Jump to content
The Fattest Leech

Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, divica said:

That is one of the things I Don t understand. If D&D were so great wouldn t HBO do everything in their power to keep them? 

Doesn t anybody care for the quality of their work? How people criticized got more as D&D wrote original material? How hated they are at the moment? 

HBO has historically had a reputation for being 'hands off' and they may have not wanted to upset the applecart so to speak, the show kept winning awards and gaining viewers right up until the last seasons.  But, they still must have realized how chaotic the production was, and how expensive!! and then there was Confederate, a terrible idea proposed by two people who are 100% not capable of executing it without catastrophic results...so, maybe they weren't that sorry to see them go, is my point.  HBO guys may be laughing that Netflix just paid $200M for a Trojan House of entitlement, overspending and bad writing.  If I'm wrong, and if they ever produce another hit, I will admit it, but I don't expect to be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dropping Netflix felt good. Before it was a Benioff and Weiss-free zone, and now it's a self-contained Benioff and Weiss zone that can be easily jettisoned as toxic waste.

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

HBO has historically had a reputation for being 'hands off' and they may have not wanted to upset the applecart so to speak, the show kept winning awards and gaining viewers right up until the last seasons.  But, they still must have realized how chaotic the production was, and how expensive!! and then there was Confederate, a terrible idea proposed by two people who are 100% not capable of executing it without catastrophic results...so, maybe they weren't that sorry to see them go, is my point.  HBO guys may be laughing that Netflix just paid $200M for a Trojan House of entitlement, overspending and bad writing.  If I'm wrong, and if they ever produce another hit, I will admit it, but I don't expect to be wrong.

Netflix’s business model is already losing money. Now they have shelled out millions on two hacks whose facade is broken. Whereas, Amazon got Nolan and his wife for $150mm, and I think that’s a much better deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

HBO has historically had a reputation for being 'hands off' and they may have not wanted to upset the applecart so to speak, the show kept winning awards and gaining viewers right up until the last seasons.  But, they still must have realized how chaotic the production was, and how expensive!! and then there was Confederate, a terrible idea proposed by two people who are 100% not capable of executing it without catastrophic results...so, maybe they weren't that sorry to see them go, is my point.  HBO guys may be laughing that Netflix just paid $200M for a Trojan House of entitlement, overspending and bad writing.  If I'm wrong, and if they ever produce another hit, I will admit it, but I don't expect to be wrong.

One of the things that is also really strange is how relieved everybody interviewed seems to be that they finished GOT. I don t think that is normal...

And besides bad writing I think they have really bad taste. Most of their ideas are really really bad! Dorne, cock jokes, sansa's last seasons, arya and bran's new personalities, euron, how they handled r+l=j, danny, jon's resurection… The more we talk about it the more really bad ideas we see...

1 hour ago, teej6 said:

Netflix’s business model is already losing money. Now they have shelled out millions on two hacks whose facade is broken. Whereas, Amazon got Nolan and his wife for $150mm, and I think that’s a much better deal. 

Netflix still has a lot of content. Until other streaming services start siphoning some of its contentes netflix will remain strong. At most this deal will ruin some mega project and give a headstart to amazon and Disney+...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, teej6 said:

Netflix’s business model is already losing money. Now they have shelled out millions on two hacks whose facade is broken. Whereas, Amazon got Nolan and his wife for $150mm, and I think that’s a much better deal. 

Yeah, things will go from bad to worse for Netflix when that deal goes south. Just saw this, Benioff and Weiss sold them a bill of goods, too. Sounds like their plan is to copy badly.

"We remember the same shots from the same 80s movies; we love the same books; we're excited about the same storytelling possibilities," they said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49276329

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now Netflix will have to endure David and Dan's "reverse" Midas touch, YIKES. I suppose I can use this as an argument when the hubby brings up signing up for it again. :D

And if I may ask, what happened to their SW project?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

So now Netflix will have to endure David and Dan's "reverse" Midas touch, YIKES. I suppose I can use this as an argument when the hubby brings up signing up for it again. :D

And if I may ask, what happened to their SW project?

Apparently it's an exclusive deal...

Except for Star Wars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

So now Netflix will have to endure David and Dan's "reverse" Midas touch, YIKES. I suppose I can use this as an argument when the hubby brings up signing up for it again. :D

And if I may ask, what happened to their SW project?

It is in pre cancelation phase? 

But Disney will release each of their movies with 2 or 3 years of interval? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah, things will go from bad to worse for Netflix when that deal goes south. Just saw this, Benioff and Weiss sold them a bill of goods, too. Sounds like their plan is to copy badly.

"We remember the same shots from the same 80s movies; we love the same books; we're excited about the same storytelling possibilities," they said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49276329

Ah...so...reading between the lines on that quote, Netflix thinks the dudebros can deliver them the next nostalgia-laden, Stranger Things-like hit.  Yeah, uh...good luck with that!:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

Ah...so...reading between the lines on that quote, Netflix thinks the dudebros can deliver them the next nostalgia-laden, Stranger Things-like hit.  Yeah, uh...good luck with that!:rolleyes:

Indeed, they aren't capable of doing anything like that. All Benioff and Weiss do is copy things badly, strip away meaning, add misogyny and toxicity, and since they are actually less mature than the Stranger Things kids, they can't even write 13 year old boys well.

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Indeed, they aren't capable of doing anything like that. All Benioff and Weiss do is copy things badly, strip away meaning, add misogyny and toxicity, and since they are actually less mature than the Stranger Things kids, they can't even write 13 year old boys well.

They might just as well hire Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson.  Those two might be better, in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Indeed, they aren't capable of doing anything like that. All Benioff and Weiss do is copy things badly, strip away meaning, add misogyny and toxicity, and since they are actually less mature than the Stranger Things kids, they can't even write 13 year old boys well.

 

Leaving aside an observance (and paraphrase) of Falkenhayn's observation "Schlieffen's notes no longer obtain; and so von Moltke has lost his brain", I suspect the one critical fault is a lack of humility. That may get knocked into them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Apparently it's an exclusive deal...

Except for Star Wars.

Meaning, they're still gonna fuck up Star Wars before running Netflix into the ground? :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Meaning, they're still gonna fuck up Star Wars before running Netflix into the ground? :lmao:

It would be impressive if they managed to take down HBO, Disney, and Netflix in succession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 8:54 PM, Le Cygne said:

Indeed, they aren't capable of doing anything like that. All Benioff and Weiss do is copy things badly, strip away meaning, add misogyny and toxicity, and since they are actually less mature than the Stranger Things kids, they can't even write 13 year old boys well.

In addition, up the end of Season 6, thy glorified cruelty as well, right up till the point when Daenerys destroyed the Lannisters on the Goldroad, and then Tyrion and Varys start turning towards pacifism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SeanF said:

In addition, up the end of Season 6, thy glorified cruelty as well, right up till the point when Daenerys destroyed the Lannisters on the Goldroad, and then Tyrion and Varys start turning towards pacifism.

Yeah, all sorts of toxic messages.

You must be insane if your father is, you must throw away your life to die with your evil sister or brother, you must thank your sex trafficker and rapist for empowering you, etc. Nonsense presented nonsensically.

And I don't even want to get into the glorification of their saintly self-insert, who gets away with everything and is rewarded in the end. Or the wizard who has no regard for humanity ruling over humanity. And so on...

It's one thing to write really badly, and they do. It's another thing to spew out toxic messages into the world. That seems to be their one distinction, that they glorified evil, rather than making a statement about it. 

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah, all sorts of toxic messages.

You must be insane if your father is, you must throw away your life to die with your evil sister or brother, you must thank your sex trafficker and rapist for empowering you, etc. Nonsense presented nonsensically.

And I don't even want to get into the glorification of their saintly self-insert, who gets away with everything and is rewarded in the end. Or the wizard who has no regard for humanity ruling over humanity. And so on...

It's one thing to write really badly, and they do. It's another thing to spew out toxic messages into the world. That seems to be their one distinction, that they glorified evil, rather than making a statement about it.

Other great messages are:-

1. Using force against slave dealers and rapists is evil.

2. When your brother threatens to murder you and your unborn child, failing to beg for his life is evil.

3.  A young woman who is subject to rape and abuse is only good when she acts like Patient Griselda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This early review had Benioff and Weiss pegged. They continued doing the same thing, casually throwing out the horrors, and it kept getting worse, until they revealed their hand in the final season, there was no meaning to any of it at all.

It’s apparently a truth universally acknowledged by cable television writers that the rates of nonconsensual sex and mindless violence rise exponentially the further back in time one goes. The rationale, or even excuse, that shows with this philosophy offer is that the kind of racism or sexism they portray is historically accurate (never mind, of course, that Game of Thrones takes place in a fictional universe). In other words, these shows depict women who are treated like disposable objects and ethnic or racial “others” who wantonly destroy life because that’s the way it was.

But historical accuracy and fear of anachronism are not good excuses for representing racial and sexual politics in the way that Game of Thrones does. Deadwood began its run with some similarly shocking occurrences of sexual violence and racial caricature. But that show also offered blistering and uncomfortable critiques of the culture that enabled and encouraged those acts, and it offered layered portraits of women and ethnic and racial minorities who survived and resisted that dismal age.

There’s no evidence of such critique so far in Game of Thrones. Every act of brutality, every assaulted woman, every exoticized barbarian is presented for the delectation of the audience. No prostitute appears on screen without her bosom already exposed, no transgressive sex act occurs without the frame of luxuriant tapestries or the glow of moonlight upon it. This show’s historical misogyny and racism are purely aesthetic, and that’s a problem we should hope this series works out on the double.

These issues would not be excusable, but the viewer would have perhaps more patience with their resolution if this series showed even a remote curiosity about its own characters or a sense of adventure or energy in the telling of its narratives. Co-creator David Benioff, before making his way to television, wrote the screenplay for Wolfgang Peterson’s Troy. That film is fine as a historical epic, a rollicking action film, and a beefcake showcase for Brad Pitt, but as an adaptation of Homer’s The Iliad, it’s puzzling and unfortunately ham-fisted. Eschewing all that makes that epic poem so enrapturing (the politics of the gods, the nearly supernatural transcendence of warriors in battle, the ruminative pacing, the narrative incompleteness, the sense of time and exhaustion), Benioff produced a barebones version of The Iliad built of its least interesting parts.

The same lowest-common-denominator adaptation theory seems to animate Benioff and Weiss’s Game of Thrones. The show, for instance, does not in any way attempt to import the narrative innovation that defines Martin’s book series. That is, each section of A Song of Ice and Fire is told from the limited third-person perspective of a different character. In contrast to the Tolkienian sweep that Game of Thrones aims for, Martin produced a strangely intimate epic, grounded in the richness of his characters and their inner demons and angels. This, obviously, would be a difficult feat to accomplish for a cable television series, but if not on HBO, where? Game of Thrones has been incessantly called “ambitious” in its press materials, and, in terms of its obscene budget, it is. But the narrative structure of the series is not at all as ambitious as its price tag may suggest. Benioff and Weiss have chosen the easiest way to tell this story, and the show suffers from it.

https://www.slantmagazine.com/tv/game-of-thrones-season-one/

Edited by Le Cygne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×