Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

^^^^ Agreed, the actress who played Theo was a little much at times, and I usually don’t notice stuff like that(unless they’re really bad). Everyone else was solid though. I actually want to see the recent adaptation of Gerald’s Game because I heard Gugino puts in a stellar performance. 

Yeah. It was weird because at times she (actress playing Theo) was actually really good and then at other points she was just OTT. A shame really.

Definitely watch Gerald's Game.

ETA; Just came back to say: I want to give extra marks for the camera work in The Haunting of Hill House, the shots panning around rooms and through/past rooms especially, because they did an amazing job of leaving the viewer in fear of Something Awful Which Was About to Happen Any Second Now. I thought the level of suspense was fantastic. :)

On 10/23/2018 at 1:27 AM, Nictarion said:

Gerald’s Game is really good. She’s the only person on screen for a lot of the movie and it’s never boring. Great ending, too. 

A genuinely great film and I think I may have preferred it over "it" in terms of king adaptations last year.

All this talk of haunted hill has me tempted to try out during daylight hours. I can't hack "there may be scares around the corner" when I'm on my own in dark. Overactive imagination I think and no one to say "get a grip". I guess I could save for Halloween and get in the spirit of things?

3 hours ago, red snow said:

A genuinely great film and I think I may have preferred it over "it" in terms of king adaptations last year.

All this talk of haunted hill has me tempted to try out during daylight hours. I can't hack "there may be scares around the corner" when I'm on my own in dark. Overactive imagination I think and no one to say "get a grip". I guess I could save for Halloween and get in the spirit of things?

You should take a leaf out of our book and watch some of this fantastic show on Netflix afterwards - really helps to see the lighter side of spooky.

The curious creations of Christine McConnell

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I did as well. It was just ok. The child actors were good, but the movie overall didn’t really live up to the hype for me. 

Finally finished American Vandal s2. Not as good as the first season, but had its moments. Really enjoyed the millennial generation introspection in the final episode. This series has great self-awareness. That finale saved the season for me.

I watched quite a few movies on my trip to Ireland last week.

Started off w/ Jurassic World.  I did not enjoy it.  Straightforward rehash of the same story with an absolutely dreadful ending.  Probably my least liked movie of the bunch.

Game Night was the next one I watched.  Pretty ridiculous premise overall, but the characters were kinda fun and quirky.  Fairly enjoyable, but not something I'm going to be seeking out for a rewatch.

Hellmington was the last one I watched on the way there and it was pretty weird, but suspenseful.   I liked the art direction it took, but didn't like some of the story pieces and some of the acting at the end was kind of OTT.  Overall, not bad.

Super Troopers 2 was what I started out with on the way home.  I loved the original so I laughed out loud quite a few times during this one.  Great to come back to these characters even though a lot of it was really cheesy.  Favorite part was the bloopers at the end.

Tag was next, and while I was thinking I was going to hate this movie, it was surprisingly charming.  

Tomb Raider was after Tag and holy cow was that just bad, bad, bad.  It was really close as to which one was worse between this and Jurassic World, but I think Tomb Raider took the cake.

Incredibles 2 was the next one in line and I absolutely loved it.  Probably my favorite of everything I watched.  Great continuation of the story.

Lastly was Ocean's 8.  It was decent, but about as good as Ocean's 13.  Nothing original going on here, but a decent caper.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:44 AM, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Once Upon a Time in America  is now on Netflix. If you haven’t seen it, make sure you do. Just note that it’s very long and can be really slow at times, but it’s one of the greatest movies ever made.

If you’re a Tarantino fan, just note that this film and Once Upon a Time in The West are largely what guide most of his films.

Watched this over the last two days, man it was long. It was a good movie, not one i will watch again. Funny how much they did and talked about in that movie that couldn't be done now.

Watched Bad times at the El Royale and yep it was long. Well done movie with some good characters and surprise moments.

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I did as well. It was just ok. The child actors were good, but the movie overall didn’t really live up to the hype for me. 

I saw It in the theatres and really liked it. I recently rewatched and was very underwhelmed. Don’t know what I saw in it the first time. 

8 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Been rewatcing Leone’s westerns before Red Dead Redemption two comes out

https://entertainment.theonion.com/report-just-2-more-days-and-you-can-forget-all-of-this-1829970574

Just now, Mark Antony said:

It’s a prequel so yeah you should be fine.

I didn't realise the new game was a prequel. It doesn't matter too much for me as it's the gameplay I love the most but it would have been nice to see how the previous game's story continued. My main dilemma is to buy the Xbox or PS4 to play it on. I think the PS4 exclusives eg Spider-Man may push me in that direction. But some good sales offers could probably sway me.

4 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

And is it worth sticking around for? I’m about halfway through season one but it’s hardly love at first sight. 

I enjoyed it, as I got a lot of 90s nostalgia feels from it. (reminded me of shows like Buffy) It does improve, but it also has ups and downs.

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

I enjoyed it, as I got a lot of 90s nostalgia feels from it. (reminded me of shows like Buffy) It does improve, but it also has ups and downs.

Thanks, I suppose I’ll stick around for a little while. It’s not like I have a better idea about what to watch and I’ve found that shows sometimes need one season to pick up and get good. 

14 hours ago, red snow said:

I didn't realise the new game was a prequel. It doesn't matter too much for me as it's the gameplay I love the most but it would have been nice to see how the previous game's story continued. My main dilemma is to buy the Xbox or PS4 to play it on. I think the PS4 exclusives eg Spider-Man may push me in that direction. But some good sales offers could probably sway me.

The Last of Us as well.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

The Last of Us as well.

It's just the shoddy lack of backwards compatability that winds me up with the PS4. I guess there's nothing stopping me from using my PS3 and a PS4 but it irks me. Sony definitely has the best exclusives in terms of games that appeal to me.

Finally got around to watching "a silent voice" on Netflix. What a beautiful and heart-wrenching anime movie. You wouldn't think they could make a story from the POV of a bully work but they do. At 2 hours it feels more like a mini-series of plot but I very quickly became very invested in the leads and there were several tear-shedding and heart stopping moments. There was even a bit where I was "no, don't do that" at the screen which is rare for me. A must for anime fans and a pretty good gateway film for those who don't do anime.

3 and 1/4 way through the 6 episodes that are Bodyguard (up on netflix yesterday).  

Richard Madden looks as consistently constipated as David Budd as he did as Robb Stark.  Also, letting his Scots roots show, he's kinda playing Budd as Jamie from Outlander with the Scots brogue and white knight complex and a really awful temper when he gets going.

Archived