Football: foreVAR confused

Iskaral Pust

Don't know what Solskjaer has to do to get sacked. He makes Moyes look like a tactical genius. Even meltdown Mourinho was better than this. Ah well, it's only Spurs and City up next. Maybe when we're in the bottom six, the clowns running the club will finally realise that you can never get anywhere with manager whose level is League One. 

13 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Probably the end for Silva.

Won't happen until there is a plan for his succession, methinks. 

The Allardici years (well, it felt like it anyway) should loom large whenever "sacking without a clear plan" suddenly becomes an option.

18 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

At this point i couldn't say which team is worse, Arsenal or United! :P

Was thinking about this and idk on paper it’s pretty close. Arsenal have the better attack and United the better defense. Both midfields are pretty average. 

I don't worry about Liverpool losing many games, but I do stress about draws. It's what did us in the last two season. Way too many draws. Based on recent performances, there is definitely a few draws in this team at the moment. So far we've managed to escape with some luck. Not sure how long it will hold....

edit: On the bright side, the performances have been relatively average. So the only way is up!

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Was thinking about this and idk on paper it’s pretty close. Arsenal have the better attack and United the better defense. Both midfields are pretty average. 

I'd say United are worse than Arsenal atm. Our midfield has certainly been worse in the last couple of games due to injuries with Fred being the only fit midfielder to call upon. Pereira is a bang average player even in his preferred position so having to shoehorn him in a double pivot led to Fred being basically man alone in the midfield which left us wide open against both Sheffield United and Villa - we were lucky to escape with draws in both those games. 

4 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I don't worry about Liverpool losing many games, but I do stress about draws. It's what did us in the last two season. Way too many draws. Based on recent performances, there is definitely a few draws in this team at the moment. So far we've managed to escape with some luck. Not sure how long it will hold....

edit: On the bright side, the performances have been relatively average. So the only way is up!

You'd need a team in pursuit that is just winning their games however. Last season you had City that went on a winning spree. THey are still the most capable team to win 20 games in a row, however they don't look like doing it again this year. Just a small reminder, of how promising Liverpool's position actually looks right now. Leicester will eventually drop points, unless you are worried that Brendan Rogers will win the league with Leicester. As amusing as this idea might ne for our resident United fans, that is pretty unlikely to happen (if it does, Liverpool should just give up on ever winning the EPL again).

Anyway, back to the more credible threat to Liverpool. Last season City was on first place with 38 points (43:6 goals) after 14 games (fun fact United and Everton were on 5th and 6th place with 22 points). This year City are on 24 points (39:16 goals).

Yes, Liverpool have obviously not clinched the league title in December, but things look incredibly promising for them this season. You don't have to play well, you just having to win games, and Liverpool are doing just that. You know the smart horse doesn't jump any higher than it has to.

Edit: Transfer rumour.

Sancho wants to leave Dortmund in January, with Liverpool as frontrunners to sign him. Make of that what you will.

20 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Sancho wants to leave Dortmund in January, with Liverpool as frontrunners to sign him. Make of that what you will.

I can't see it. Liverpool should have a decent amount of money to spend next year having made no big signings in the summer but Dormund are going to want an absolute boatload of cash for him and there'll be enough clubs interested that there should be a bidding war. I don't think Liverpool are going to be willing to spend the kind of money required to win, it's not going to be like with Van Dijk were nobody else is quite sure whether he's worth the money.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Sancho to Liverpool would make no damn sense- who's he replacing, Mane or Salah?

It makes sense from Liverpool's point of view. They could really do with a genuine rotation option for the front 3 and long term the similar age profile of Mane, Salah and Firmino is a bit of a concern, bringing in Sancho would solve those problems.

It's a bit more of a question mark from Sancho's perspective. On the plus side he'd be playing for one of the stronger teams in Europe and well placed to win some trophies over the next couple of seasons, especially if he came in January (admittedly that almost certainly isn't happening), most players seems to want to play for Klopp and it'll probably be good for his brand. On the downside, yeah, he wouldn't be clear cut first choice.

I think if Sancho doesn't fancy his chances of displacing, say, Mane, then he doesn't have the ambition or belief to be a top ranked player.

The bigger problem, as ljkeane points out, is money. Liverpool are doing better these days but they don't have the resources of either Manchester club. City or United could pay over £100m for Sancho and pay him £300K a week and if it doesn't work out, they'd move on. For Liverpool, well, they could probably do it but they could not afford for it to be a mistake.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Sancho to Liverpool would make no damn sense- who's he replacing, Mane or Salah?
We're not in a position to catch his fancy, sadly, though we should still give it a go and offer an absurd wad of cash because he's a player we desperately need.

It shouldn't be a problem though. Afterall, City have Sterling, Sane, B. Silva and Mahrez for the wings. I think Chelsea could also be a possible destination as well should they make CL qualification. One or both of Willian and Pedro will be offloaded. 

Unfortunately for us, if Sancho has any ambition, he will/should not consider a move to United no matter how much money is thrown at him as it would be a bad career move. The club is so rotten that nearly every single player ends up regressing. 

I doubt a January transfer will come into play. I've seen some reports (not sure about reliability) saying that Dortmund want more for Sancho than Dembele - £130m or more. Really, the only club desperate enough to pay that in January would be United and it's extremely unlikely that Sancho would consider a move to us. 

Our front three isnt getting younger and Origi/Shaq aren’t exactly best team in the world level of attacking depth. Buttt yeah 130m for a player who would not start every game is absurd. Can’t see it happening. 

Messi wins his 6th Balondor. Fanboy in me is a little upset cause VVD was much more deserving than Modric last year. But Messi easily deserved it

Messi was class last season but I think VVD deserved to win it. I tend to agree with Gerrard's recent comment: 

"I'm Messi's number one fan, but Messi doesn't deserve to win the Ballon d'Or this year. If you talk about consistency from one player over a year, who wins the European Cup and is absolutely faultless in every performance, that means Vigirl van Dijk."

Archived