US Politics: Borrow And Spend Conservatism Marches On

Mr. Chatywin et al.

7 hours ago, Week said:

It's remarkable how coordinated, stealth, and effective the Dems are at organizing and executing their agenda across society ... except in REAL LIFE.

Yeah, this is all it takes to discredit the absolutely ludicrous idea there is a conspiracy between the Democrats and the worldwide media at large. If they could possibly pull this off, they would be in office coast to coast. Including Canada and Mexico.

You can certainly reasonably read some commentary that way.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/10/asia/kim-sister-olympics/index.html

With a smile, a handshake and a warm message in South Korea's presidential guest book, Kim Yo Jong has struck a chord with the public just one day into the PyeongChang Games.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/11/world/asia/kim-yo-jong-mike-pence-olympics.html

Flashing a sphinx-like smile and without ever speaking in public, Ms. Kim managed to outflank Mr. Trump’s envoy to the Olympics, Vice President Mike Pence, in the game of diplomatic image-making.

Now, those articles do contain strong qualifiers reminding people of the fact that her brother runs an oppressive totalitarian dictatorship, but the accusation is not without merit. It would be a stretch to read into it anything more than the usual media fluff, though: the media love a story about a charming young woman, as Ivanka Trump can testify. This isn't a party political, left/right issue, it's a problem of media in general. 

25 minutes ago, mormont said:

... the media love a story about a charming young woman, as Ivanka Trump can testify. This isn't a party political, left/right issue, it's a problem of media in general. 

There is a general expectation that women are the keepers of morality. The idea that Trump is an arsewipe is routine. But the idea that his daughter, as a woman, would also have the audacity to be a  bottom-feeder scoundrel is harder to believe.

Similarly, Kim is insane, but it is just that little bit harder to accept that his sister is, too. Surely, people think, a woman would have a more gentle touch?

Of course, the reality is that being kind or cruel is unrelated to your gender.

It's working, voter ID laws work against minority voters and Democrat candidates. 

For years, researchers warned that laws requiring voters to show certain forms of photo identification at the poll would discriminate against racial minorities and other groups. Now, the first study has been released showing that the proliferation of voter ID laws in recent years has indeed driven down minority voter turnout, and by a significant amount.

In a new paper entitled “Voter Identification Laws and the Suppression of Minority Votes”, researchers at the University of California, San Diego — Zoltan Hajnal, Nazita Lajevardi — and Bucknell University — Lindsay Nielson — used data from the annual Cooperative Congressional Election Study to compare states with strict voter ID laws to those that allow voters without photo ID to cast a ballot. They found a clear and significant dampening effect on minority turnout in strict voter ID states.

For example, the researchers found that in primary elections, “a strict ID law could be expected to depress Latino turnout by 9.3 points, Black turnout by 8.6 points, and Asian American turnout by 12.5 points.”

The impact of strict voter ID was also evident in general elections, where minority turnout plummeted in relation to the white vote. “For Latinos in the general election, the predicted gap more than doubles from 4.9 points in states without strict ID laws to 13.5 points in states with strict photo ID laws,” the study found. That gap increased by 2.2 points for African Americans and by 5 points for Asian Americans. The effect was even more pronounced in primary elections.............................snip......................

In a key finding, the study showed that “Democratic turnout drops by an estimated 8.8 percentage points in general elections when strict photo identification laws are in place,” compared to just 3.6 percentage points for Republicans. Even worse for the left is the impact on the ideology of the electorate. “For strong liberals the estimated drop in turnout in strict photo identification states is an alarming 7.9 percentage points,” researchers found. “By contrast, strong conservatives actually vote at a slightly higher rate — 4.8 points — in strict ID states, all else equal.”

https://thinkprogress.org/study-finds-republican-voter-suppression-is-even-more-effective-than-you-think-3b2562ae2f52/

One small thing to add about the religious right and their continued support for Trump. I saw an interview this morning on Morning Joe with David Brody, who was pushing his new book The Faith of Donald J. Trump. He was getting lit up over his defense of Trump’s religiosity, and his only counterargument was that Trump is super religious in private despite being a public neophyte when it comes to religion. I’ve seen a lot of other prominent members of the religious right make the same argument, laughable as it is. I wonder if that is having a stronger effect than it would seem. There is a lot of data that indicates people will believe authority figures, no matter how absurd their arguments are, after all.  

Furthermore, has anyone ever gotten away with more garbage than Trump based on the argument that what he says in public is not what he says in private? Just take the Porter situation for example. Trump has made several public statements indicating he supports and believes Porter’s side while his aides all say in private he’s furious with him.

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

One small thing to add about the religious right and their continued support for Trump. I saw an interview this morning on Morning Joe with David Brody, who was pushing his new book The Faith of Donald J. Trump. He was getting lit up over his defense of Trump’s religiosity, and his only counterargument was that Trump is super religious in private despite being a public neophyte when it comes to religion. I’ve seen a lot of other prominent members of the religious right make the same argument, laughable as it is. I wonder if that is having a stronger effect than it would seem. There is a lot of data that indicates people will believe authority figures, no matter how absurd their arguments are, after all.  

Furthermore, has anyone ever gotten away with more garbage than Trump based on the argument that what he says in public is not what he says in private? Just take the Porter situation for example. Trump has made several public statements indicating he supports and believes Porter’s side while his aides all say in private he’s furious with him.

How many of these people still believe that even though Obama was a strong Christian faith leader in multiple public settings, that in private he was a secret Kenyan muslim?

These people are insane.

7 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Corker Reconsidering Senate Run

To the bolded, those are pretty big red flags...

But from that same article:

The Club for Growth, which has spent millions in past elections to defeat more moderate Republicans, will stick with [Representative Marsha] Blackburn regardless of whether Corker reverses course. Their poll showed Blackburn beating Fincher by more than 50 points and also showed Blackburn trouncing Corker.

“The message that I’d want to give to the folks trying to entice Corker into running: You shouldn’t do it, he’s gonna lose,” said Club President David McIntosh. “It would be a sad way for him to end his career to end up being defeated. We will continue to support Marsha.”

Corker dropped out because he didn't want to have to deal with a Republican primary, and the kowtowing to Trump that would be required.  Dropping out and then coming back would only make winning the primary that much harder, because Blackburn has already solidified support among the right with Corker out of the way.  The environment is going to be really bad for establishment Republicans in both the primary and the general. 

I personally see this as a non-issue.  The reasons that Corker had to drop out last year have not changed - if anything they've gotten stronger.  I doubt he comes back, and if he does, Blackburn probably defeats him.  Whether Blackburn wins the general will depend on how popular Trump is and whether Blackburn is a good enough candidate that her far-right views don't get her labeled as a kook (a la Christine O'Donnell or Todd Akin)

26 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I personally see this as a non-issue.  The reasons that Corker had to drop out last year have not changed - if anything they've gotten stronger.  I doubt he comes back, and if he does, Blackburn probably defeats him. 

I think the interesting part of the story is how weak Blackburn is already being perceived, not necessarily Corker.  And yeah, I doubt he changes his mind - although I'm slightly less bearish on his prospects if he does.

33 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Whether Blackburn wins the general will depend on how popular Trump is

Well, not entirely, that's the whole point of why that poll is so troubling - she's underperforming among Trump supporters and a generic ballot that favors the GOP.

2 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I think the interesting part of the story is how weak Blackburn is already being perceived, not necessarily Corker.  And yeah, I doubt he changes his mind - although I'm slightly less bearish on his prospects if he does.

Well, not entirely, that's the whole point of why that poll is so troubling - she's underperforming among Trump supporters and a generic ballot that favors the GOP.

I don't know too much about Blackburn, but every indication is that Republican Primaries nationwide are going to be really tough for establishment Republicans.  Trump constantly throws senators under the bus, and for the most part GOP voters love it.  Corker doesn't like Trump and doesn't want to embrace him to win, which more or less makes his decision for him. 

Tennessee looks like a very good pickup opportunity for Democrats.  Bredesen has his own brand in TN, and Trump won't be on the ballot.  It's still an uphill slog in such a conservative state, but at least it's easier than Alabama. 

57 minutes ago, aceluby said:

How many of these people still believe that even though Obama was a strong Christian faith leader in multiple public settings, that in private he was a secret Kenyan muslim?

These people are insane.

These people are racist. The word you are looking for is racist.

9 hours ago, mormont said:

the media love a story about a charming young woman, as Ivanka Trump can testify. This isn't a party political, left/right issue, it's a problem of media in general. 

What is the problem with media? The message was the North Koreans had a strategy to charm the South Koreans away from the Americans and it worked. 

15 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

So, hopes and dreams for tonight's special elections? If we flip the Oklahoma panhandle, I'll buy everyone on this forum a shiny new pair of binoculars so we can all watch the Republicans running for the hills.

Link a bitch to somewhere to follow?

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Omarosa is planning a tell-all book about the White House.

Friends of Trump are lining up to take shots at her.

Piers Morgan is now saying she offered to have sex with him in exchange for his support on Celebrity Apprentice.

Break out the popcorn!

She has truly fantastic tits. Like seriously. Are those real? Can I get them?

Here's a political debate I've been having with myself and wanted to get the board's opinion.  Which of the following 2018 election scenarios would you pick, given the choice?

Option 1:  Democrats pick up 28 house seats to gain control of the chamber, get a net zero in the Senate, flip 3 governorships (IL, ME, NM), but fail to flip FL, MI, OH, WI. 

Option 2:  Democrats pick up 18 house seats and net 0 senate seats, so Republicans continue to control both chambers.  Democrats do better in governor's races, flipping IL, ME, NM, NV, NH, FL, MI, and WI. 

Archived