Rant & Rave without Repercussion: Burn It All Edition

Corvinus85

2 minutes ago, Azerate said:

In this very thread I saw multiple people claiming that this is out of character for her, and that her story was actually supposed to be about how your heritage doesn't define you and all that kind of stuff. Mostly in the early pages. Then around the middle of the thread people started pointing out that in fact it was always a very popular and well grounded theory, at which time everyone suddenly started saying that they never denyed tha mad queen theory but don't like the execution.

I'm not trying to have a go at any particular person, and I can't really be bothered to go scanning all the pages of the thread now, just pointing out that there is a group of people who dislike this part of the show simply because they didn't want her to go mad. I'm not saying that's you, and I'm not saying that's even the majority, but it's clear to me that in this particular case, this group is more significant than in the criticism of other subplots

I liked the concept of Daenerys gradually going mad and being the embodiment of everything that was wrong about Targaryen rulers but it was poorly executed so it wasn't me " that her story was actually supposed to be about how your heritage doesn't define you and all that kind of stuff." never seen that argument made on this thread I'd be interested in reading that. 

Then around the middle of the thread people started pointing out that in fact it was always a very popular and well grounded theory, at which time everyone suddenly started saying that they never denyed tha mad queen theory but don't like the execution. 

people have been making your kind of ' it was always foreshadowed  lol deal with it' comment from the beginning of the thread. Genocidal rage wasn't an established part of her character so that was correct

Just now, Corvinus said:

If Arya ends up killing Dany, will that mean the song of ice and fire is hers? 

It will mean the entire TV show was a joke.

Not to say that it won't be a complete joke by the end of it anyways.

But if Arya kills Dany, then the show will no longer be "Game of Thrones." It will be "The Rise and Never Fall of Arya Stark and Some Interesting Not-Quite-Friends"

10 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

We all need to revisit those movies.

But as you'll find out when you rewatch them, they actually do both ennumerate and explain Riddick's powers. They also make it a point to make Riddick's powers purposeful with a story. Whether or not they were successful is up for debate (many say it was very unsuccessful) but it wasn't for lack of trying.

D&D never even tried.

And then there's the fact that Missandei and Olenna Tyrell encouraged Daenerys be the dragon and lord over the sheep and that Daenerys should unleash dragonfire and be the city-sacker that she was in Astapor.

Were they the Mad Secretary and the Mad Lady?

Missandei's parting word seemed to actually suggest that Daenerys would be setting the commonfolk of King's Landing free with dragonfire. As she set the slaves in Astapor free with dragonfire.

A case could be made that Missy's words were out of character for her, afterall why would she want Dany to burn KL? She's never even been there?  I'm sure the show did it to give her one last badass line before cutting her head off, but it's not really consistent with her past as a diplomat/interpreter.  She wants to dracarys KL because some Notherners gave her dirty looks?  Why not give her a sentence she says in Valaryian but something with a little more finesse or meaning.

Or, they should have had Dany's whole army lined up, and Cersei just says fuck it, does the beheading THEN Missy saying darcarys would be a reasonable trigger that Dany goes nuts and decides to burn it all.  

Just now, Cas Stark said:

A case could be made that Missy's words were out of character for her, afterall why would she want Dany to burn KL? She's never even been there?  I'm sure the show did it to give her one last badass line before cutting her head off, but it's not really consistent with her past as a diplomat/interpreter.  She wants to dracarys KL because some Notherners gave her dirty looks?  Why not give her a sentence she says in Valaryian but something with a little more finesse or meaning.

Or, they should have had Dany's whole army lined up, and Cersei just says fuck it, does the beheading THEN Missy saying darcarys would be a reasonable trigger that Dany goes nuts and decides to burn it all.  

Wait who is the victim of the beheading? Missandei? How can Missandei say dracarys loud enough for Dany to hear from so far away after she's been beheaded?

Just now, Jabar of House Titan said:

Wait who is the victim of the beheading? Missandei? How can Missandei say dracarys loud enough for Dany to hear from so far away after she's been beheaded?

They already heard it didn't they?  Why can't they hear it when they have the army behind them?

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I think missy's dracarys is suposed to be a war cry. Not exactly an encouragement to burn the city… 

But yeah, it was just to be cool...

On 5/13/2019 at 12:34 AM, House Cambodia said:

Agree, that's disappointing, as was Euron landing the fatal blow on Jamie - Jamie deserves a better send-off.

Technically, Jaime was killed by Danny, not Urine. Take that, Heavy Metal Pirate!

3 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Was that this season?  I am not surprised if she said it this season; I would be very surprised if she said something like that in prior seasons.  Please let me know when she said that; in all sincereity, I always try to get countervailing info (ie: I once got RIPSHIT when, in the show, the Greatjon referred to Eddard as "Ned" as opposed to "Lord Stark" saying that the book would NEVER do something like that ... only to have it pointed out to me that he said it in the book).  

I don't ever remember her saying she would raise KL prior to this year,

And even with that said, it's one thing to raise a city that's in open defiance to you; it's another thing to raise a city that has completely surrendered to you.  

Season 2 for sure, and I believe also in seasons 3 and 6. There's actually been a helpful Tweet floating around:

GoT is the second most convoluted show I've ever seen after Westworld, so it's easy to forget small things that happened over the years. There are a lot of throwaway lines and scenes were Dany threatens large scales of people, some who are entirely innocent. Also keep in mind how excited she was to have a son that would be the greatest conqueror ever.

What I will say is that I think she typically overlooked how her actions would affect others in the past. The big difference this season is that she no longer seems to care about that.

Also, I believe it's "raze", not "raise." I think I made that mistake for a very long time. 

I'm being super optimistic but I think they might have done 1 thing properly this season that'll actually pay off next season. (Maybe...hopefully...please lord...) This also relates to the leaks and the ending within it.

Remember that conversation between Bran and Tyrion at Winterfell that they cut away from? I was pissed at the time because literally 5 minutes of exposition between the two would have been priceless and couldve closed so many character loops. If the leak ending is to be believed, then perhaps that conversation will be useful.

But who am I kidding? This whole thing is fucked.

25 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

They already heard it didn't they?  Why can't they hear it when they have the army behind them?

Oh okay I see what you're saying.

Have Missandei spend a couple days (aka an episode) in King's Landing as Cersei's hostage so she can see Cersei's rule and how the masses respond to it up close.

Then the whole thing can come crashing down in this episode.

But that would make too much sense for D&D and their legions. Expectations must be subverted, epically illogical showdowns must commence and sharks must be jumped

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Season 2 for sure, and I believe also in seasons 3 and 6. There's actually been a helpful Tweet floating around:

GoT is the second most convoluted show I've ever seen after Westworld, so it's easy to forget small things that happened over the years. There are a lot of throwaway lines and scenes were Dany threatens large scales of people, some who are entirely innocent. Also keep in mind how excited she was to have a son that would be the greatest conqueror ever.

What I will say is that I think she typically overlooked how her actions would affect others in the past. The big difference this season is that she no longer seems to care about that.

Also, I believe it's "raze", not "raise." I think I made that mistake for a very long time. 

Small things?

Christian community of King's Landing is a small time. A Starbucks coffee cup on a table is a small thing.

The messages and symbols of the White Walkers which we had been seeing since the opening of season 1, episode 1 is not a small thing. Character development is not a small thing. Not abiding by the laws of travel and physics in the world you created is not a small thing.

The fact that the showrunners can't keep track of their own show and their own characters is a sign of incompetence.

45 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

It will mean the entire TV show was a joke.

Not to say that it won't be a complete joke by the end of it anyways.

But if Arya kills Dany, then the show will no longer be "Game of Thrones." It will be "The Rise and Never Fall of Arya Stark and Some Interesting Not-Quite-Friends"

And, something like that ruins Arya more than she already has been anyway.  Arya has now taken on the roles of Nymeria and her pack of wolves, Lady Stoneheart and the Brotherhood, Lord Manderly, and Azor Ahai.  And, maybe, poor Arya is in there somewhere. 

11 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

And, something like that ruins Arya more than she already has been anyway.  Arya has now taken on the roles of Nymeria and her pack of wolves, Lady Stoneheart and the Brotherhood, Lord Manderly, and Azor Ahai.  And, maybe, poor Arya is in there somewhere. 

And, apparently, there's a quite bit of James Bond, Wolverine and the Christopher Nolan Batman in there too.

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Sweet fucking jesus Christ.

There is no way this can possibly go well. WHO THOUGHT it was a good idea to let two white guys who cannot write nuanced political themes, female characters, sexuality and sexual violence, and just about everything that's sensitive well, be in charge of a topic that would need to be handled with a level 4 CDC level of cautiousness??

Archived