Football: of great teams having an exceptional season and exceptional teams having a great season.

6 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Solksjaer and Zidane have done Spurs a big favor.  Will Poch stay for now, or could there be another opportunity of interest?  Idk if Kovac will stay at Bayern.  He turned things around in their league campaign, but they still seem adrift.  Perhaps he gets another season but I wouldn't bet on it.  Same could apply for Tuchel at PSG -- he won the league pretty comfortably but looked poor again in the CL even with Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, DiMaria, etc.  Either of those clubs could be attractive for Poch. 

Tuchel just signed an extension rather recently (within the last two weeks or so). So he looks relatively safe. Looked poor in the CL is an overstatement. Just remember how lucky United was in that game. That was really daylight robbery with United being gifted two goals by individual howlers (Kehrer and Buffon) and the third one was that ludicrous hand penalty. And Tuchel has the advantage that Neymar actually seems to like/respect him.

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the linked chart from about, there actually is a fair amount of difference between the biggest and smallest fields. The individual meter measurements don't seem like much, but the meters squared numbers paint a different picture. I can see why @Iskaral Pust can notice the differences. 

Speaking of which, why not just build a second practice field with the larger dimensions? 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of which, why not just build a second practice field with the larger dimensions? 

I’ve wondered that too.  It makes sense to primarily train on the same dimensions as your home pitch, but surely worthwhile doing some practice on a maximum size pitch so that it’s not a disadvantage.  Especially since the biggest rivals in PL and CL, and cup finals, are where we’re most likely to encounter a maximum size pitch.

On 4/11/2019 at 12:52 PM, Consigliere said:

Arsenal were very good in that 1st half. Should be more than 2-0 up. Napoli were proper shite. Their passing in particular was the worst I've seen from them and they look at sixes and sevens at the back as well.

Agree that Arsenal were excellent in the first half. Napoli's passing was awful for sure. I do think their approach in the second half was pretty spot on in that they realized Arsenal would slow down and all they needed was 1 away goal to make things very difficult in the 2nd leg. 

Regardless of any of that or the Gunners away form, I expect a result that puts AFC through to the next round. Both because I think Napoli isn't as good a side, and I think Arsenal have realized they no longer control their destiny in finishing top four in the league and my legitimately need to win this competition.

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Heard something on the radio and I’m curious if it’s true. I’ve always wondered about pitch side, and is it correct that teams do not play on the same sized pitches in the EPL?

Noticed some others have commented on this as well, and they are all correct. FIFA mandates a minimum and maximum pitch dimension for official matches. The EPL does a good job of making sure that is followed even if some are closer to the line than others. But, in other leagues, not so much. As an American, I can attest to the fact that NYCFC (Man City affiliate) plays in an altered baseball stadium (until they eventually find that magical New York City location for a stadium of their own) that is definitely not in line with FIFA regs. They say it is, but watch a match there for yourself and you'll see just how ludicrous it looks to play a professional contests on a pitch that small.

I hate that field. Rant over. ;)  

We didn't play well though it's notable that, unlike under Mourinho, we started picking up as the game went along, nothing spectacular by earlier standards but enough to get them to win.

Also I hope people acknowledge (but they probably won't) that penalties aside Pogba was good today even though he didn't do much out-and-out creating. In a deeper role and yet (unlike under Mourinho!) he did the box-to-box midfielder thing well, cleaning up in front of the defence and feeding transitions. I'm not saying it was one of his great games but it always annoys me that when he's not playing really well he gets piled on as if he was playing badly when in reality he's usually playing just fine and, in normal circumstances, doing what you want a midfielder a bit off-pace to do in concentrating on the simple things and keeping the team moving instead of trying too hard and giving it away all the time, it's just massively notable since he's our only creative player that when he's doing that no-one else takes up the slack.

Please can we get Tielemans and Jadon Sancho?

Also: Joey Barton's been arrested after Fleetwood's game today for assaulting the opposing manager in the tunnel, supposedly.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

but it always annoys me that when he's not playing really well he gets piled on as if he was playing badly when in reality he's usually playing just fine and, in normal circumstances, doing what you want a midfielder a bit off-pace to do in concentrating on the simple things and keeping the team moving instead of trying too hard and giving it away all the time, it's just massively notable since he's our only creative player that when he's doing that no-one else takes up the slack.

I think the bolded is the key point when it comes to Pogba and it's something we need to address. KdB for example doesn't put in champagne performances every single game but there are so many other creative players around him that it isn't noticeable (and irrelevant) when he has an off day. Pogba has been good this season and has put up pretty impressive figures in terms of goals, assists and chances created with majority of those coming since Solskjaer took charge.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Please can we get Tielemans and Jadon Sancho?

We should have got Tielemans in January - we sold Fellaini and were short in midfield. It was a no risk loan deal that we should have been all over but we were sleeping once again. We desperately need a RW too. I do not want to see Lingard or Mata at RW next season. A major reason why we were so poor today is because we played both Lingard and Mata. This graphic (#8 is Mata, #14 Lingard, #6 Pogba and #17 Fred) shows just how poor our shape is when both Lingard and Mata play (this is not a one-off thing) - both players drift centrally and totally clog up the middle while leaving our CF completely isolated. 

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

We should have got Tielemans in January - we sold Fellaini and were short in midfield.

I can see why both us and Spurs hesitated, since he wasn't good for Monaco, but it was fairly obvious even then that being out of position was a big part there and also yeah, given we didn't get anyone else and that it was a loan it should have been an easy decision. It's a no-brainer now though, I initially questioned if him and Pogba together is defensive enough even with a covering third player but then I remembered that at Leicester he's partering with James Maddison who's considerably more attacking than Pogba, so we'd be fine.

(James Maddison is a hell of a player btw. That Leicester midfield is going to get stripped, if not this summer than next).

Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well. 

Also, Everton wasn't shown here in Norway. Thank goodness - I would have been close to dying if I had to watch us losing to Fulham - FULHAM - completely outplay us. 

Very few PL teams make any attempt against City now, instead just try to lose by a respectable margin.  Pep has won the psychological war, just like Ferguson in the 1990s.  It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Palace got a really valuable win last week with their tactic of getting Zaha to dribble in the box until he wins a penalty.  They’ve not been playing great lately and their goals from open play have slowed.  But last week’s win keeps them safe from relegation and now, unsurprisingly, they might have a bit less urgency.

I expect Sarri is going to come under some severe criticism for the way he set up initially. Playing Hazard as a false #9 was a total waste of time. Your best player should be played in their best position. As soon as he brought on Higuain and moved Hazard to the left was when Chelsea created the best chances they've had all game. Too little too late by the looks of things though.

Archived