Joe Abercrombie's A LITTLE HATRED (Book 1 of The Age of Madness trilogy - coming out September 19) - NO SPOILERS

The hairy bear

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I’m always torn on preorders... yeah, I want to support my favorite authors like Joe.  But I also want to support my bricks and mortar store here in town... :dunno: 

And, I want to see if I can grab a copy from Waterstones in Piccadilly a few days before the publication date.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I’m always torn on preorders... yeah, I want to support my favorite authors like Joe.  But I also want to support my bricks and mortar store here in town... :dunno: 

Doesn't your store do pre-orders? I've pre-ordered from my local store before.

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I just remember that I have yet to order this book. IIRC, there was a way to order a special copy from Waterstones I think? Could anyone remind me of the specifics on that one?

Pre-order on the Waterstones website. Don’t know if this is available outside of the UK or not

https://www.waterstones.com/book/a-little-hatred/joe-abercrombie/9781473228849

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Pre-order on the Waterstones website. Don’t know if this is available outside of the UK or not

https://www.waterstones.com/book/a-little-hatred/joe-abercrombie/9781473228849

It is available, although shipping it to my neck of the woods costs an arm and a leg. Still, for a signature and an exclusive short of Abercrombie I'm willing to shell out. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the potential wait :'( 

8 hours ago, Veltigar said:

It is available, although shipping it to my neck of the woods costs an arm and a leg. Still, for a signature and an exclusive short of Abercrombie I'm willing to shell out. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the potential wait :'( 

If you are paying that much, what difference does an extra £9 make for the kindle version. 

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you are paying that much, what difference does an extra £9 make for the kindle version. 

Well, I don't have a kindle and I don't like reading a novel on screen. Especially if I crave the book so much ;) 

On 9/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, Corvinus said:

Nope, not gonna do it. I've resisted so far. Just a week and a half left.

I dont see the point of reading a spoiler chapter. It would be like starting a wank when you know you haven't got time to finish. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I dont see the point of reading a spoiler chapter. It would be like starting a wank when you know you haven't got time to finish. 

I don't read samples either.  I like to binge books and really look for a good block of time to read.  I don't want to read a chapter, wait a week, read another and so on.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:37 AM, The hairy bear said:
  • Mostly takes place in the Union and the North, and so picks up the threads of the first trilogy a little more directly than the standalone books did, as the world (or parts of it, at any rate) moves rapidly forward into the turmoil of early industrialisation.
  • The war between Bayaz and Khalul is sort of the constant undercurrent of this world. But the magic is clearly dropping back in importance. There's a lot less magic in this trilogy than the First Law.

Looking forward to the book, but tbh I was hoping to get more of a look into the rest of the world of the First Law, at Gurkhul and its prophet, and more about the backstory of the rivalry between Bayaz and Khalul, rather than a jump into a future featuring the adult children of characters we already know, mechanization and industrialization and what appears to be an obvious allegory about the real-life European migrant situation.

Hopefully by the third book in the series we won't be reading about Bayaz manuevering to have Jordan dan Glokta appointed director of Adua's space agency so he can beat Khalul in the race to put a man on the moon while Liam dan Luthar comes up with the "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" ad campaign.

I'll read it, though - Abercrombie is a good writer, and he knows how to finish up a story.

1 hour ago, BoldAsYouPlease said:

Looking forward to the book, but tbh I was hoping to get more of a look into the rest of the world of the First Law, at Gurkhul and its prophet, and more about the backstory of the rivalry between Bayaz and Khalul, rather than a jump into a future featuring the adult children of characters we already know, mechanization and industrialization and what appears to be an obvious allegory about the real-life European migrant situation.

Hopefully by the third book in the series we won't be reading about Bayaz manuevering to have Jordan dan Glokta appointed director of Adua's space agency so he can beat Khalul in the race to put a man on the moon while Liam dan Luthar comes up with the "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" ad campaign.

I'll read it, though - Abercrombie is a good writer, and he knows how to finish up a story.

Liam dan Luthar is DB Cooper.  It is known.

Archived