US Politics: 40 Acres and Barack Obama

Fragile Bird

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I doubt that he believes this privately. He probably just thinks it’s a good strategy. And I expect you’re going to disagree with my next comment, but I think you have to allow for candidates to placate to ignorant middle age white people. It shouldn’t have to be that way, but we need to win, and if that’s what it takes, so be it.

Yeah but he doesn't need those people. Turn out the base

Eta, well Biden himself does, I meant Dems don't need old fucks.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I doubt that he believes this privately. He probably just thinks it’s a good strategy. And I expect you’re going to disagree with my next comment, but I think you have to allow for candidates to placate to ignorant middle age white people. It shouldn’t have to be that way, but we need to win, and if that’s what it takes, so be it.

I can see the political calculus behind placating ignorant middle age white people. It's been the only real recipe for political success in this country for hundreds of years. Obama certainly had to do it. But I'm tired of it, and I think that strategy is the wrong track in this climate.

In the meantime we are to be vewy nice and understanding of Christians, because ... why?  Have you ever wondered how smart, how well-informed, are Christians? Of course you have! This is how smart and well-informed they are: 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/20/petition-netflix-cancel-amazon-prime-good-omens-christian-neil-gaiman-terry-pratchett

More than 20,000 Christians have signed a petition calling for the cancellation of Good Omens, the television series adapted from Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s 1990 fantasy novel – unfortunately addressing their petition to Netflix when the series is made by Amazon Prime.... 

....Christians marshalled by the Return to Order campaign, an offshoot of the US Foundation for a Christian Civilisation,[declare this promotes the practice of Satanism]. More than 20,000 supporters have signed a petition in which they say that Good Omens is “another step to make satanism appear normal, light and acceptable”, and “mocks God’s wisdom”. God, they complain, is “voiced by a woman” – Frances McDormand – the antichrist is a “normal kid” and, most importantly, “this type of video makes light of Truth, Error, Good and Evil, and destroys the barriers of horror that society still has for the devil”. They are calling on Netflix to cancel the show.

This raises the legitimate question, which is, "Why in hell any of the rest of us should pay any attention whatsoever about what they pontificate and believe about anything, such as climate catastrophe is her will, queer folk, transgendered folk, folk of skin color that isn't white, women don't have the right to choose what they to do with their bodies, and must be burned as witches or imprisoned, or at the very least pretend they don't exist?" 

Am I right, or am I right?

Whether or not he believes it is irrelevant, while he has displayed his willingness to grovel to the worst people, he has not shown the same desire or competency when it comes to fighting for things that matter. Trump is not an anomaly, he is the logical progression of Republican intolerance and “business as usual”, the same fictitious normalcy Creepy Uncle Joe extols. 

If Biden wants to highlight his ability to work with Republicans in the Senate, fine.  Talk about Republicans that Democrats have some modicum of respect for, like Olympia Snowe and John McCain.  Bringing up segregationists, and their "civility" is just stupid.  You know how Biden was gaffe prone in previous runs for President?  Looks like it's back. 

Biden's best groups in polls are older white moderates and low information black voters.  It looks like he's pissing on the latter in order to appeal (clumsily) to the former.  It is a bad strategy. 

I have been hearing about Trump raising all kinds of money for his reelection campaign.  More than all the Democratic contenders. Any bets that Trump tries to divert as much as possible to his businesses and spends less than nothing on helping fellow Republicans?

Judging by the past it's likely that all the other candidates are going to wipe the stage with gaffer joe.  Plus, see! Mitch McConnell, he helps his pal Joe, broadcasting that Joe spoke a eulogy at Strom Thurmond's funeral.

BTW, those of us who may be too young to really know what Strom Thurmond was, go here:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/racist-filibuster-we-cant-afford-forget

45 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I can see the political calculus behind placating ignorant middle age white people. It's been the only real recipe for political success in this country for hundreds of years. Obama certainly had to do it. But I'm tired of it, and I think that strategy is the wrong track in this climate.

It’s going to be unavoidable. Democrats like to crow that the demographic winds are at their backs, but there’s also a huge problem staring them down. Pretty soon half the country will live in just eight states, which means something like 70% of the Senate will represent around 30% of the country, and those will largely be tiny all white states. Given that and the EC, they have no choice but to throw them an unearned bone.  

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s going to be unavoidable. Democrats like to crow that the demographic winds are at their backs, but there’s also a huge problem staring them down. Pretty soon half the country will live in just eight states, which means something like 70% of the Senate will represent around 30% of the country, and those will largely be tiny all white states. Given that and the EC, they have no choice but to throw them an unearned bone.  

This is just so wrong on so many levels when it comes to national elections.  In the Senate, of course you want candidates that fit their states, but any nominee is more than capable of winning the electoral college without deferring to white racial resentment.  You recoup minority turnout in the major cities of MI, PA, and WI - not to mention focus on mobilizing the vast variety of potential minority voters in Florida (even if I'm still cynical about that).  

Obama did it because he took his responsibility as the first black president seriously, and subsequently he walked on eggshells in a lot of ways he arguably shouldn't have in hindsight, including kowtowing to that voter bloc.  But it's well past time the party grew a fucking spine and its leader stand up and say that you know what, let's be honest and clear about this, the GOP and its leaders are a malignant tumor that have been destroying our country for the past 40 years (at least).  Biden's message and style is the precisely wrong direction the party should be going in strategically, and is a perfect representation for why the party such a widespread reputation of being ham-fisted, befuddled, and feckless.

6 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

The US is becoming less white with time, so the middle aged white demographic will be shrinking. It's still going to be a substantial voting bloc for a long time though, and stitching up support from a range of other voter demographics will take more work. And also getting a higher voter turn out from a lot of those demographics will take a lot of work, not only at getting people to vote, but also in making sure they are fully enfranchised. Such as right to vote after being released from prison.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

This is just so wrong on so many levels when it comes to national elections.  In the Senate, of course you want candidates that fit their states, but any nominee is more than capable of winning the electoral college without deferring to white racial resentment.  You recoup minority turnout in the major cities of MI, PA, and WI - not to mention focus on mobilizing the vast variety of potential minority voters in Florida (even if I'm still cynical about that).  

Sure any candidate can win, but again, you have to factor him how the population is spread out, and that it will only get worse. That doesn't mean Democrats won't be able to win, they will, but it would be foolish to ignore how national issues affect individual Senate races, and how in turn that could lead to a permanent super majority in the Senate for Republicans.

Obama did it because he took his responsibility as the first black president seriously, and subsequently he walked on eggshells in a lot of ways he arguably shouldn't have in hindsight, including kowtowing to that voter bloc.  But it's well past time the party grew a fucking spine and its leader stand up and say that you know what, let's be honest and clear about this, the GOP and its leaders are a malignant tumor that have been destroying our country for the past 40 years (at least).  Biden's message and style is the precisely wrong direction the party should be going in strategically, and is a perfect representation for why the party such a widespread reputation of being ham-fisted, befuddled, and feckless.

Hey man, I don't disagree. I've said repeatedly that I don't want Biden as the nominee. But if he is, he's probably going to do what you don't want him to do, and that might be the best strategy for him, not every candidate. 

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Yep, he is going to try anyway, over the turtle's dead body.

Are you talking about Roy Moore announcing in Alabama? I would be willing to accept him in the Senate, if it was over the turtle's dead body.

I am a little surprised Moore came up for air again. You'd think he'd try to lie low since Alabama is contemplating chemical castration for molesters. Then again, Roy Moore isn't the demographic that the very very impartial Alabaman justice system would actually punish, is he?

31 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Are you talking about Roy Moore announcing in Alabama? I would be willing to accept him in the Senate, if it was over the turtle's dead body.

I am a little surprised Moore came up for air again. You'd think he'd try to lie low since Alabama is contemplating chemical castration for molesters. Then again, Roy Moore isn't the demographic that the very very impartial Alabaman justice system would actually punish, is he?

‘This place has enough creepy old men’: GOP vows to crush Roy Moore
Republicans fear the conservative firebrand accused of sexual misconduct will cost them a crucial Senate seat.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/20/roy-moore-senate-republicans-defeat-1374226

Republicans are promising to do everything they can to obliterate Roy Moore in the Alabama Senate primary.

A push is underway to get President Donald Trump involved in derailing Moore. Republicans are actively moving to recruit Jeff Sessions to run for his old seat. And GOP leaders are warning the party will jeopardize perhaps its only chance at picking up a Senate seat next year if they let Democrat Doug Jones get his favored match-up.

"There will be a lot of efforts made to ensure that we have a nominee other than him and one who can win in November,” said Senate Majority Whip John Thune (R-S.D.). “He’s already proven he can’t.”

Added Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, “We’ll be opposing Roy Moore vigorously."

I really want to know why Biden thinks that a racist, southern, segregationist senator would have called him, a white man, boy? And why it means anything that they didn't, because not being called boy has nothing to do with whether those "civil" segregationists would call a black man boy (and I guess that yes they did).

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

In the meantime we are to be vewy nice and understanding of Christians, because ... why?  Have you ever wondered how smart, how well-informed, are Christians? Of course you have! This is how smart and well-informed they are: 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/20/petition-netflix-cancel-amazon-prime-good-omens-christian-neil-gaiman-terry-pratchett

This raises the legitimate question, which is, "Why in hell any of the rest of us should pay any attention whatsoever about what they pontificate and believe about anything, such as climate catastrophe is her will, queer folk, transgendered folk, folk of skin color that isn't white, women don't have the right to choose what they to do with their bodies, and must be burned as witches or imprisoned, or at the very least pretend they don't exist?" 

Am I right, or am I right?

Why are you acting like Christians are some monolithic group? The majority of Democrats are still Christians. The majority of people of color in the US too, and there are plenty members of the LGBTQ community which are Christians as well and there are plenty of Christians who do recognize Climate change to be a threat.

We should ignore these people on important matters because of them being Christian? Absurd.

You seem to think they all could be lumped together with the stringent evangelical conservative Christians who enjoys breitbart. 

That’s wrong. 

Archived