Football: Bernaburned

mormont

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah Fabinho has been our beat misfielder when he plays. He should start.

I was going to say he probably went to Brazil and back for the internationals but they apparently played in Europe. So, yeah, he probably should have started.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Thank the gods it was Sissoko in that 2v1.

In fairness it was actually fantastic defending from Van Dijk to first stop him from passing to Son, which he clearly wanted to, and then forcing him into his wrong foot.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

In fairness it was actually fantastic defending from Van Dijk to first stop him from passing to Son, which he clearly wanted to, and then forcing him into his wrong foot.

I've seen this said a few times and I massively disagree. It looks good because of the result. If you pause it just before Sissoko shoots, nobody would say, 'that defenders done a good job and put him under pressure'. He's getting credit for being van dijk, not because he's actually done anything. 

45 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've seen this said a few times and I massively disagree. It looks good because of the result. If you pause it just before Sissoko shoots, nobody would say, 'that defenders done a good job and put him under pressure'. He's getting credit for being van dijk, not because he's actually done anything. 

We're going to have to disagree on that one. Van Dijk doesn't force Sissoko to sky the ball into the crowd but pausing it just before Sissoko shoots kind of misses the point. It was a two on one in acres of space, Van Dijk's the only Liverpool player in his own half, someone is getting a shot in. Van Dijk makes sure it's the lowest percentage of the options available though by not letting Sissoko pass to the better finisher in Son and then managing to get across and make him take the shot on his wrong foot.    

Really fortunate win for Liverpool but it keeps the title race alive.  We should have scored a second while we were on top, and we should have changed the MF once Spurs looked more dangerous on the counter.

Klopp needs to learn some lessons.  His trust in Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum as a trio has been misplaced for a while.  Any two of them look better with Fabinho. Keita and Shaq seem to be out of the reckoning entirely, with Lallana and Origi getting more cameos lately.  I don’t know when/how Ox can get match practice to be sharp enough to contribute.  It seems like we really need our front three to rediscover some mojo.

Warnock has said he’ll rest players against City midweek because there’s no point in even trying.

16 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Warnock has said he’ll rest players against City midweek because there’s no point in even trying.

Can'T really blame him. Midweek feature for a relegation battler against City, there are just other games where it's more likely they pick up points. Presumably on the WE against Burnley. And in all fairness, it's not like you expected bloody Cardiff to take off points from City, did you? I mean if I were a Pool fan, I'd put my hopes on the Spurs or United game for City to drop points, and not effing Cardiff City.

In other news.

German managers leaving their clubs at the end of the season: Labbadia (Wolfsburg; known for a while) and Hecking (Gladbach).

Also German FA President Grindel resigned with immediate effect today. :D

Warnock was joking about that cause he was pissed after the officials robbed him the other day. He will play a strong side.  Makes no sense not too when you desperately need every point and he doesn’t have a game to rest players for anyway as they don’t play for 10 days after City. And no. No one expects Cardiff to take points off City. 

This is looking like a fabulous weekend for Arsenal. A tidy 2-0 win (and clean sheet, which we haven't had too many of this season) and both Spurs and United lose. This 3rd/4th place race will go down to the wire.

Does 4th place still have to do CL playoffs? If so, there's a real benefit to finishing 3rd instead of 4th.

I've always said that if Emery could regain CL qualification in his first season that would count as a successful campaign. After two opening losses, Arsenal went on a tear to start strongly, then had the traditional mid-season dip, and now hopefully we're doing the customary strong run-in to the finish line. I'm still concerned about the long-term makeup of this Arsenal team but with CL qualification we're still in with a good chance of recruiting the talent we need.

Holy crap, that Villareal - Barca game in La Liga was a blast. Barca resting key players, Villareal overperforming but go 2-0 down early, claw themselves back to an incredible 4-2. On comes Messi, pastes a free kick in the top corner at full time, and Suarez blasts in an equalizer in overtime. Watch the highligts if nothing else.

6 hours ago, lacuna said:

Holy crap, that Villareal - Barca game in La Liga was a blast. Barca resting key players, Villareal overperforming but go 2-0 down early, claw themselves back to an incredible 4-2. On comes Messi, pastes a free kick in the top corner at full time, and Suarez blasts in an equalizer in overtime. Watch the highligts if nothing else.

Good recommendation, very entertaining. But Barca were shockingly bad at times in defense, albeit with Pique absent.

Disgraceful comments from Bonucci and Allegri about Moise Kean yesterday. Their own player is being racially abused throughout the match, scores and then celebrates in front of the racists, yet they say he is equally to blame for provoking them. In the view of the Cagliari president they would have made monkey chants at a white player too had he done the same thing.

Archived