Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

My dear lord, Reign makes no sense at all. It suffers from every single plothole goT seasons 5-7 suffered from. Did these people even watch historical movies before writing this thing? There isn’t even a shadow of logic or common sense in the plot or the actions of these characters? My, my, my... 

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I've been watching the tv-adaptation of Animal Kingdom. I really like the movie and I like the show too but they are very different tonally. The show feels like they've taken the basic premise and concept of the movie and combined it with Point Break.

I haven't seen the movie yet (waiting for it to stream on Netflix or Prime) but Point Break is an apt comparison. I really like the characters -- with Smurf and Pope standing out in particular.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:44 AM, RhaenysBee said:

There are also The Last Kingdom and the Handmaid’s Tale that I can’t bring myself to finish. They are so slow and impossibly boring I just can’t... I’m stuck in the middle of season 2 in both cases. 

Are there two shows called The Last Kingdom?  Because if there's only one, this comment makes zero sense.

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Are there two shows called The Last Kingdom?  Because if there's only one, this comment makes zero sense.

I don't remember too much from the first season, but holy shit the second season moved at a goddamn breakneck pace.  

I just want to say...Wrecked is amazing.  I watch this show and I feel like it should just be so terrible, and yet it continues to deliver hilarious episode after great episode.  I recommend anyone looking for a comedy give it a chance.  And as with most comedies, stick with it through the first three or four episodes because it takes some time to find itself.  

The third season that just ended was incredible, though.  The chess scene will go down as one of my absolute favorite sitcom scenes.

'Hold the dark' is one strange film and I'm pretty sure it falls I to the category of I'll probably love it when I watch it a second time. It's brutal in places and the villains are implacable. There is a shoot out that's pretty damn epic. Nice to see such weaponry cause such destruction as most tv/film shy away from such things. Every bullet was felt in that shoot out though.

It's a great companion film to "wind River" but more challenging and not as easy a watch. Both films do a great job of establishing cold and brutal landscapes and the people living in them. Although I hope Alaskans aren't all like the ones depicted in "hold the dark"!

18 minutes ago, red snow said:

'Hold the dark' is one strange film and I'm pretty sure it falls I to the category of I'll probably love it when I watch it a second time. It's brutal in places and the villains are implacable. There is a shoot out that's pretty damn epic. Nice to see such weaponry cause such destruction as most tv/film shy away from such things. Every bullet was felt in that shoot out though.

It's a great companion film to "wind River" but more challenging and not as easy a watch. Both films do a great job of establishing cold and brutal landscapes and the people living in them. Although I hope Alaskans aren't all like the ones depicted in "hold the dark"!

*puts Hold the Dark on my list*

I watched A Star is Born this weekend and thought it was a pretty good movie, touching in spots and well acted. Loved some of the music from the movie as well. I see why it's getting award buzz, people actually clapped when it was over.

Watched season 1 of Ozark also. First couple episodes were really good, then a little slower and then finished well. It's not a show I felt addicted to but I do want to see S2 as soon as I have time.

I finished watching Bodyguard. The series had a lot of hype and it mostly delivers on that, it does have very tense scenes, particularly in the first and last episodes. The plot was compelling, although looking back at it I feel that while the overall picture largely makes sense some of the details don't - the villains' plan does seem unnecessarily complex and sometimes contradictory. I thought Richard Madden put in a very intense performance in the lead role, and the supporting cast was good as well, particularly Keeley Hawes.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:18 PM, WarGalley said:

I haven't seen the movie yet (waiting for it to stream on Netflix or Prime) but Point Break is an apt comparison. I really like the characters -- with Smurf and Pope standing out in particular.

You’re in for a pleasant surprise when you see the movie then. 

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

*puts Hold the Dark on my list*

I thought it was kinda disappointing but it’s definitely worth a watch for the cast alone. 

22 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

JUst watched Kill List - bloody hell those last ten minutes tho 

Love me some Kill List.

Netflix’ Maniac turned out to be rather lovely& uplifting and probably just what I needed to watch. It’s silly, goofy and full of heart but also has more than enough Philip K Dick like science fiction details and world building that although it’s mostly a character study focused on emotions it’s deeply rooted in a fully realised world of loneliness and Electric friends and all sorts of wonderful little details. 

It’s not edgy or daring or nasty and you know what I’m glad of it - other more independent works dealing with similar settings and theme can pick up those mantles - but what it turns out to be was rather lovely & sweet and I’m more than happy with that.

22 hours ago, briantw said:

I don't remember too much from the first season, but holy shit the second season moved at a goddamn breakneck pace.  

Season 1 was a breakneck pace also.

20 hours ago, briantw said:

I just want to say...Wrecked is amazing.  I watch this show and I feel like it should just be so terrible, and yet it continues to deliver hilarious episode after great episode.  I recommend anyone looking for a comedy give it a chance.  And as with most comedies, stick with it through the first three or four episodes because it takes some time to find itself.  

The third season that just ended was incredible, though.  The chess scene will go down as one of my absolute favorite sitcom scenes.

I love that stupid show.  They've done a really good job keeping it fresh through each of the three seasons.

Archived