves them well. 

Sorry... I'm on my first mug of morning coffee.

@dmc515, @Manhole Eunuchsbane, @Darth Richard II

The political science department at my alma mater had an unusual honors system. There were only a couple of actual honors courses, so to earn honors credits outside of them you either had to take a graduate level course or assist a professor on a project they were working on. I did the latter during my junior year, so I had to watch Glenn Beck’s show every day for both the fall and spring semesters and document the amount of time he spent doing “hard news” versus the amount of time he spent on conspiracy theory stuff. It was a horrifying affair. I also had to watch Hannity’s show for a semester, and that that was also pretty freaking awful.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The political science department at my alma mater had an unusual honors system. There were only a couple of actual honors courses, so to earn honors credits outside of them you either had to take a graduate level course or assist a professor on a project they were working on. I did the latter during my junior year, so I had to watch Glenn Beck’s show every day for both the fall and spring semesters and document the amount of time he spent doing “hard news” versus the amount of time he spent on conspiracy theory stuff. It was a horrifying affair. I also had to watch Hannity’s show for a semester, and that that was also pretty freaking awful.

Just have to say, I think I'd have ethical concerns, having somebody watch conservative commentators as an experiment.

It probably causes brain damage.

Once you get out of law school and get your license, you might want to think about suing.

15 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, that'll happen soon.

We had this entire thing erupt for a week because Donna fucking Brazile decided to lie in her book, and everyone went with it. Meanwhile the DNC is still underfunded, Democrats still have no actual message worth a damn, there are still major divides and everyone seems to think that the way to beat Trump is by going excessively progressive, because that works wonders. 

I think that happened by and large because Sanders supporters have always suspected that there wasn’t a level playing field during the primaries and Clinton supporters have always mocked them to some degree for believing so, and now in their eyes they have proof that they were right. Again, I think it would go a long ways if Clinton supporters would extend them some measure of sympathy, but to this point I’ve yet to ever see it.

Again, only way I can see this working is if Sanders wins the nomination, because he's otherwise way too willing to poison the well even more, and Trump is happy to egg him on into doing it.

I sincerely doubt that Sanders will run again, and even if he does, he doesn’t have to win. The primary winner, and their supporters, just have to be less condescending towards the Sanders crowd, and thankfully I suspect that Harris will be the winner, so that won’t be a problem because I’m sure they can gravitate to her.

52 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's brutal. I could only handle Beck in like 10 minute stretches, and that was pushing it. And Hannity is just a black hole of suck. Like there is literally nothing entertaining about that guy. How he ever got past radio is beyond me.

Alright, let the baseless, premature VA speculation begin.

Apparently turnout is pretty massive in the early hours, and Alexandria has already had a turnout (including absentee) that matches 30% of the expected turnout based on last election, with Falls Church being even higher.

(I know, but we have to pass the next 10 hours somehow, and I'm not going to start drinking until in 5.)

Archived