Football: The art of lowering expectations

Consigliere

stupid west coast and needing to be up at 5am to watch the soccer.

toon home to Fulham today.  Fulham are sloppy shit who can't keep a clean sheet but I thoroughly expect former striker mitrovic to bang in a goal and pick up a yellow. hopefully newcastle have what it takes to get a much needed three points.

howay the lads!

Milan really should sack Gatusso at this point imo. When healthy they have a team capable of getting fourth for sure but i don’t think Gatusso is the man for the job rn. Not sure they could sway Conte but he would be perfect. Either way they should probably stop just giving the job to retired former legends.

14 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Andros Townsend with a ridiculous goal in the City game.

https://streamja.com/LoPv

He does have some shot on that left foot. He might over-rely on it and become predictable, but then he can do that.  He also smashed an excellent shot off the bar against Liverpool. 

I expect City will smother Palace in the second half and get a late winner.  City always finish strong and Palace tend to collapse late on. But incredible to see Palace — lacking any sort of functioning striker — score two at the Etihad. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I feel like Hazard sometimes doesn’t trust his teammates (rightfully so). He’s amazing at setting them up but they let him down so much that sometimes he just tries to do it all himself and it feels forced. 

Will he really stay there much longer?  Both Barca and RM could use him as they try to transition to a new generation.  

Unless he tries to force a move like Coutinho or Courtois, I don’t think Chelsea will ever sell. 

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

2-0. They have to give him the job now don't they?

Not a bad weekend for Liverpool so far. 538 for the first time have Liverpool as 62% favourites to win the league after City's loss. We have to win it now don't we? It's science.

Don’t do it to yourself.  Don’t even start to hope until we have a ten point gap.  An injury to Salah or VVD would scupper our season.  And even with them healthy it’s nigh impossible to keep pace with City over a full season. 

It's a game we should be winning but I wasn't expecting such a dominant display. It was particularly refreshing to see us break forward with five players after defending a corner in the 89th minute even though we were 4-1 up. Under Mourinho we were just hoofing that to Lukaku. Our defending of set-pieces and crosses needs some serious work - Cardiff players were getting their heads on nearly every single cross that came into our box.

Shock results in the City/Palace and Chelsea/Leicester games. Maybe the City wankfest will get toned down just a bit, at least for a while and some of those City fans might stop taking the league for granted (odd since City haven't even been the dominant club domestically since Mansour's takeover). 

Archived