Avengers: Infinity War - SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Because Thanos is stronger than Hulk and Hulk is exponentially stronger than Cap is.

Similarly:

I think you're over-estimating how strong/powerful Cap is. In the comics he doesn't even really have super-strength I don't think- he's just essentially peak-human-ability at everything all the time. The film looks like it's borrowed from the Ultimate universe where his strength and durability is a little enhanced, but he's never shown to be massively ahead of human scale.

The three of them do have the advantage over SW and Vision though that they're all combat-trained.

I don't disagree that Thanos is stronger, just that Captain in the movie isn't that weak and that him holding Thanos back for a few seconds isn't that surprising. He took a full Thor hammer blow in the first movie (albeit on his shield), he and Iron Man went at it heaps of times, he went toe to toe against Ultron etc. Clearly his super strength is adjustable to match the scenario (be it cannon fodder or big baddies) and he isn't nearly as weak as some you are making him out to be (in the cinema verse anyway).

18 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I don't know if this was already explained in the films (or discussed here) but how are Thanos and the Black Order so effective in tracking the stone locations? Thanos doesn't know where the soul stone is, but once he gains knowledge of the planet, at least, he knows exactly where to pop up. This includes how his people go straight for the time and mind stones on Earth.

Remember at the start of the movie Thanos gains the Space stone from the Tesseract - I imagine that allows him and his friends to travel to places pretty quick. In the comics the Space stone grants teleportation powers anywhere you want.

13 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Agreed, I think they did a good job of showing Thanos is not killing because he wants or likes to kill, he's doing it because he feels he has to. It's his self-imposed duty. And one of the reasons this is one of the best superhero films (Possibly top 5--gotta re-watch it before I go that bold with my love for Infinity War) is that by the end of the film you realize the villain was the protagonist of this film all along. It even had that "happy ending" with Thanos smiling at a sunset. His job was done--the universe was saved. That perspective definitely will make for interesting multiple viewings of this film.

He is cruel, though.  He used Loki's death to taunt Thor - that's just gross. :crying:

38 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Remember at the start of the movie Thanos gains the Space stone from the Tesseract - I imagine that allows him and his friends to travel to places pretty quick. In the comics the Space stone grants teleportation powers anywhere you want.

My question was how does he know exactly where he needs to go? And that applies to the space stone. How did he know where Thor's ship was?

He's worked with Loki before - so he may have deduced that he would have taken the Tesseract when Asgard fell.  And he seemed to know which individuals had the other stones (except Soul) - so maybe he'd done his research?

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What the hell is it with people NOT killing one person (a synth at that) in order to save trillions of lives? Right now I say this: You have my permission to take me out, if killing me means saving half of the lives in the universe*.

To be fair, what the movie shows is the hesitancy of characters to kill their loved ones, a typical trait of heroes, no? But they do act on it, only to have Thanos intervene. And then you have Thanos, who doesn't hesitate, but also feels deep regret for doing what he did. The difference between the heroes and the the villain is in the will, I guess, in this movie.

And Dr. Strange trades the time stone for Tony's life, not because of any warm fuzzy feelings he suddenly developed, but because of the one future where the good guys win. Tony is definitely key to defeating Thanos and reversing what happened.

Saw it yesterday.  I loved the movie.  I tend to agree with everyone that the disintegration was a shock, Holland sold his death well, but the shock value was lessened for me the second I saw T'Challa start to disintegrate.  From that moment on, nothing was going to be permanent.

I also agree with others that the movie is a great "event" but maybe not a great "film."  I saw today that the movie broke The Force Awakens' opening weekend record.  It was always going to be huge, but to be "first good Star Wars in 30 years" big is eye popping.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, mcbigski said:

Im kind of burned out on MCU.  Skipped ant man, strange, ragnorak, black panther and if there was a spidey stand alone that too.  Only watched guardians 2 because I was flying back from Titancon.  Quit AoS.  But this sounds kind of enticing.

I dunno... you pretty much just listed my favorite MCU films.  FWIW, you can skip Ant-Man and Spider-Man with no real detriment to seeing Infinity War.  You can also skip Black Panther if you'd like (but its a fantastic movie in its own right) but you won't be familiar with some of the characters in the climax of the movie, but I don't think you necessarily need to know them to understand what's going on.  I pretty much consider Dr. Strange and Thor 3 to be the must see movies to really follow what's happening leading up to this movie.

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Saw it yesterday.  I loved the movie.  I tend to agree with everyone that the disintegration was a shock, Holland sold his death well, but the shock value was lessened for me the second I saw T'Challa start to disintegrate.  From that moment on, nothing was going to be permanent.

I also agree with others that the movie is a great "event" but maybe not a great "film."  I saw today that the movie broke The Force Awakens' opening weekend record.  It was always going to be huge, but to be "first good Star Wars in 30 years" big is eye popping.

I dunno... you pretty much just listed my favorite MCU films.  FWIW, you can skip Ant-Man and Spider-Man with no real detriment to seeing Infinity War.  You can also skip Black Panther if you'd like (but its a fantastic movie in its own right) but you won't be familiar with some of the characters in the climax of the movie, but I don't think you necessarily need to know them to understand what's going on.  I pretty much consider Dr. Strange and Thor 3 to be the must see movies to really follow what's happening leading up to this movie.

I wouldn't skip Homecoming either, due to the emotional impact at the end, which plays a lot on the developing relationship between Peter and Tony in Homecoming.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

I wouldn't skip Homecoming either, due to the emotional impact at the end, which plays a lot on the developing relationship between Peter and Tony in Homecoming.

I enjoyed Homecoming and would recommend watching it for its own value, but I do think you can watch IW just knowing "this is Spider-Man." 

I don't think you even really need to see Doctor Strange to get what's going on. It's enough that he's dressed in clothing coded as "wizard", can obviously use magic powers, and has the Time Stone he's carrying explained in Infinity War at least once.

In fact, it might make it even better. If you haven't seen Doctor Strange, then you don't know that he can basically use the Time Stone to give the Avengers infinity number of times to try attacking Thanos over and over again until they succeed (which the movie, to its credit, gets around with the whole "I've examined 14 million futures and this is the only one that we can win" bit).

On 4/29/2018 at 9:06 AM, Mosi Mynn said:

As to Thanos: can't explain why he didn't make more of the stones he had, really, except sometimes he likes to have fun, as Maw said. 

In the comics, the canon viewpoint is that Thanos sees himself as actually unworthy of that power, and genuinely doesn't think that he should win. We see some things like that here, where he's clearly holding back and not doing what he could do in order to just wipe everything out, and believes in giving his opponents an actual fighting chance. 

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

In the comics, the canon viewpoint is that Thanos sees himself as actually unworthy of that power, and genuinely doesn't think that he should win. We see some things like that here, where he's clearly holding back and not doing what he could do in order to just wipe everything out, and believes in giving his opponents an actual fighting chance. 

he may also not immediately understand all the options that each additional stone he acquired opens up for him.  He's a finite being grasping at nearly infinite power.  While he knows it will allow him to end half the life in the universe, he probably doesn't have time to think through everything it gives him.  He has a very singular focus and that can be blinding at times.  

Just got back a few mins ago JESUS CHRIST.

Love how the two deaths everyone thought was a sure thing didn't happen and hooo boy did they kill a lot of people at the end there.

Interesting that the original 5 from the first film all lived.

Also as others said you know most of them won't be permanent.

Now to read through this thread.

48 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Now to read through this thread.

I saw the movie at a matinee yesterday and wasn't able to post until late this morning.  :lol: 

15 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

And as others have said, no one in my showing said a word during the entire credits. Just shocked silence.

Same at my theatre. Normally, there will be people who leave, even if there is an after credit scene, either because they don't know or don't care. This time, I didn't hear the doors open and close, and there was silence.

There was also an audible "No!" when Thanos stabbed Tony.

Archived