Football: Bernaburned

mormont

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, in principle getting anyone associated with u2 involved is embarrassing but, more generally, why is making an effort to make sure your stadium sounds good and has an atmosphere a bad thing?

Back in the day, atmosphere was created by the fans. Pre-match. That's almost impossible now due to the terrible, obnoxiously loud music that is usually pumped out of stadium PAs.

16 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Back in the day, atmosphere was created by the fans. Pre-match. That's almost impossible now due to the terrible, obnoxiously loud music that is usually pumped out of stadium PAs.

But while it's certainly somewhat true that a more casual, corporate culture hasn't helped atmosphere, it's also definitely in part that modern stadia just don't retain the sound very well  compared to old, tightly packed, steep arenas (a problem increased by safety regulations, of course). Why not use the tools available to maximise what you've got? It's not as if they're pumping in extra sound or anything, they're not creating anything extra.

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's not as if they're pumping in extra sound or anything

If they do, they will not be the first. I believe West Ham and Arsenal have tried it - maybe United. 

11 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Back in the day, atmosphere was created by the fans.

As indeed it is in this case. 

Is it only legitimate atmosphere if the fans have to overcome shitty acoustics to create it?

I do hope that if Everton get their Bramley Moore dock stadium, the design will help the atmosphere. 

If the fans are silent, design won't help, but if they do make noise I see no reason not to help and enhance it through architecture.

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, in principle getting anyone associated with u2 involved is embarrassing but, more generally, why is making an effort to make sure your stadium sounds good and has an atmosphere a bad thing?

It's like getting a penis extension, it may look good to others but deep down you will always be ashamed. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

As indeed it is in this case. 

If you are referring to Spurs v Palace, you're right. The Palace fans were in great voice, as usual.

Is it only legitimate atmosphere if the fans have to overcome shitty acoustics to create it?

Piping crowd noise in, under any circumstances, is pretty fucking sad, if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

I do hope that if Everton get their Bramley Moore dock stadium, the design will help the atmosphere. 

If the fans are silent, design won't help, but if they do make noise I see no reason not to help and enhance it through architecture.

When you build a new football stadium, one of the unintended consequences is the breaking up of small communities within the ground. At Highbury, my season ticket was by the corner flag in the Clock End, and the noise, at times, was phenomenal. Every week, you'd be saying hello to mates you only ever saw at the football, and over the years, each section of the ground developed its own character. When we moved up the road, that was gone.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Piping crowd noise in, under any circumstances, is pretty fucking sad, if you ask me. 

... I suppose so? I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said or what you said, though. Employing acoustic consultants in designing a stadium =/= piping in crowd noise. 

... I suppose so? I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said or what you said, though. Employing acoustic consultants in designing a stadium =/= piping in crowd noise. 

When did I mention acoustic consultants? 

17 minutes ago, Raja said:

The Soton game should *in theory* be tough for Liverpool. 

Only if we play terribly.Besides, Soton missing players - Ings, Vestergaard (unfit), Lemina.

Shane Long will replace Ings and he's scored just 1 goal in 19 this season.

Jack Stephens (in place of Vestergaard) - he will have to stop Mane,Firmino, Salah

3 minutes ago, mormont said:

You didn't: you replied to a post mentioning them. 

*sigh*

If you want to be pedantic, (and it's you, so I assume the answer is yes), you will notice that I first replied to Polish, quoting his "At least they weren't piping the sound in.'

I said they wouldn't be the first, at which point you replied to me, then I replied to you. 

I can draw you a diagram, if you like. 

19 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

*sigh*

If you want to be pedantic, (and it's you, so I assume the answer is yes), you will notice that I first replied to Polish, quoting his "At least they weren't piping the sound in.'

I said they wouldn't be the first, at which point you replied to me, then I replied to you. 

I can draw you a diagram, if you like. 

That might be what you think you did, but if you trace it back, it isn't what you actually did. You responded to polish quoting this: 

18 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not sure any of your responses really make sense if you were quoting his other post, about piping sound in rather than getting in acoustic experts, but whatever. 

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Only if we play terribly.Besides, Soton missing players - Ings, Vestergaard (unfit), Lemina.

Shane Long will replace Ings and he's scored just 1 goal in 19 this season.

Jack Stephens (in place of Vestergaard) - he will have to stop Mane,Firmino, Salah

Hopefully Klopp doesn’t play the Gini/Hendo/Milner midfield. 

19 minutes ago, mormont said:

That might be what you think you did, but if you trace it back, it isn't what you actually did. You responded to polish quoting this: 

I'm not sure any of your responses really make sense if you were quoting his other post, about piping sound in rather than getting in acoustic experts, but whatever. 

Jesus. Have you got nothing better to do? 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Hopefully Klopp doesn’t play the Gini/Hendo/Milner midfield. 

Isn't Henderson/Milner+third player (likesay Lallana) more like his shutdown combination, when he feels he needs a more solid and less adventurous set up?

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Jesus. Have you got nothing better to do? 

Than what? I looked back to see if I had misunderstood something or got it wrong, which seems to me to be good manners.

I'm not at all sure when or why this turned into something hostile in your brain, but if you're feeling feisty maybe take a walk or something.

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

Than what? I looked back to see if I had misunderstood something or got it wrong, which seems to me to be good manners.

I'm not at all sure when or why this turned into something hostile in your brain, but if you're feeling feisty maybe take a walk or something.

For the record, at no point was anything I said related to acoustic engineers. I was always talking about piped crowd noise. And when you said that the atmosphere the other night was created by the fans, what is the alternative to that, other than piped crowd noise? 

Archived