Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 3 (Includes A Little Hatred Spoiler discussion)

Rhom

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

There's a lot of them though, right? I thought that was the case anyway. How short are the stories? Are we talking like 20-30 pages on average, or like 4-5 pages?

Check out the first page of this thread and it has a list of all the stories in chronological order.  They are the ones in italics.

And I just checked, the book itself is 287 pages.

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It varies.  I think there's like a dozen or so stories in Sharp Ends, and the book is like 300 pages.  I'm sure you could look it up if you're interested. 

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Check out the first page of this thread and it has a list of all the stories in chronological order.  They are the ones in italics.

And I just checked, the book itself is 287 pages.

It looks like it's actually 12 stories and 287 pages.  If only my random guesses were always so good! 

8 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Don't have a hard copy of Sharp Ends but the audiobook is awesome.  

Expect nothing less from Pacey. This is the only series where i have both audiobooks and text. 

And I preordered my Waterstones copy! It costs more and it will take longer, but a signed copy with an exclusive short story is just way too good to pass up on.

Just finished The Heroes (which means I still have Red Country and the new ongoing trilogy to read), and I tend to agree with the opinion of some that not only is it an awesome book, but even if previous books were good or great, this is the best I've yet read from Abercrombie. The various insights into people's relationships to war and violence are really good. Reading some of the conversations between Union army officers (and troopers), I also have the feeling Joe modelled the Union army on the British Army of the 19th century (basically until WWI): you fight for king and country, you apply principles, you don't try to think much outside the box, you follow discipline even if it sends you in front of machine guns (or raging Northmen), and other features which guarantee a number of unnecessary casualties.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Glad I get the UK version. That is...well I’ve seen worse but it isn’t great

Matches the ALH cover. :dunno: 

Yeah, the UK covers are way cooler.

It's interesting how in the UK the pass from the Union's sun to Stour's wolf, while in the US they go from Stour's wolf to Leo's Lion. I wonder who's banner/item they plan to depict in the third entry.

I finished my re-read of the trilogy. They remain fun reads, and since it had been over 10 years I didn't remember everything that happened either. Next up, Best Served Cold.

One thing that bugged me though, was it ever explained why Bayaz wanted Jezel on the throne? I understand the purpose of having a back-up. But why bother going through all of that instead of just letting Raynault inherit and be the next in a long line of puppet kings? It seemed like quite a lot of effort and I'm not sure what the benefit was.

Another thing I was wondering about was, where did Caurib come from? She seemed to know real magic, but not have any association with any of the Magi, which as far I know makes her rather unique. And since she was killed near the end of Last Argument of Kings, it doesn't seem like any answers are forthcoming.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

I finished my re-read of the trilogy. They remain fun reads, and since it had been over 10 years I didn't remember everything that happened either. Next up, Best Served Cold.

One thing that bugged me though, was it ever explained why Bayaz wanted Jezel on the throne? I understand the purpose of having a back-up. But why bother going through all of that instead of just letting Raynault inherit and be the next in a long line of puppet kings? It seemed like quite a lot of effort and I'm not sure what the benefit was.

Another thing I was wondering about was, where did Caurib come from? She seemed to know real magic, but not have any association with any of the Magi, which as far I know makes her rather unique. And since she was killed near the end of Last Argument of Kings, it doesn't seem like any answers are forthcoming.

Bayaz wanted Jezel on the throne because he wanted a new start. Someone with no allegiances. Jezel was a nobody. He wasn't a rapist/fop like Ladlisar and generally was a blank slate. All people knew about him was the fact he won the contest, did some heroic things in the west, and solved a rebellion peacefully.  

Archived