The Boys (Amazon)

AncalagonTheBlack

tv > comix > supes = the obvs? Especially when all about the meta?

More -- why subject us to that dreary fish finding himself?  "You are so beautiful" is hugely obvious and dull.

Whereas the pockets why don't we have any was a way cool way to have V let loose in the wild (presumably let loose -- don't know for sure yet).

With her power set it's a pretty good cover for using that name. The general public irl wouldn't have much awareness of stormfront being a Nazi website so why would we expect the equivalent general public in world to recognise it when her lightning powers explain it and she looks to be claiming at least a feminist image.

Edit: bumped the post button while still typing

The speculation I've seen is that

Spoiler

She's one of the first supes, the one Mallory mentioned called Liberty, repackaged as a new supe. In that scenario she's been called into the Seven right after Homelander demonstrated he needed to be brought under control and she's much more tied into the aims of Vought. 

The combination of not having any other clear reason for Mallory to have brought it up, and the weird Pippi Longstocking conversation which feels rather dated for a new social media savvy supe makes me feel there may be something to this theory.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

With her power set it's a pretty good cover for using that name. The general public irl wouldn't have much awareness of stormfront being a Nazi website so why would we expect the equivalent general public in world to recognise it when her lightning powers explain it and she looks to be claiming at least a feminist image.

Edit: bumped the post button while still typing

I certainly didn't know. Thanks for the education. Isn't the character from the comic books, but male?

56 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The speculation I've seen is that

Hide contents

She's one of the first supes, the one Mallory mentioned called Liberty, repackaged as a new supe. In that scenario she's been called into the Seven right after Homelander demonstrated he needed to be brought under control and she's much more tied into the aims of Vought. 

The combination of not having any other clear reason for Mallory to have brought it up, and the weird Pippi Longstocking conversation which feels rather dated for a new social media savvy supe makes me feel there may be something to this theory.

That is interesting. 

And another character mentioned in the last episode

Spoiler

Shining Light. I'm guessing that's Lamplighter.

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I certainly didn't know. Thanks for the education. Isn't the character from the comic books, but male?

That is interesting. 

And another character mentioned in the last episode

Hide contents

Shining Light. I'm guessing that's Lamplighter.

She's male in the comics but I think also just more straightforward - obviously without that change you wouldn't have the feminist public image either. So there's room for them to have made more changes as well, but clearly kept the core of the character the same.

As to the last bit, Shining Light is the terrorist group that had kidnapped Kimiko and her brother and forced them to become child soldiers. 

Spoiler

There might be a person going by that name as well, if there was a reference to that then I missed it, but I don't think they can be a Supe as the group used up it's V on Kimiko and then her brother as they knew it had worked on her genetics. Now that you've mentioned it I kinda like the idea of Lamplighter being behind it though lol. He was cast for season 2 so you could well be onto something.

17 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Aya Cash has been a great addition. She seems to excel at playing despicable characters. I loved her in You're the Worst.

I didn't know of her before this but yeah, she's fantastic. When I first heard she's called Stormfront, I was thinking - seriously, they named her THAT? Anyways I think the dynamic between her and Homelander could be fun this season.

Fish boy's continued humiliation is hilarious. I was a bit worried they'd be going for a redemption arc for the guy but seems good so far.

I'm afraid that as a non-American, I had no idea that Stormfront was a Nazi website.

I'm not sure what's up with her though I distrusted her from the first. Her whole "I'm an anti-Vought nonconformist straight-shooter" shtick seemed extremely fake to me. I mean, if everything she was saying was what she really believes, then why the fuck would she even join the Seven? She would be out doing her own thing instead of selling out to make bank in the corporate world. Nonetheless, I was still pretty shocked when she just murdered those bystanders in cold blood. Killing the target (and enjoying it) wasn't a shock though.

Episode 1 was a yawn but by the third I was really into this season.

When they showed Liberty in one magazine image, I thought she might be Becca. Perhaps Homelander picked her to bear his child because she also has powers?

I must say that the actor who plays Homelander is doing one hell of a job. He's super creepy yet very believable. Chace Crawford was also really funny. Overall, I think they have a great cast.

My sole source of annoyance is the weekly episode release thing.  I loved binging season 1 over a long weekend.  The Long weekend is here once more...

Spoiler

1.  What is our best understanding now of the relationship between Becca and Homelander now and Ryan's conception? Was it consensual or rape? Did Becca seduce Homelander on instructions from Vought?

2.  I thought the Female was supposed to be deadly in combat.  Yet Stormlight takes her and her brother apart.  I'm struggling to fathom how she will get her revenge. 

3.  I read a spoiler that says Stormfront can resist Homelander's laser eyes thing.  There's nothing in the show so far about this right?

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

My sole source of annoyance is the weekly episode release thing.  I loved binging season 1 over a long weekend.  The Long weekend is here once more...

Hide contents

1.  What is our best understanding now of the relationship between Becca and Homelander now and Ryan's conception? Was it consensual or rape? Did Becca seduce Homelander on instructions from Vought?

2.  I thought the Female was supposed to be deadly in combat.  Yet Stormlight takes her and her brother apart.  I'm struggling to fathom how she will get her revenge. 

3.  I read a spoiler that says Stormfront can resist Homelander's laser eyes thing.  There's nothing in the show so far about this right?

Spoiler

Kimiko is strong, but her main ability is healing. A lot of supes are very strong, even Starlight. 

In one of the trailers I saw the laser eyes thing.

Ya -- I wish it wasn't a weekly release.  So much momentum gets lost.  So far I've only watch half of the 3 episodes currently on offer.  I'm wondering if I can possibly hold off finishing them until all the episodes are up. I doubt it.  I sincerely doubt it. Sigh.

I wonder why this show so fascinates me, as it's everything I steer clear away from in most cases -- comix, supers, especially the stupid costumes, and the pop culture so-called humor, the fixation on old super pop music rock stars of the past for t-shirts and sound track  -- but having watched the first season's first ep last month (I got to watch them all continuously though!) -- I was hooked until the end, and looking forward to season 2.

Could it be entirely due to the cast, the actors?  Or just that in so many ways the production shows how well it knows this AMERICA.  Their portrait of the mega christian church culture is tone perfectly on the money, and operative word here is money.

I think there's something in it's combination of violence that would normally translate to grimdark with a tone that's far too absurdist and comic for grimdark. But yeah what you said plays a role as well.

47 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I think there's something in it's combination of violence that would normally translate to grimdark with a tone that's far too absurdist and comic for grimdark. But yeah what you said plays a role as well.

For me it's the combination of pessimism and dysfunction that rings all too true.  I'm not even watching another TV show at the moment but I knew I was going to watch this.

Trailer-based speculation and SPOILERS below: 

Spoiler

Like the reveal that Vought creates Supers rather than destroying Vought developing into a clamor for more Supes to be made (led by Stormfront) rings SO true in Trump's America.  The truth is not a knock-out blow.  It's actually counter-productive.  

As does the mytho-bureaucratic name "Homelander" led by that dysfunctional, all-encompassing and thoroughly nativist branch of government: the Department of Homeland Security. 

Just finished Ep. 3. I choked on my coffee at the line

Spoiler

They've got Lin Manuel Miranda to do the voice-over!

It took me really until the end of episode 2/episode 3 to get back into the show. I remembered S1 coming out of the blue and being unexpectedly fantastic, and E1 of S2 just felt a bit grim-dark and bewildering. I wondered if the show had done all it could in terms of up-ending superheroes and satirising modern culture in S1 and had run out of energy and ideas.  But by the end of E3 I was completely sold again. 

I'm interested to see what happens with Stormfront - she was really well-written.

Spoiler

Good to have her around as a contrast and rival to Homelander.  She's horrible but is also presented as being very clever indeed - I hope the writing doesn't lose her cleverness even as she steps more into the role of antagonist. 

Haven't watched any episodes yet, but I'm glad they went with a weekly release schedule. I find that when I binge-watch episodes over a short period of time, they tend to run together and I easily forget certain details. With a weekly release, the episodes have more time to percolate in my brain... and it also helps foster more discussion amongst the fanbase.

So yeah, bring on more weekly releases. I certainly hope WoT when it comes out is a weekly release.

25 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Haven't watched any episodes yet, but I'm glad they went with a weekly release schedule. I find that when I binge-watch episodes over a short period of time, they tend to run together and I easily forget certain details. With a weekly release, the episodes have more time to percolate in my brain... and it also helps foster more discussion amongst the fanbase.

So yeah, bring on more weekly releases. I certainly hope WoT when it comes out is a weekly release.

The problem with many of these shows is they are usually written as if they are one long movie with many different chapter.

They all roll into one because they often don’t have any self contained theme or beginning middle and end. 

So I don’t mind weekly releases as long as the show is written for that format.

Did I get this right?

Spoiler

Homelander assumes Ryan has super powers.  But we haven't seen any manifestation of that?  His mom evidently has raised him to have discipline and to be good, never telling him has super powers?  Maybe -- if he has powers, they will manifest only in adolescence (franchise season 3)? If he has powers whether now or in the future, he will be one who takes down Homelander?

Speculating potential possibilities, not declaring anything as a probability.

Archived