The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Why do people stay in California where the cost of living is double other parts of the country?  Why do people stay in dying coal towns in Appalachia when there are jobs to be had elsewhere?

People live where they live. :dunno: 

I covered that in my post, I accept that they'd stay there - its why they would go there in the first place that doesnt make sense.

I'd also have zero issues accepting it if all the fertile planets other than coruscant had a population larger than Australia. Its because those planets are so empty that it makes the moisture farmers on Tatooine look so weird

54 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I covered that in my post, I accept that they'd stay there - its why they would go there in the first place that doesnt make sense.

Mining? Running away from the authorities on more pleasant planets? Penal colonies? Strategically important location? Crash landing? And the original reason for colonising any given planet could be thousands of years in the past and long forgotten.

I remember when playing the The old Republic MMO that when talking to archeologists on Tatooine that according to Tusken myths Tatooine was once a lush green planet that had undergone drastic climate change, destroying their civilization. And in that game Tatooine attracts various mining companies that establish villages and starports, only to go bancrupt soon after, leaving the people there to fend for themselves. I thought that always to be a pretty sensible backstory for the planet.

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

Honestly one of the biggest "this makes no sense" things about the SW Galaxy is why there are so many people trying to live on planets like Tatooine, Jakku and ice planets similar to Hoth when there are so many fertile planets with negligible population density. You can argue it from a "they're stuck on the planet with no way to go somewhere better" but why would they go there in the first place?

Because it's Star Wars so I shrug and go with it. But if I were picking nits that would be a big one.

Nobody lives on Hoth. Only desperate rebels trying to hide establish bases there.

And nobody but criminals and outlaws go to places like Tatooine. And criminals seem to fuck like everybody else - Cliegg Lars is a Tatooinian by birth, but his ancestors may not have gone there because they liked the place. Just as the many slaves the Hutts controlling the place (Shmi Skywalker) were dragged there.

9 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I agree with you. I made some major life decisions choosing not to live in places I couldnt handle, and I lost a lot in each case.

Specific to Star Wars movies, they definitely show hostile environment planets far more than say a simple luscious temperate idyllic planet of happy Star Warsians. Deserts and violent ocean worlds are just way cooler.

What's, in my opinion, nonsense, is that there are only wilderness planets. Star Wars is supposed to portray a Galactic Republic/Empire - which is worse pretty much nothing if the only planets we see are part of neither political institution, lacking any sort of political cohesion or system of their own.

Sure, there can and should be lawless planets on the fringe of society, but not only those. Which is again what we see in 'The Mandalorian'. A bounty hunter can and should also take jobs on more developed planets.

On 12/30/2019 at 2:47 PM, Lord Varys said:

Yeah, that way it could make more sense. But I'm not sure if they would be able to conclude it was about fifty years old if it had been frozen part of the time.

They knew he was 50 from his "chain code" whatever that is. I'm guessing some kinda space-social security number. They only had the last four digits which indicated his age. 

6 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Nobody lives on Hoth. Only desperate rebels trying to hide establish bases there.

Hey, Wampas are people too! So what if he wanted to eat Luke. So did the Ewoks. 

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

They knew he was 50 from his "chain code" whatever that is. I'm guessing some kinda space-social security number. They only had the last four digits which indicated his age. 

Well, okay, whatever. I'm only starting to assume he was kept in stasis or frozen in carbonite when they establish this. As I said somewhere when talking this Star Wars mess (Palpatine's return) - we should not do their fucking work for them. A movie/fictional work has to explain things and how their work, not fan theories or supplementary works (even if one enjoys those). Really great movies stand on their own and do have meaning of their own.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hey, Wampas are people too! So what if he wanted to eat Luke. So did the Ewoks. 

Well, I'd not consider them intelligent creatures. Although my brother (who I gave 'Wampa' as nickname many years ago) might disagree with that assessment.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:36 PM, Lord Varys said:

Well, I'd not consider them intelligent creatures. Although my brother (who I gave 'Wampa' as nickname many years ago) might disagree with that assessment.

Having just rewatched tESB I actually had thought the way they attached luke to the ceiling with melted ice refrozen seems pretty involved for an unintelligent creature. Yeah you get spiders setting up snacks for later but that's using their own excretions, the Wampa is at least possibly showing signs of intelligence. Embedding your preys weapon in the ice is also a good idea, but maybe doing it near the prey is not so smart - but its picked through his belongings to even identify what isn't part of him.

On 12/31/2019 at 11:37 AM, Toth said:

I remember when playing the The old Republic MMO that when talking to archeologists on Tatooine that according to Tusken myths Tatooine was once a lush green planet that had undergone drastic climate change, destroying their civilization.

That was from the original KotOR, which has the same backstory.

Watched the whole show in one go, which I think is the best way to digest it. Although it's fairly highly serialised, it does rely a lot on small details so watching the whole thing at once made it feel more coherent. Overall, excellent. A stripped-back, minimalist approach was a really interesting and counter-intuitive way to go, but they made it work quite well. They achieved the goal of making it feel like Star Wars on a TV budget, even if they had to invent whole new technology to do it: Favreau's 3D environment tech was amazing, and made the "virtual backdrops" approach feel much more realistic than in any previous TV show or film.

It worshipped at the altar of Kurosawa maybe a little too much (as well as Leone) but going back to the source material that inspired Lucas is never a bad idea. The music was excellent, and unusual for Star Wars, and the more stripped back approach to characterisation was refreshing.

Lore-wise I was expecting something far worse than what we got. But they make it clear that the "never take your helmet off" thing was specific to the post-fall of Mandalore Tribe, not all Mandalorians everywhere. I strongly suspect this and how the Darksabre ended up with Moff Gideon will be explained more fully in Clone Wars Season 7, due in a few months where the Siege of Mandalore is a major story point, but it's not really necessary as we can fill in the blanks.

The "hardly anyone has heard of the Force or Jedi" is a lore point I go back and forth on. As mentioned earlier, at the very height of the Jedi Order there was still like only one Jedi per forty million stars. Even dividing that down (as not all stars have habitable planets), that's still an astronomically tiny number of them, so the chances of anyone at all having met a Jedi would be vanishingly small, so them being legends and rumours makes sense. As a lore point by itself that seems reasonable and in keeping with Han Solo's attitude to the Jedi in ANH. However, it seems out of keeping with how the Jedi are presented in other parts of the franchise, where they are much more commonly known (Watto, on a backwater nowhere planet, even knowing specifically about the Jedi mind tricks in TPH). Given the Jedi's involvement with Mandalore in The Clone Wars, and especially given that Mando is presumably there as a child for the final battles of the Clone Wars, it does feel unlikely that he would have never heard of them before.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I strongly suspect this and how the Darksabre ended up with Moff Gideon will be explained more fully in Clone Wars Season 7, due in a few months where the Siege of Mandalore is a major story point, but it's not really necessary as we can fill in the blanks.

Almost positive Clone Wars is doing the just before Episode III starts Siege of Mandalore where

Anakin gives Ahsoka back her lightsabers and she and Rex take down Maul (who somehow escaped the emperor and returned to Mandalore) a few minutes before order 66 ruins everything. 

The Darksaber turned up in Rebels years after that, and Gideon presumably got it in "the purge" when the Empire got mad that Bo Katan (the last person we know had the sword) led a rebellion.

51 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Almost positive Clone Wars is doing the just before Episode III starts Siege of Mandalore where

Hide contents

Anakin gives Ahsoka back her lightsabers and she and Rex take down Maul (who somehow escaped the emperor and returned to Mandalore) a few minutes before order 66 ruins everything. 

The Darksaber turned up in Rebels years after that, and Gideon presumably got it in "the purge" when the Empire got mad that Bo Katan (the last person we kn0w had the sword) led a rebellion.

Indeed, I suspect that we'll get more fleshed out flashbacks on the darksaber in season 2 of The Mandalorian, and nothing in the new Clone Wars, since Rebels clearly shows how it goes from Maul to Bo Katan.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

whoops never mind, seems this is right. could have sworn this was used in movies before. 

Favreau developed a prototype of the technology for The Jungle Book and The Lion King, but the new-generation version and the one Favreau has built his entire new company around debuted in The Mandalorian. As far as I can tell Favreau is doing for digital environments what Serkis has done for motion capture and digital performance.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Favreau developed a prototype of the technology for The Jungle Book and The Lion King, but the new-generation version and the one Favreau has built his entire new company around debuted in The Mandalorian. As far as I can tell Favreau is doing for digital environments what Serkis has done for motion capture and digital performance.

Wait a minute... what is this?  I hadn’t heard anything about it.  What do I need to look up to learn more?

13 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Wait a minute... what is this?  I hadn’t heard anything about it.  What do I need to look up to learn more?

I've never heard a name for it. My understanding is that the director can see some version of the CGI backgrounds and characters in real time while filming. The Avatar sequels are using something similar. 

In The Lion King, we built a tool set, basically a "multiplayer VR filmmaking game," using the Unity game engine. We built a bunch of tools working with [lead VFX house] MPC and [tech developer] Magnopus and Unity, and we developed a way by which you could actually create environments and set up cameras and shots within VR. In The Mandalorian, we used a lot of the same tools to plan the entire production, working with the Unreal engine [from Epic Games]. But Lion King was a much different production because there was no actual photography. For Mandalorian, we take that cut, and instead of going right to animation and render like we did on Lion King, we build sets and a digital environment that we project onto a video wall. We partnered with Unreal and [VFX house] ILM and put together this system for The Mandalorian. All the people that we worked with then took that technology, and they're doing their versions of it. They're all slightly different, but basically we did research and development for The Mandalorian, and now everybody is building on the innovation that we collectively did and making that available to other people who might be curious about this process as well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/why-jon-favreau-chose-baby-yoda-we-dont-know-a-lot-details-his-species-1259164

According to Favreau, the first season was filmed on a large soundstage with a 360-degree video wall at Manhattan Beach Studios, supplemented by limited location shooting around Southern California.[59] The show sent camera crews to shoot distant locations like Iceland and Chile, the resulting digital assets were integrated into virtual sets built with the Unreal game engine from Epic Games, and those sets were displayed on the video wall.[59] In Favreau's words: "So, there is real photography being incorporated, but the actors aren't brought on location. The location is brought to the actors."[59]

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

The Darksaber turned up in Rebels years after that, and Gideon presumably got it in "the purge" when the Empire got mad that Bo Katan (the last person we know had the sword) led a rebellion.

Some further spoilers from the Ahsoka novel

Spoiler

We'll presumably get to see her spring the trap on Maul only to have to get away when Order 66 is issued and let him escape. We'll also get to see Rex not be part of Order 66 and be the reason she survives (if I'm remembering the novel right) which is going to be super emotional. Rex is great.

Archived