Football: of great teams having an exceptional season and exceptional teams having a great season.

That’s a huge win for ‘Pool.  And before today we had only two wins over Chelsea going back for several years.  Their counter-attacking style gets them a draw or win against us most of the time. 

Well done.  Hopefully Henderson’s injury isn’t too bad.

18 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

As soon as he brought on Higuain and moved Hazard to the left was when Chelsea created the best chances they've had all game. Too little too late by the looks of things though.

In fairness they did that via Hazard staying up the pitch and not tracking back which left quite a lot of space for Salah and Alexander-Arnold even if they didn't quite take advantage. I can see why Sarri wouldn't want to do that before they went behind.

Good win for Liverpool. We should be well set up for a strong finish to the season now.

Unfortunately I do get the feeling City are going to win all the games they've got left in the league. They're well capable of beating Leicester, Burnley and Brighton with this energy saving 70% pace they seem to be cruising through games in and United aren't in good form. Spurs have just shown they can beat them but I think City are likely to finish a sequence of 3 games in quick succession stronger than Spurs will. 

Great goal by Salah  and great team work overall by everyone for the 3 points.We just have to keep going like this till the last day.

City have to play 3 PL games in 8 days, two of them are away games...i think they will drop points in at least one of them.

Of course we still have to first win all our remaining games.In the end our draws will cost us i think.

Brighton vs Cardiff tomorrow evening is a huge relegation decider.  Brighton were shockingly bad on Saturday.

I know City have two tough PL games approaching but I think Spurs will be more fatigued than City, and United’s form has declined pretty sharply.  Of course I hope City will drop points somewhere, but most probable outcome is they won’t.

15 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

That’s a little soft.:lol:

ETA: Followed up with a pointless red card for Deeney. The wheels have fallen off pretty quickly for Watford.

Don't worry. It's an Arsenal away game. They'll fuck it up.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Don't worry. It's an Arsenal away game. They'll fuck it up.

Normally I’d want Watford to win as the underdogs but Liverpool could probably do with Arsenal putting as much pressure on Spurs and United to need results against City as possible. So I’m not too fussed if Watford want to hand Arsenal a win.

Having said that Watford have actually done quite well since going down to 10 men.

That went kindly for Arsenal.  Watford have been a tough opponent for anyone this season but Delofeu was injured, really soft goal conceded and then Deeney sent off.  It keeps the race for top 4 really close.

Chelsea have a probably easy game against Burnley next, but then play United, Watford and Leicester; with the latter two still pushing for an EL spot for 7th.  Their loss to Liverpool has nudged them out of the running but Hazard is in hot form.

United have tough games against Everton (who need to show a response after losing to Fulham), City and Chelsea, before a soft finish at Huddersfield and Cardiff (whose fate is probably decided by then).  Their form has been tailing off but under Solksjaer they've managed to pick up more points than their play merited.

Spurs have City next, but then Brighton, West Ham, Bournemouth and Everton -- one team in desperate form and three with nothing left to play for and one eye on the beach.  They could/should get four wins.

Arsenal have Palace, Wolves, Leicester, Brighton, and Burnley.  I would guess that Wolves and Leicester chasing 7th might give them a competitive game but the other three won't have much at stake when they play.

So there's a lot of talk about winning the PL, finishing in the top four, relegation battles, what have you.

However, the Most Very Important Trophy - the U23 league - was won by Everton last night. 

I think we can all agree that makes us the best team ever.

Missed your Liverpool are horrible, Klopp's a donkey, [random player] is championship quality at best, get rid of them all against Chelsky.

On the other issue, it's not like the Bundsliga is crowded with English players atm. It's really less than a handful I think - even if we extend that to British players. Maybe Leipzig will have another go at Lookman in the summer, I don't think it's that likely, but I really don't give a toss about that bull's gall soda club.

Other than that, rumoredly Barca has some interest in Rashford.

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

United will be hoping they catch Barcelona on another off-day tonight. If that happens, and Rashford, Martial and Pogba play well, who knows?

Really though they should be looking to rest players, and focusing on taking points off City next week instead. Yep.

I'll be content if United can avoid a thrashing. Barca at 80% is still too good for us - their second XI would beat our first choice XI. 

Just now, Consigliere said:

C'mon, one result in meaningless - remember that one time when newly promoted Hercules won at the Nou Camp? Didn't change the fact that Barca were the best team in the world at that point.

I get it, you're just trying to keep your hopes low, right?

But just for argument's sake, without Messi, they're distinctly average. Their entire playbook is tied exclusively to him. If they lost Messi for a season, I think they'd struggle to get an EL spot, even in the outlandishly stratified La Liga.

And even with Messi, missing any two of Busquets, Alba, Suarez, Rakitic and Pique lowers their danger level tremendously. You can't just jump into that system.

But that's beside the point for tonight's game anyway. Good luck!

13 minutes ago, lacuna said:

I get it, you're just trying to keep your hopes low, right?

But just for argument's sake, without Messi, they're distinctly average. Their entire playbook is tied exclusively to him. If they lost Messi for a season, I think they'd struggle to get an EL spot, even in the outlandishly stratified La Liga.

And even with Messi, missing any two of Busquets, Alba, Suarez, Rakitic and Pique lowers their danger level tremendously. You can't just jump into that system.

But that's beside the point for tonight's game anyway. Good luck!

Messi is crucial for them but to say they'd struggle for a top 6 spot without him is unbelievably hyperbolic. Barca without Messi would still easily finish in the top 3.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Messi is crucial for them but to say they'd struggle for a top 6 spot without him is unbelievably hyperbolic. Barca without Messi would still easily finish in the top 3.

Over the course of a season, maybe you're right, they'd probably adjust eventually. It's just hard to imagine Messi injured for a longer period. Dude's a machine. 62 appearances last season, apparently. 

Also, TBH I forgot La Liga has a whole six spots. Shows what I know I guess.

Archived