NFL 2017: Jared vs. Case Is Why Fisher Will Never Coach Again

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

DO you think this incident will cost him his "Gronk being Gronk" defense that lets him get away with so much stuff? 

Only if the refs start calling the terrible PI done to him and stop the phantom PI calls they call on him.  

Also, one game seems completely fair.  

As far as McAdoo goes, I think what happened was that the GM wanted Eli benched and McAdoo agreed.  So when that was botched, they both got fired.  I know why they fired the GM, but I think its ultimately a bad move.  That GM built two Superbowl teams and found OBJ.  I think this was a penny wise to be a pound foolish.  

8 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Only if the refs start calling the terrible PI done to him and stop the phantom PI calls they call on him.  

Also, one game seems completely fair.  

I'm not sure how that's related to what I said, but I can get how it must be frustrating as a Pats fan to watch it. But to be fair, Gronk is kind of like Shaq in that it's impossible to ref him fairly.

9 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

As far as McAdoo goes, I think what happened was that the GM wanted Eli benched and McAdoo agreed.  So when that was botched, they both got fired.  I know why they fired the GM, but I think its ultimately a bad move.  That GM built two Superbowl teams and found OBJ.  I think this was a penny wise to be a pound foolish.  

Word on the street is they were both getting fired at the end of the year, and botching Eli's benching was the final straw. I do think they needed to do it though to see what they had in the rookie (I have no idea why Geno got the start. We know what he is and isn't). And I don't see anything wrong with firing Reese. Those two Owls were dumb luck more than anything else, and the roster has been bad for a while now. Any Giants fan could tell you that they needed to build an O-Line for Eli for years now and they've completely failed to do so. I mean, after OBJ, is there anyone on the roster that you'd actively want on your team? There's maybe a few guys on the defense, but that's about it. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

DO you think this incident will cost him his "Gronk being Gronk" defense that lets him get away with so much stuff? 

What does he do that needs defending? What does he get away with? Acting like a meathead with a party bus? Probably won't hurt him with the fanbase, but maybe the team puts the screws to him more about keeping low profile in the offseason.

But honestly, for a guy who lives his life so loudly, he doesn't get in trouble with law or women. So I'm not sure what he's getting away with except being a young, rich single athlete who enjoys his life, puts in the work at the team facility, and generally keeps out of trouble.

12 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

It's my understanding they thought Eli would be okay with starting and keeping his streak alive then sitting.  And presented it to him as a plan, which he vetoed.  With a player of his caliber and reputation, the wiser course would have been to have asked him to come up with a plan whereby Davis Webb got some snaps in meaningful games this season and seen if an arrangement could be made.

Geno Smith had no business being any part of the discussion.  He's a known factor and that is "not a QB to lead a franchise in the long term".

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure how that's related to what I said, but I can get how it must be frustrating as a Pats fan to watch it. But to be fair, Gronk is kind of like Shaq in that it's impossible to ref him fairly.

Yeah, I don't get that equivalency at all. PI calls suck and whatnot, but if you're talking about an actual play that could get people legitimately injured and knock them out of the league? Sorry, they're not the same.

And I'm telling you! I will, I will make the NFL Owners, the BILLIONAIRES! punish their players. We're going to get these guys, these guys who kneel and who steal. Let me tell you, they're not sending their best Hombres! A lot of these guys, BLACKS! Yikes! The blacks love me, they do. Because they respect, that there will be NO CRIME on our fields!

Do you know how bad this league is? It's a disaster! The Browns have been such a disaster that since 2016 they've somehow lost even more contests than the Democratic party! It's a terrible party, full of moneyballs and Jacksons, great Jacksons! It's my favorite thing to receive bundles of in non-sequential bills!

But really? Who am I kidding? I couldn't read those Russian number squiggles if I tried!

I'm on my way to CINCInati! Where the Pennsylvania Thieves will fight the Orientals! Or maybe it's the Indians! Not the kind my favorite President committed genocide against, but the red dot ones like that terrorist from Sillicon Valley! Another Jackson case here, folks, with the head coaches being two... sub-Saharan Americans! One has an undisciplined team of thugs, bullies, criminals, and primadonas. The other team once was involved in the worst playoff game in NFL history.

Tell me if you've heard this one before. Russia! It's all about Russia in Washington with the liberal media, it's all about Russia in Baltimore. Baltimore! Where they have criminals roaming the streets like tribes! I've never seen anything like this folks! Joe Flacco has one moderately not-terrible! game! And they want to make him king instead of me! But I'm above the law! I will make sure that Daniel Woodhead is the hero of that team! He's the white Rex Ryan Jesus who put me where I am today. Covered in sadness by the presence of the Colts' chances at the #2 pick.

Pence! Mike Pence! Oh, you really screwed up in Indiana, Mike! But we have to stick together, Mike! Because they'll never arrest me as long as you keep putting the time in with the big man while on your knees! I hate to tell you, Mike! But you're going to have to send your wife back to the Church where she mentors Jim Irsay! I can't have you distracted now, and you see her too often at your semi-annual handshake ceremony as it is! I need you focused, and Jim could use the help.

By god, Mike! The state of your local sports franchises are a stunningly awful referendum on your tenure as governor! The Pacers wasted the career of their best player since Reggie Miller while the Colts went from an annual AFC Title Game expected particpant to a moderately feisty one-man offense to a horrible farce of competency with a shitty insurance policy on what might be a broken Franchise Cornerstone!

It's terrible! Chuck Pagano, he knows he's going Mike! He's got to go! And this Ballard guy, I don't know Mike! This guy did so much, and now these guys are all gone! And the team is struggling to not be done!

It's stunning! Absolutely stunning that the Giants cannot get one more goddamn win! I just know that the Colts are gonna win one and god forbid even two more games and see that top-3 opportunity fade to a top-10 deal.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

What does he do that needs defending? What does he get away with? Acting like a meathead with a party bus? Probably won't hurt him with the fanbase, but maybe the team puts the screws to him more about keeping low profile in the offseason.

But honestly, for a guy who lives his life so loudly, he doesn't get in trouble with law or women. So I'm not sure what he's getting away with except being a young, rich single athlete who enjoys his life, puts in the work at the team facility, and generally keeps out of trouble.

Yeah that's sort of what I was getting at. The only other player in the league who gets a pass where others wouldn't is Lynch. I'm not saying he's doing anything illegal or even morally questionable, but players don't usually get to be a public meathead and clown like he does. 

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, I don't get that equivalency at all. PI calls suck and whatnot, but if you're talking about an actual play that could get people legitimately injured and knock them out of the league? Sorry, they're not the same.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Agreed. It deserved an ejection and a 1-2 game ban. Some people make it sound like it was the dirtiest hit ever.

That was one of the dirtiest hits I've ever seen in an NFL game. Visciously directed at the head, on a defenseless player, after the play was over and completely unrelated to the game of football. It was an I am mad and trying to hurt somebody hit, and it did hurt somebody, in the exact type of way that has the long term viability of the league in jeopardy.

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

That was one of the dirtiest hits I've ever seen in an NFL game. Visciously directed at the head, on a defenseless player, after the play was over and completely unrelated to the game of football. It was an I am mad and trying to hurt somebody hit, and it did hurt somebody, in the exact type of way that has the long term viability of the league in jeopardy.

QF fucking T. Thank you. 

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah that's sort of what I was getting at. The only other player in the league who gets a pass where others wouldn't is Lynch. I'm not saying he's doing anything illegal or even morally questionable, but players don't usually get to be a public meathead and clown like he does. 

I don't even see much to compare to Lynch. Lynch got in trouble for shunning the press and for unorthodox footwear, right? Gronk's party bus is, like, apples and oranges with that. Does it seem to you that Gronk is getting away with something by having so much fun in public? I'm sure he wouldn't get such unquestioningly positive feedback if he were black, or if he had a personality like Jay Cutler.

As for what the Pats/Belichick are willing to tolerate... well, that's fascinated me for a while. I really do wonder what that dynamic is like in the building. Does Belichick even talk to him about this stuff? I know Bob Kraft is supposed to have cautioned Gronk not that long ago about being careful, but all I've seen is that Gronk is actually pretty smart about how he handles his partying. I am impressed that there haven't been any awful stories to come out about his activities. Anyway, I kind of expect the Pats to trade him or cut him loose in the next year or two. The hits and age will begin his decline and then his shenanigans will be somebody else's problem.

As for McAdoo... Oh man, what a mess. I don't see what the team gets back by giving Manning his job back, except soothe the feelings of the fans who've spent the last five years bitching about Manning. I guess that small piece of counter-productive fan service is the least that franchise can do after their disastrous year, the asshole explosion of their best player, and that whole "helped cover up domestic abuse for a kicker before giving him an unnecessary extension" thing that I don't think they got raked over the coals for enough. More dysfunction in the House of Mara, please. Fuck the Giants, may they wander in the Jetsian wilderness for years.

40 minutes ago, sperry said:

Also QFT.  That it was Gronk doing it was shocking to me.  He's normally such a likeable guy.  But this was really, really bad.

49 minutes ago, Week said:

The hyperbole is unsurprising.

Thanks for your insightful defense of why the hit was not that bad. What's more unsurprising is that a Patriots fan is underplaying it. The reactions I have seen from the majority of football fans, regardless of team, are not so lenient. 

Anyway, in other, non-Gronk news, that hold call during Green's 60 yard TD was such unbelievable bullshit. God, shitty officiating really kills the buzz of a good game sometimes. 

Archived