Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Worth checking out the live Halloween one once you're finished too. I really need to give psychoville a go as it's the gap in my knowledge of these shows. 

will do! just watcvhed riddle of the sphinx and found that by far the most disturbing episode...deeply unsettling, nasty and actually quite disgusting. 

i mean of course it was also wickedly smart and brilliant as well 

Outlaw King -- the Big Deluge concluded about the time the film whatever concluded (Netflix Original, went up today, as well as opening in some theaters in some cities).

Battles and fighting, lots of it.  Gorgeous location photography.  Politics and the rest of it, in terms of the Bruce and Scotland's independence as a kingdom, not a whole lot.  More than one veteran of GOT in the cast.  I wouldn't have wanted to spend 18 dollars in a theater for this, though it was just fine to look at (not a whole lot of CGI, and that very tactful and slick).  Not enough of anything else.  Give me The Last Kingdom!  That's how I like it!

OTOH, it was perfect for this horribly cold, windy and wet night that has me penned inside.

The horses though, the horses.  I really hope none were hurt in the course of making this -- their injuries and killing and going down in the battles looked awfully real.

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Outlaw King -- the Big Deluge concluded about the time the film whatever concluded (Netflix Original, went up today, as well as opening in some theaters in some cities).

Battles and fighting, lots of it.  Gorgeous location photography.  Politics and the rest of it, in terms of the Bruce and Scotland's independence as a kingdom, not a whole lot.  More than one veteran of GOT in the cast.  I wouldn't have wanted to spend 18 dollars in a theater for this, though it was just fine to look at (not a whole lot of CGI, and that very tactful and slick).  Not enough of anything else.  Give me The Last Kingdom!  That's how I like it!

OTOH, it was perfect for this horribly cold, windy and wet night that has me penned inside.

The horses though, the horses.  I really hope none were hurt in the course of making this -- their injuries and killing and going down in the battles looked awfully real.

I just watched it, too. It was fine. More historically accurate than Braveheart (and other like films), though still plenty of inaccuracies. I agree with the location photography, good cinematography, too, and really liked the costuming. (again, way better than Braveheart). There was actually fucking color in the costumes, not just the stereotypical view that all Scots wore dreary colors, and the English wore red. 

Chris Pine was ok. In terms of the acting, the highlights for me were Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and various small scenes with more minor characters, especially James Cosmo, and the scene where Bruce kills Comyn. (first time I could say that Callan Mulvey could act)

Ya -- there wasn't much opportunity for Pine to, well, act, was there?  :)

In terms of the real history it was so superior to Braveheart as to not have them in the same category. Still, of course, the Bruce and Eddie 2 never met in personal battle at the battle. Nor was it his wife put in that cage, but -- I don't know that much about this material -- his sisters?

OTOH, knowing Bruce's Big Antagonist is Edward II, one didn't need to worry much about the ultimate fate of the Bruce, which was quite a relief in these Daze, when one is watching in order to escape the present wreckage of all the Things.

11 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

will do! just watcvhed riddle of the sphinx and found that by far the most disturbing episode...deeply unsettling, nasty and actually quite disgusting. 

i mean of course it was also wickedly smart and brilliant as well 

My favourites so far are "to have and hold" season 4, "diddle diddle dumpling" season 3 and "the devil of Christmas" in terms of being dark. Although the first two I mention are excellent by any measure, one highlighting shearsmith's skill and the other Pemberton's (who I think people usually regard as inferior to shearsmith but not in "to have and hold".

"Riddle of the sphinx was a glorious love letter to cryptic crosswords and really inventive. 

I really need to watch season 2 and the back half of season 1. iPlayer had a screwed up back catalogue last year and it took me a while to discover the rest were on Netflix. Luckily the show can be watched in any order and I was saving some for over Xmas this year. Hopefully a fifth season is almost upon us

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ya -- there wasn't much opportunity for Pine to, well, act, was there?  :)

In terms of the real history it was so superior to Braveheart as to not have them in the same category. Still, of course, the Bruce and Eddie 2 never met in personal battle at the battle. Nor was it his wife put in that cage, but -- I don't know that much about this material -- his sisters?

OTOH, knowing Bruce's Big Antagonist is Edward II, one didn't need to worry much about the ultimate fate of the Bruce, which was quite a relief in these Daze, when one is watching in order to escape the present wreckage of all the Things.

I enjoyed it (I took bigcatforward's advice and had a couple of beers). It could almost have been a sequel to braveheart in terms of where it picked up from and I got a dark laugh out of the William Wallace "cameo". Pine's accent was fine but I do wonder whether the 20 minutes cut from the final film was possibly more for character development as he didn't get much characterisation.

The final battle was great and I like when a battle is won by using the landscape as a weapon. Far more satisfying than the ridiculous actions in "battle of the bastards" where Jon Snow deserved to lose.

I liked the costumes and the fact the Scots weren't walking around in kilts all the time. That said Taylor Johnson's character seemed to be wearing a brown puffer jacket throughout.

I'm pleased they didn't shy away from Roberts murder of a rival on holy ground but they did seem to gloss over it as if it was a necessity. That aspect of his life always left me thinking there was a mob-like culture going on. Although medieval/feudal times essentially were gangsters where to be in power probably meant you were the most ruthless.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I enjoyed it (I took bigcatforward's advice and had a couple of beers). It could almost have been a sequel to braveheart in terms of where it picked up from and I got a dark laugh out of the William Wallace "cameo". Pine's accent was fine but I do wonder whether the 20 minutes cut from the final film was possibly more for character development as he didn't get much characterisation.

The final battle was great and I like when a battle is won by using the landscape as a weapon. Far more satisfying than the ridiculous actions in "battle of the bastards" where Jon Snow deserved to lose.

I liked the costumes and the fact the Scots weren't walking around in kilts all the time. That said Taylor Johnson's character seemed to be wearing a brown puffer jacket throughout.

I'm pleased they didn't shy away from Roberts murder of a rival on holy ground but they did seem to gloss over it as if it was a necessity. That aspect of his life always left me thinking there was a mob-like culture going on. Although medieval/feudal times essentially were gangsters where to be in power probably meant you were the most ruthless.

:agree: Cornwell does a lot of that, in all his books, I think, and particularly he does it in the Warlord Chronicles.

Also, Pine did do admirably what he was able to do.  Maybe it's just his innate characters, but there was a sweetness and generosity, along with the steel, that came through, which would indeed draw men to follow him (whether or not the historical Bruce had those qualities, I have no idea).  Yet Pine had to give us those thoughts all by ourselves.  Because, first of all, the film is actually very thin stuff, of battles and mud, not of character, not theme, not ideas at all.  The closest to characterization we get is the Bruce a is good and honorable fellow who is The Best Fighter, and Prince Edward is -- well, he's not.

Without the capacity for Pine to draw our eyes, and most of all, the landscape vistas themselves to draw the eyes, beyond guys hacking at each other, there's very little to nothing there.  It would have been interesting to see the film investigate just what indeed causes a broad base of classes to follow on particular person at a particular time, to point of being willing to die. Which is disappointing.

I just saw that The Frisco Kid is available on Amazon Prime and I'm doing a little happy dance.

This is a little gem of a comedy/western movie from 1979 starring Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford I recommend it for anyone in the mood for a funny movie with great acting performances.

I watched "batman ninja" and that is one insane movie. It's probably a bit too much for me but I admire the no holds barred approach and throwing everything and the kitchen sink into it. It starts out looking like batman and villains in feudal Japan but gets very anime mecha too. The animation is stunning in places there's a great segment with the red hood and joker that's in a different style and the backgrounds evoke the style of art from that period in Japan - the sky always has semicircles in it. Unfortunately the 3d cgi character designs are a bit alien and lifeless (gorilla grids is the worst).

It doesn't really make much sense but for people wanted to see batman and his villains in a samurai Japan (it's more samurai than ninja to me) with the OTT of some anime/manga it's worth the short run time

Watched the first few episodes of Terrorism Close Calls on Netflix. It's 'ok'. I can't fully admire it because they sometimes show stuff that's inaccurate, e.g. talking about London bombings of 2005 and they're showing scenes from Madrid. Also, sometimes the phrasing used is confusing and we struggle to understand the point they are trying to make (e.g. if something did/didn't happen). It's worth watching if the subject is something you're interested in but I can't say it's an amazing show. But I'll continue...

Just watched "overlord" and it's a great little horror Nazi mash up that doesn't overstay it's welcome and is probably as close as we've got to a Wolfenstein film. Nazis are perfect for horror scenarios and the film makes good use of it. Some nice makeup for the horror scenes too.

On the whole it feels like a strong Netflix/b film in the sense I wouldn't urge anyone to pay money to see it on the big screen TV unless they really like Wolfenstein and seeing Nazis die on the big screen. Although it's worth highlighting that it isn't a bad film just because it does exactly what I'd expect from a war/horror film. The main cast are entertaining enough too. A solid film.

On 11/10/2018 at 2:14 AM, Zorral said:

Oh! When I watched the trailer this summer I wanted to watch it so much. I didn't know it was a Netflix movie. But when I learnt about that....I was disappointed because I don't have Netflix, and it has not aired in cinemas where I live .

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh! When I watched the trailer this summer I wanted to watch it so much. I didn't know it was a Netflix movie. But when I learnt about that....I was disappointed because I don't have Netflix, and it has not aired in cinemas where I live .

It is lovely to look at.

More about it, here.

Watched House of Cards season 6, just for the sake of completeness really. It was...not good. The poor quality had nothing to do with the lack of Spacey, the whole thing was just badly written, full of cringe inducing “BIG MOMENTS” and “SHOCKS.” Despite strong performances from a talented cast this was a massive disappointment.

Not to mention, the final episode ends in such a way that you’ll go: “wait that was the series finale?”

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Finally got around to watching The Death of Stalin. Utter brilliance.

Best film I've seen in ages.

One of the darkest too. 

21 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Watched House of Cards season 6, just for the sake of completeness really. It was...not good. The poor quality had nothing to do with the lack of Spacey, the whole thing was just badly written, full of cringe inducing “BIG MOMENTS” and “SHOCKS.” Despite strong performances from a talented cast this was a massive disappointment.

Not to mention, the final episode ends in such a way that you’ll go: “wait that was the series finale?”

Is it one where you could stop with the season before? Or just watch the opening episode of final season?

I'm guessing the script/plot was rushed due to last minute changes

2 hours ago, red snow said:

One of the darkest too. 

Is it one where you could stop with the season before? Or just watch the opening episode of final season?

I'm guessing the script/plot was rushed due to last minute changes

The ending of season 5

Spoiler

I.e. Claire preparing to take the presidency, leaves a better open-ended conclusion than season 6. Quite honestly I would just quit and not watch S6.

The premise is Francis dies before any kind of trial or indictment or whatever. The show starts 100 days into Claire’s term. Tbh that premise feels pretty natural/organic, so I don’t think it’s just spacey’s getting booted, the writing is just generally very sub-par, and it’s  a shame when you look back at season one and to a lesser extent season 2

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

My reaction was the same.  They had a lot of opportunities to do something actually smashing, instead it bombed.

Archived