Football: What Football?

polishgenius

7 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

In Norway, it seems the broadcaster with the PL rights is considering showing the Faroe Island top league. 

I don't think you can get more desperate for football if you tried.

They might as well film me doing keepy ups in my garden with balled up socks. 

20 hours ago, Raja said:

lmaoooo - there's a twitch stream actually showing the game

The network broadcasting Premier League in Serbia (and in the region) has been broadcasting Belarus football for weeks now.

I'm still nowhere near that desperate, though.

3 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52439018

Seems footballers are essential workers in the UK now.

The thing is, as dumb as it is, if they can safely put it on football probably would be a help to easing pressure from the public to lift the lockdown, since having football on would suddenly make people a lot more willing to stay in. Of course it would need careful work not just on the football side but to ensure fans don't do stupid things like gather near the stadium.

At this point I’m hoping we do finish the PL in a concentrated period, say six games for each team over 3-4 weeks in the summer with games staggered throughout the week for broadcast.  It would be like a World Cup tournament.  The CL, EL and survival spots would all be up for grabs, and players would be fit and fresh instead of the usual late season injury pile-up, and games would be played in sunshine.

It would be weird with silent stadiums though.  I have a feeling that goal celebrations by the players would be more muted without fans roaring their approval.

You'd still be 3 to 4 games (City, Sheffield, Arsenal, Villa) per team short.

You'd need to find room for 10 games. The Villa extra game is particularly important, if you look at the relegation zone. Not even bothering with Cup games (domestic or European, simply not happening).

Unless you have the crazy idea, to play out the season in 6 mini matches, while scratching the past 28-29 matches. So basically, Liverpool starting with no bonus points to squander, and Norwich not being 6 points (+ goal difference) adrift. If you want to play out the season, you have to play out the season, in its entirety. And you kinda have to do it rather quickly, before the contract situations become a real pain.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You'd still be 3 to 4 games (City, Sheffield, Arsenal, Villa) per team short.

You'd need to find room for 10 games. The Villa extra game is particularly important, if you look at the relegation zone. Not even bothering with Cup games (domestic or European, simply not happening).

Unless you have the crazy idea, to play out the season in 6 mini matches, while scratching the past 28-29 matches. So basically, Liverpool starting with no bonus points to squander, and Norwich not being 6 points (+ goal difference) adrift. If you want to play out the season, you have to play out the season, in its entirety. And you kinda have to do it rather quickly, before the contract situations become a real pain.

I forgot it was as much 9-10 games remaining.  You could still try to do that, but it would need a five week format instead.

Yep, and the window for that is closing rapidly.

I still regard the 30th of June as the absolute final day to finish the football seasons. Anything beyond that is gonna be such a mess with the contract situations.

So now you can do the math. Clubs would probably need about two weeks to be readyish to go. And they simply have to pray real hard no player catches covid.

That's btw. also one of the big flaws in the Bundesliga concept. What will clubs do, if a player tests positive. I'll leave the answer in the spoiler. So you can first try to come up with your solutions, and then see, whose version is more responsible

Spoiler

Apparently the idea is: If a player tests positive, he gets isolated. Name of the player won't be disclosed. Note, the player gets isolated, not the rest of the team.

Also update from the Ligue Un.

Final placements allocated based on a point per game system.

So PSG champions

Toulouse and Amiens relegated. I am somewhat curious how they will deal with relegation/promotion play-off spot - Nimes. (at least I think that's a play-off spot).

I can't imagine there would be a problem with short term contracts for players like Dave Silva if the need arose. Sign them up for an extra month or two until the season's done.

It'll be interesting to see what the leagues who've finished do in August - I doubt things will be magically better by then, so are they going to cancel next season too?

What about the players that are under contract elsewhere starting the first of July?

Crazy idea, but what if the players, whose contracts have run out decide to say: Nah, not putting my health at risk over this, and just don't sign the short term extensions. This is not the Godfather where Luca Brasi's putting a gun behind their ears and assuring them it's either their signature, or their brains.

Like I said, this gonna be real mess if this drags out too long.

The 2 games a week schedule will be cruel enough for the clubs with a small squad, who don't have City's depth.

Well, I guess the United fans can place bets on how many games Bruno will play, before he is run into the ground. 

Archived