Why did Jon Snow give advice to Stannis about how to use mountain clans against Roose...

...Because he's still a Stark and totally wants the Boltons to lose. I believe it's even mentioned in the books that he thinks it's probably not wise to support Stannis as much as he does because it does indeed imply that he's not completely neutral, as the NW should be, he just wants to subtly help Stannis overthrow the guys who murdered Robb and co.

...Because Stannis was the only one to answer the call for aid by the Night's Watch and is taking the threat of the Others seriously. He conquers the North, more help for the Watch. Tit for tat.

Well if I where to make a guess I would say its because the Boltons killed Robb, burnt Winterfell, and became the Wardens of the North. I get that as a member of the Nights Watch he should have stayed neutral, but isn't one of the main points in ASOIAF that humans aren't these good two shoes beings that stick by the rules 24/7. Going by those rules Jon should be safe from Cersei's scheming, yet she still wanted to have him killed. 

20 minutes ago, Faera said:

...Because Stannis was the only one to answer the call for aid by the Night's Watch and is taking the threat of the Others seriously. He conquers the North, more help for the Watch. Tit for tat.

This.

Leaving Stannis to die, which is exactly what will happen to him if no help is given, will doom not only Stannis' followers, but the watch, the north and the rest of 7K. He is helping Stannis so Stannis can help him in return.

besides he is neutral, he doesn't meddle in the affairs of the realm he gives advice to Stannis. Words aren't swords. Even if he gave Stannis swords and hands to hold those as well, NW is a part of the realm, not a realm apart. Stannis is the king of that realm, among some others. What do you do if you have several kings? You cuddle up to one who has the most power over you; which is not Lannisters with tens of thousands of men thousands but thousands of leagues apart, but Stannis who has only a thousand men but is at your door with three times the fighting men as you do.

Just now, Corvo the Crow said:

This.

Leaving Stannis to die, which is exactly what will happen to him if no help is given, will doom not only Stannis' followers, but the watch, the north and the rest of 7K. He is helping Stannis so Stannis can help him in return.

Yes, but if Stannis loses he puts the Night's Watch in an even worse spot. That is why the nights watch is not supposed to take sides.

11 minutes ago, kleevedge said:

Yes, but if Stannis loses he puts the Night's Watch in an even worse spot. That is why the nights watch is not supposed to take sides.

Jon really doea know nothing but he unwittingly pulled a great political move here, as he does with most of his LC decisions.

If he hadn't advised Stannis, he would have taken the wildlings instead, causing much turmoil and more bloodshed. 

Instead, with a single stroke, or a stroll through the mountains if you will, not only he prevented all that and protected the realm, but he also provided the watch with some benefits as well. Those clansmen who didn't bother helping the watch against wildlings are now his honored guests and witnesses to Alys' and Sigorn's wedding as well, another political move showing that hostilities between wildlings and Northman can end and wildlings can be accepted as equals and won't be given the finger in this new era of "peace among worlds".

3 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Jon really doea know nothing but he unwittingly pulled a great political move here, as he does with most of his LC decisions.

If he hadn't advised Stannis, he would have taken the wildlings instead, causing much turmoil and more bloodshed. 

Instead, with a single stroke, or a stroll through the mountains if you will, not only he prevented all that and protected the realm, but he also provided the watch with some benefits as well. Those clansmen who didn't bother helping the watch against wildlings are now his honored guests and witnesses to Alys' and Sigorn's wedding as well, another political move showing that hostilities between wildlings and Northman can end and wildlings can be accepted as equals and won't be given the finger in this new era of "peace among worlds".

I didn't know there were any clansmen at the wedding. I thought at that time they were with Stannis

1 minute ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Could Lord Commander of Night's Watch wear crown to fight against house which is bad for realm in your opinion?

No he couldn't, but Jon didn't ( at that point) openly pick a side, he just hosted the guy who actually responded to the NW's plea for help and then subtly gave him some advice on how to win it all. 

8 minutes ago, kleevedge said:

I didn't know there were any clansmen at the wedding. I thought at that time they were with Stannis

They were, but Flint and Norrey went straight to Jon after sending their sons and men off to help Stannis and even provided milk maids for Aemon. They assessed the wildling situation first hand and beared witness to their cousins long drifted apart being brought back to the fold by The Ned's Son.

58 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

...instead of staying neutral?

Thread title:   Why did Jon Snow give advice to Stannis about how to use mountain clans against Roose...

52 minutes ago, Faera said:

..Because Stannis was the only one to answer the call for aid by the Night's Watch and is taking the threat of the Others seriously

I agree.

Several reasons.

1) He (rightly) believes that with Lannisters on the throne and Boltons ruling the North, the wall will be at best ignored and at worst attacked from the south (Cersie's and Tywins scheming has already started). This would most likely result in all of humanity being destroyed by the Others. He don't know this for certain but he does believe no one else is suitable as commander of the nightswatch. Stannis believes in the threat and has already aided the wall.

2) He wants Stannis to leave him the Wildlings

3) Because Ramsay and Roose are psychopaths and would also likely be personal enemies given the family history.

4) Personal reasons. Red wedding, Ned's execution, Janos Slynt and Bowen Marshes plotting.

Jon isn't perfect in his honour and people should accept that. He stepped outside his oath to start playing the game of thrones. But it was still the right thing to do as he is also sworn to guard the realms of men. To keep one oath he needs to break another. He was thrust into an impossible situation and is trying to do his best.

Attacking Alliser Thorne for defaming his father was wrong. Attempting to ride off to join Robb was wrong. I didn't really like Jon as a character early in the series. My first impression throughout all of book one was of a moody immature teenager of middling competence. But I agree with pretty much everything he has done from the start of the second book onwards.

1 hour ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

All he is doing is pointing out a few obvious facts about the north, so it's not like he is violating the NW's neutrality by giving arms and men.

A more serious breach of neutrality is handing the Nightfort to Stannis for his seat, but Stannis was also the only king who came when the Watch needed help. Stannis wanted to hand the other castles over to his knights, but Jon refused him.

2 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

He didn't give Stannis advice about using the mountain clans against Roose.  He suggested Stannis use them to attack the Ironborn at Deepwood Motte, which he did.  Stannis moved against Roose only after Roose occupied Winterfell.

In fact, Jon counseled Stannis against attacking the Dreadfort, Roose's seat.

If you're going to open threads, at least get your basic facts straight.

Given the necessities of dealing with Stannis, Jon is staying as neutral as he can under the circumstances.

Archived