US Politics. Trump Crossing the Dnieper. Alea Iacta Est.

A Horse Named Stranger

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

The workers are asking to keep their current responsibility towards covering their premiums at 3% instead of the 15% proposed by GM in the proposed new contract.

A story on one of the sites I read this morning says that more and more employers and employees are finding the insurance premiums way too much to afford.

So much for medical care access being pegged to employment.

Also, another story on another site covers a physician -- the only physician covering 11,000 patients out there in the middle of the West.  No hospital either.  He has to drive constantly.

14 hours ago, The Mance said:

So one niggling thing about the whole Ukraine development is trump repeatedly describing his call with Zelensky as "perfect". Like I get that he has an odd way of mangling idiom, and otherwise tortures the english language in the the most cringeworthy ways. But, "perfect," in the context of a phone call? It just doesn't fit....unless....

All I can imagine is a team of legal linguists painstakingly coaching trump on how exactly to conduct his talk with Zelensky:

"No mr president, you can't say it like that"
"I'm sorry sir, that's illegal too"
"Uhhh, no. Just.....no"

Until finally he gets it! The wording that is just weaselly enough to buy what they all figured would be an acceptable amount of deniability for Barr and McConnell and Trump's base if not the entire GOP establishment to cover his ass if anybody ever found out.

"Yes Mr President, that's perfect. Say it just like that"

And he did! He said it perfect! Just like those annoying, pencil-necked, nerds told him to say it! Perfect! The phone call was "perfect"!

This is a fun scenario, but I think it's just that Trump believes every phone call he's ever made is perfect, just like everything he's ever done is perfect. 

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

In the event that you get an argument from a Trumper that the regulations were changed just days before the whistleblower filed his claim, changing the requirement for first-hand knowledge, tell them that's a lie being pushed by the right-wing press.

The statute does not require first-hand knowledge. The previous form asked whether the whistleblower has first-hand knowledge. That question should never have been on the form because the statute does not require first-hand knowledge, and it was recently removed from the form. No regulation or statute was changed. Use common sense - how could that be removed under a Trump administration? One assumes that the Republicans would fully support second-hand knowledge to be used when a complaint would be against a Democrat.

https://www.mediamatters.org/federalist/false-report-federalist-about-whistleblower-complaints-fuels-trump-defenders-impeachment

Indeed, Linda Tripp did not have first-hand knowledge when she kicked off l'affaire Lewinsky. The Republican Party has no standards and no shame.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

In the event that you get an argument from a Trumper that the regulations were changed just days before the whistleblower filed his claim, changing the requirement for first-hand knowledge, tell them that's a lie being pushed by the right-wing press.

The statute does not require first-hand knowledge. The previous form asked whether the whistleblower has first-hand knowledge. That question should never have been on the form because the statute does not require first-hand knowledge, and it was recently removed from the form. No regulation or statute was changed. Use common sense - how could that be removed under a Trump administration? One assumes that the Republicans would fully support second-hand knowledge to be used when a complaint would be against a Democrat.

https://www.mediamatters.org/federalist/false-report-federalist-about-whistleblower-complaints-fuels-trump-defenders-impeachment

That's a nice thought, except Trumpers won't believe that the right wing press ever lies.

If he orders a member of Congress arrested, it’s over.  I think the Senate would vote to remove.

these are the facts of lewis' it can't happen here, no? party thugs take congress and the judiciary into protective custody, no?

As defined by the Constitution nothing Schiff has done comes remotely near treason. 

he probably thinks that treason arises out of a personal oath such as--

The oath whereby I reaffirm from this day forth, being of sound mind and with no evil intent from my part to his, I am a faithful subject of our lord and most pious emperor, Charles, son of King Pippin and Queen Berthana, for the honor of his kingdom, as a man ought lawfully to be towards his lord; so help me God, and these relics of the saints here situated, for all the days of my life with all my will and with what intelligence God has given me, I will so attend and consent.

of perhaps--

I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to the leader of the German Reich and people,
Adolf Hitler, to observe the law, and to conscientiously fulfill my official duties, so help me God.

5 minutes ago, sologdin said:

If he orders a member of Congress arrested, it’s over.  I think the Senate would vote to remove.

these are the facts of lewis' it can't happen here, no? party thugs take congress and the judiciary into protective custody, no?

We're putting the (traitoris) Adam "Shiff" into PROTECTIVE costody! NOT ARRESTED! Dont' beLIEve FAKE NEWS dems. Must determine if Schiff is "against" great American relations with Ukraine and my (perfect!) call!

11 minutes ago, sologdin said:

As defined by the Constitution nothing Schiff has done comes remotely near treason. 

he probably thinks that treason arises out of a personal oath such as--

of perhaps--

I suspect that Trump was looking for the word sedition rather than treason, but did not quite understand the difference.

1 minute ago, maarsen said:

I suspect that Trump was looking for the word sedition rather than treason, but did not quite understand the difference.

Come now. Trump has a Jewish son in law, he knows perfectly well that sedition is a dinner that Jews have on one of their holidays.

Former republican congressman Flake weighs in with a warning and plea for current republican congressmen.  Wasn't Flake one of the relatively sane GOP congressmen?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/opinions-jeff-flake-fellow-republicans-theres-still-time-to-save-your-souls/ar-AAI3XQ5?ocid=msnclassic

And then there be this opinion piece from FOX news, which I suspect might be related somehow to internal fighting on that network.  Basically, a straight out call for impeachment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/mary-anne-marsh-impeachment-inquiry-so-far-–-trumps-days-are-numbered-and-never-underestimate-pelosi/ar-AAI3gTA?ocid=msnclassic

7 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Former republican congressman Flake weighs in with a warning and plea for current republican congressmen.  Wasn't Flake one of the relatively sane GOP congressmen?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/opinions-jeff-flake-fellow-republicans-theres-still-time-to-save-your-souls/ar-AAI3XQ5?ocid=msnclassic

And then there be this opinion piece from FOX news, which I suspect might be related somehow to internal fighting on that network.  Basically, a straight out call for impeachment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/mary-anne-marsh-impeachment-inquiry-so-far-–-trumps-days-are-numbered-and-never-underestimate-pelosi/ar-AAI3gTA?ocid=msnclassic

What needs to happen now is the revelation of further bad facts.  And this counts: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/us/politics/trump-australia-barr-mueller.html

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Just what I came to post! Apparently Barr asked Trump to put forward the suggestion to the Australian prime minister. 

Bill Barr once said that he didn't believe in the Homeric ideal of legacy.  He's wrong and he will go down together with John Mitchell as the worst attorney general in US history.  An exemplar of how not to do it. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

lol

I've been wrong before.  If I'm wrong on this one I don't think it will be at all funny.  :lolsob: would be more appropriate. 

One, I hope Trump isn't so foolish to arrest a member of Congress.  Two, if he is that foolish I hope I'm right about Congress.  

Already mentioned by others, but it seems Trump called the Australian PM to get dirt on Mueller. Might as well post the link, anyhow:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-pressed-australian-leader-to-help-barr-investigate-mueller-inquiry-s-origins/ar-AAI4KVh?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR0SvMV9AsBsW9rd6VNYbXT3X3B0CdGC1T6YnhRtQGSwOKdCPvrinujj_j4

Don't know if Trump attempted anything impeachable, though.

Just now, ThinkerX said:

Already mentioned by others, but it seems Trump called the Australian PM to get dirt on Mueller. Might as well post the link, anyhow:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-pressed-australian-leader-to-help-barr-investigate-mueller-inquiry-s-origins/ar-AAI4KVh?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR0SvMV9AsBsW9rd6VNYbXT3X3B0CdGC1T6YnhRtQGSwOKdCPvrinujj_j4

Don't know if Trump attempted anything impeachable, though.

Here's the point.  Anything is "impeachable" because impeachment is a political not a legal action.  There is no limit on the House of Representative's power to Impeach beyond the Senate's willingness to vote to remove the sitting President from office.

Archived