US Politics: 40 Acres and Barack Obama

Fragile Bird

3 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I know we're really not supposed to think things like this, but ffs, this is the shit that gets me looking up guillotine blueprints.

THEY don't want you thinking things like that. Because they want you to obey.

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The Guillotine has that "reign of terror" connotation but is also easily the most merciful execution.  

This is neither here nor there, but this response made me think of the most painless ways to kill people.  I've heard/read conflicting things about some of the drugs they use for executions.  But wouldn't just the simplest way to be simply sedating/putting them to sleep, then yeah, chopping off their head really quickly like a guillotine, or shooting them in the head?

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

The Supreme Court’s Covert Plan to Gut the EPA’s Powers
The conservative justices signaled they want to limit agencies' ability to regulate. That could have disastrous consequences for the planet.

https://newrepublic.com/article/154266/supreme-courts-covert-plan-gut-epas-powers

Yet, the 'blue' states seem intent of 'going green' regardless of federal decrees.  

Pelosi Called Trump Asking to Call Off ICE Raids

Trump and Pelosi spoke at 7:20 p.m. ET Friday night for about 12 minutes, according to the source. White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere confirmed a phone call took place Friday night between Trump and Pelosi.

A senior Democratic aide said Trump is "trying to create leverage in a situation where he has none," adding that "it won't work."

"Democrats aren't going to compromise their values," the aide said. "He's walked away from several deals on immigration. We have no illusions here."

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Yeah, so at that rate it's $1,500 a ticket for the actual debate.

I don't even know where to fucking begin defending that. So... -insert attack against Republicans here-

The DNC is starkly losing the fundraising battle.  I'd charge $1 million a ticket and only have billionaires in the audience if it meant helping them make that up.  I'm not gonna shed a tear because voters have to watch it on TV.  It's not like an experience that you can only see live.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The DNC is starkly losing the fundraising battle.  I'd charge $1 million a ticket and only have billionaires in the audience if it meant helping them make that up.  I'm not gonna shed a tear because voters have to watch it on TV.  It's not like an experience that you can only see live.

I seem to have this hazy recollection that the DNC took careful aim at their foot with a shotgun and pulled the trigger with regards to the likes of AOC and other progressives getting funding with their campaigns.  Given such jackass behavior, why care about their internal fiscal woes?

I would also point out this is the same bunch that thought getting into a 'sketchy situation' with the Clinton campaign an absolutely wonderful idea.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

I seem to have this hazy recollection that the DNC took careful aim at their foot with a shotgun and pulled the trigger with regards to the likes of AOC and other progressives getting funding with their campaigns.  Given such jackass behavior, why care about their internal fiscal woes?

I believe you're referring to this.  That's just how party organizations work.  The entire conception of the DNC (or RNC) is to protect their incumbents.  That's why they exist.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Damn, that was a god awful editorial.  It was just cringe worthy to read in so many levels.  I don't really even disagree with the thrust of it, but I'd be embarrassed to publish something like that.

Eta: mostly annoyed that the author seems really bummed about Dens not catering enough to the white working class.  This sounds like it was written in early December 2016.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I believe you're referring to this.  That's just how party organizations work.  The entire conception of the DNC (or RNC) is to protect their incumbents.  That's why they exist.

Like I said - they deliberately shot themselves in the foot.  Threw away the future in an utterly futile bid to preserve the past.  

Incentive for AOC and others to ignore party proclamations while nominally remaining members of the party.  Or hell's own mess. 

They did what any party org does.  You think the NRCC did anything different in 2010 when the Tea Party emerged?  Ascendant intraparty movements have to overcome such institutional hurdles if they wanna get taken serious.  Them's the breaks.

57 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Damn, that was a god awful editorial.  It was just cringe worthy to read in so many levels.  I don't really even disagree with the thrust of it, but I'd be embarrassed to publish something like that.

Eta: mostly annoyed that the author seems really bummed about Dens not catering enough to the white working class.  This sounds like it was written in early December 2016.

Seems legit to me, and the writer never mentions white working class, just the working class. Hillary's comments after the election are reminiscent of Romney's comments about the 47 percent who don't pay taxes. It is elitism, and the neo-liberal democratic party is just the old Republican party before Reagan. 

I think a lot of issues face a lot of people, but if you want to talk about race and gender issues, but ignore working class issues, then you lose a lot of (rightfully) angry people. I think a significant chunk of them have been conned by the right, and the left should step up and provide some actual support. 

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

They did what any party org does.  You think the NRCC did anything different in 2010 when the Tea Party emerged?  Ascendant intraparty movements have to overcome such institutional hurdles if they wanna get taken serious.  Them's the breaks.

This is the most damaging piece of news I have ever read in my entire life. There is no future beyond this point! Abandon hope, fool! Cast your wisdom to the earth and stamp out the cinders of faith which may yet smolder in those darkening hearts. For all is yet to be lost anew! 

I think I'd make a pretty fantastic news anchor. Setting fun aside, like I wish normal people could go to the debates. But if the party can raise that kind of bank??? Fuck yeah charge them fools.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fancy Pants said:

Seems legit to me, and the writer never mentions white working class, just the working class. Hillary's comments after the election are reminiscent of Romney's comments about the 47 percent who don't pay taxes. It is elitism, and the neo-liberal democratic party is just the old Republican party before Reagan. 

I think a lot of issues face a lot of people, but if you want to talk about race and gender issues, but ignore working class issues, then you lose a lot of (rightfully) angry people. I think a significant chunk of them have been conned by the right, and the left should step up and provide some actual support. 

And the dishonesty continues with the Democratic establishment wing.  If Hillary had won in 2016, the party would’ve drifted further away from its working-class roots. But the defeat in 2016 has forced party establishment leaders like Joe Biden to now go through the performative motions of pretend-caring especially about white working-class  voters

Bolding mine.  

Archived