Jump to content
Jova Snow

Are there any characters you don't like their names?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Are there any characters whose names you don't like and would like to change? I personally don't like the names of Daemon Blackfyre, Rohanne of Tyrosh and Aenys Blackfyre. Now the names are fine I just don't like them on these characters. 

Daemon Blackfyre - named after Daemon the Rogue Prince, he could be an important figure but that doesn't change the fact he was horrible to his first wife and killed a child for revenge. I think it would be better if he was named Daemion, a similar name that predates the conquest, or Gaemon if there wasn't a pretender to Aegon III's throne with the same name. 

Rohanne of Tyrosh - she is the only other Rohanne beside Rohanne Webber and the two women doesn't share anything beside their names, I love the name given to her by show lore, Serena. 

Aenys Blackfyre - Aenys Targaryen was ok, wasn't great but considering his reign it isn't a name that will be chosen by a Warrior King, Aenys Blackfyre was also an Usurper to his nephew so the name doesn't fit considering it was Aenys' children that was usurped by their uncle. I would prefer Aelyx, a pre conquest name that is similar to Aenys, or Jaehaerys? 

Edited by Jova Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LordMarek said:

The name Jon Snow has always bored me.

I think it was the perfect name. It's basically the in world equivalent of John Smith, and considering that Ned chose that name, it hints that its a fake name used to hide identity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joffrey. Not Jeffrey or Geoffrey, but Joffrey. 

Never like the name Sansa either. 

I don't dislike them necessarily, but the random Lannister names always gave me pause. "Ty-someting" seems to be a family name for the Lannisters of the Rock and Tywin names his son & heir "Jaime"? Seems like he should've gotten Tyrion. Kevan also seems random. 

I always thought Martell was a very French sounding name for a family that's supposed to have a Mediterranean/Spanish influence (I'm aware France is on the Mediterranean too, but you know what I mean). 

And I stopped trying to remember names of folks in Slavers Bay and basically remembered them by how it looked, not how it read. I get that a foreign land will have foreign names, but sometimes it felt like GRRM was just fucking with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

Joffrey. Not Jeffrey or Geoffrey, but Joffrey. 

Never like the name Sansa either. 

I don't dislike them necessarily, but the random Lannister names always gave me pause. "Ty-someting" seems to be a family name for the Lannisters of the Rock and Tywin names his son & heir "Jaime"? Seems like he should've gotten Tyrion. Kevan also seems random. 

I always thought Martell was a very French sounding name for a family that's supposed to have a Mediterranean/Spanish influence (I'm aware France is on the Mediterranean too, but you know what I mean). 

And I stopped trying to remember names of folks in Slavers Bay and basically remembered them by how it looked, not how it read. I get that a foreign land will have foreign names, but sometimes it felt like GRRM was just fucking with us.

Yeah, "Jaime" seems too out of place for a Lannister name. It should be "Timothy" if they wanted it to rhyme with Cersei. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Br16 said:

Yeah, "Jaime" seems too out of place for a Lannister name. It should be "Timothy" if they wanted it to rhyme with Cersei. 

I thought that as well until I looked at the Lannister family tree and saw that they have a thing for names with certain letters/letter combinations. Ty is the most obvious one, but they also indulge in the letter J - Jaime, Joanna, Jason, Jeyne, Janei, Joy etc as well as C- Cerelle, Cerissa, Cersei, Cerenna.

That said, I totally dislike the names Reniffer and Boniffer. Just sounds totally queer and unfitting in my ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like many people already mentioned the names from essos (I am looking at you, meereen) just don't get into my head and I find it hard to enjoy the chapters with them. 

Besides those I don't really have names I don't like... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lord Vance II said:

I don't dislike them necessarily, but the random Lannister names always gave me pause. "Ty-someting" seems to be a family name for the Lannisters of the Rock and Tywin names his son & heir "Jaime"? Seems like he should've gotten Tyrion. Kevan also seems random. 

I always thought Martell was a very French sounding name for a family that's supposed to have a Mediterranean/Spanish influence (I'm aware France is on the Mediterranean too, but you know what I mean). 

Good points, both,  The Lannisters have some sort of Iberian-y influence, hence Joanna and Jaime, I think, but the "Ty" names are inconsistent with that. The one that really, really jars is Cersei, though.  That is obviously an allusion to Circe, but the spelling and the random insertion of a Classical mythical allusion has always annoyed me.  There are other Lannister women with the 'Cer' prefix, but I suspect those were created later to provide some context for the name Cersei. 

The name Martell is almost certainly an allusion to Charles Martel, the Frankish warrior-statesman, but the Martells themselves have a mix of weirdly spelled Celtic-inspired names with a few randoms,  I guess that might be a tie-back to the quasi-Welsh status of Dorne in the larger union. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LadyOfCastamere said:

I thought that as well until I looked at the Lannister family tree and saw that they have a thing for names with certain letters/letter combinations. Ty is the most obvious one, but they also indulge in the letter J - Jaime, Joanna, Jason, Jeyne, Janei, Joy etc as well as C- Cerelle, Cerissa, Cersei, Cerenna.

That said, I totally dislike the names Reniffer and Boniffer. Just sounds totally queer and unfitting in my ears.

There is also  the dreaded Tristifer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LadyOfCastamere said:

I thought that as well until I looked at the Lannister family tree and saw that they have a thing for names with certain letters/letter combinations. Ty is the most obvious one, but they also indulge in the letter J - Jaime, Joanna, Jason, Jeyne, Janei, Joy etc as well as C- Cerelle, Cerissa, Cersei, Cerenna.

That said, I totally dislike the names Reniffer and Boniffer. Just sounds totally queer and unfitting in my ears.

Good point. Also, after some more thought, I think "Jaime" is actually a good contrast to "Tywin", and hints how Tyrion is closer to Tywin than he would like to admit.

Edited by Br16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mellario is a strange name for a woman, sounds very manly to me. Of course, Norvos itself has many strange customs, starting with women shaving their heads completely bald, a thing which usually men do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Daena the Defiant said:

There is also  the dreaded Tristifer.  

Almost forgot about that one!

@szbszig True, I forgot about Mellario. Very strange name for a woman indeed, but GRRM loves to play with all types of expectations and norms. I hope we will do a trip to Norvos in the books as well to learn about their customs there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×