College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

Gameday is going to Pullman, Washington this saturday for the Cougars hosting Oregon with control of the Pac12 north at stake.

I hope it's a raucous and celebratory atmosphere. it took them fifteen years of flying that damn flag to get Gameday to come to Pullman.

I still have no idea what to make of Michigan. I want to believe they are a good team but as soon as I do they will do something dumb like lose badly to MSU this weekend, or beat them and then fall apart against Penn St. Part of me wants to believe that if they played Notre Dame again they would win but the other part thinks, nah, not under Harbaugh.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:37 PM, Triskjavikson said:

ETA:  Oh, and not that Cal is anything too special, but UCLA got off the schnide and beat Cal in Berkeley 37-7 or something.  They had to start turning the corner at some point, so I figured they might be a landmine for someone later in the year.   Cal or Arizona seemed most likely, but I didn't think it would be this much of a beating ever by a previously 0-5 team.  

Cal coaches have made the decision to go with the "less ready to play but more potential" QB option in Brandon McIlwain,  McIlwain is less of a pocket passer and more of a running hybrid type.  And he is definitely showing growing pains.   My thoughts are that Mcilwain will either improve or the Golden Bears will recruit a stronger QB with a promise to be able to fight to start next season.

But UCLA deserves some credit as well.  The team is definitely improved and as you say will most likely jump up and bite someone on the backside later in the season.

Nebraska has won one, yay, finally! Nebraska's back, ok who's next, who's,,, oh... shit... (O. State)

Actually thanks to the cancelled first game, and the by-week next Saturday, we've scheduled Bethune-Cookman, so I guess we'll probably face Ohio State with 2 wins. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Nebraska has won one, yay, finally! Nebraska's back, ok who's next, who's,,, oh... shit... (O. State)

Actually thanks to the cancelled first game, and the by-week next Saturday, we've scheduled Bethune-Cookman, so I guess we'll probably face Ohio State with 2 wins. 

Well, Ohio State isn't exactly lighting the world on fire tonight. 

This all appears to just be a contest to see who Alabama steamrolls for another championship.

Buffalo overcame a terrible first half to score 24 unanswered in the second and win 31-17. They are now 7-1 on the season. Next up, a Tuesday game in 10 days against Miami OH.

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

And their QB Gardner Minshew would be a Heisman candidate if it weren't for two factors:  being the NW and the Mike Leech factor (i.e, system guy)

I remember Minshew's recruitment out of high school. He was record-setting, but the in-state schools didn't offer him for whatever reason (too small, or something). He ended up bouncing around a bit, but has certainly ended up in the right spot. Leach may produce system guys but he gets the absolute most out of them. Minshew is perfect for what WSU runs. 

Buffalo beat out Miami (OH) in a shootout last night, 51-42; they are now 8-1 on the season. There are no more historical comparisons, this is simply the greatest Bulls football team in school history; admittedly an extremely low bar. However, combine that with last season being the greatest season in men's basketball school history, and that all but one player from that team is back this season, its a good time to be a Bulls fan.

This morning on Golic and Wingo, I listened as they had an honest to God conversation with Paul Finebaum about Kentucky having a clearly defined path to the college football playoffs.

Is this real life @Ded As Ned can this be happening in my lifetime?!!?

I know we don't have a real chance, but the fact we are talking about it on the cusp of November is something I never thought I'd see.  Georgia is a 12 point favorite this weekend.  And they deserve to be.  But its at Kentucky, and it wouldn't be crazy to see us win that game.  I am excited to see us go out there and hopefully leave it all on the field.

Archived