Football: What Football?

polishgenius

14 hours ago, lacuna said:

Bergkamp and César both played for Inter. :)

14 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Bergkamp and Eriksen both played for Ajax too.

Well, that makes it obvious who to change. Now if Arsenal didn’t sell every freaking good player to a better club....

I’m tempted to put Cahill in instead and say screw it if he isn’t as good, he’s the second best Australian (Kewel would actually be a very good replacement positionally and is Australia’s best player, but he played at Liverpool and Galatasaray). 

12 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

So, looking at various peoples suggestions I think that the best team defo has Maldini and Messi. Other than that, everyone else I can see either a reasonable argument that someone else is better, or they tie up too many other clubs. 

Unfortunately I never saw (or don’t remember) Maldini. 

Ok, take two.  I decided I'd get my favourite Australian player in, which meant a bit of a switch.  But thinking about Arsenal, I realised that they do have a player I can put into the full back positions that didn't play for any other major team and was very good.  But putting Kewell on the left means a lot of re-jigging.  

Júlio César  
Lauren Terry Kompany Lahm
Nani Eriksen Zidane Kewel
  Totti Messi  

On 4/16/2020 at 8:47 AM, BigFatCoward said:

I just tried to do a newcastle team based on one player per country and it was fucking shit. 

Not really a Newcastle fan. But I'd take a guess what half your team looked like

Given (GK, Ireland), Albert (CB, Belgium), Hamann (CM, Germany), Gascoigne (Midfield, England), Ginola (Winger, France), Gillespie (W, NI), Asprilla (FW, Colombia), Tomasson (FW, Denmark).

Ok, you got Albert past his prime, and Asprilla was not anywhere near as good as he was at Parma. But going by talent they are sound picks, Tomasson on the other hand, payed for you at the beginning of his career. So that cancels each other out, right?

You can probably switch out given for Dubravka (GK, Slovakia) for a better Irish outfield player. It's really not that bad.

32 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not really a Newcastle fan. But I'd take a guess what half your team looked like

Given (GK, Ireland), Albert (CB, Belgium), Hamann (CM, Germany), Gascoigne (Midfield, England), Ginola (Winger, France), Gillespie (W, NI), Asprilla (FW, Colombia), Tomasson (FW, Denmark).

Ok, you got Albert past his prime, and Asprilla was not anywhere near as good as he was at Parma. But going by talent they are sound picks, Tomasson on the other hand, payed for you at the beginning of his career. So that cancels each other out, right?

You can probably switch out given for Dubravka (GK, Slovakia) for a better Irish outfield player. It's really not that bad.

Thats pretty much where i got, except I didn't have Tomasson, like you said he was not great for us. Would probably throw big Dunc in. And I might swap Gazza out as again, he was not at his best for us (I'd have Beardsley who is my all time favourite player, shame he's a massive racist). 

Mirandinha and Solano get consideration as it's nice to have a bit of south American flair, and maybe Ketsbaia for his goal celebration. 

Gary Speed, was ok for us but much better at Leeds. I might have to have Pistone at left back and he was terrible. 

Given comes out and Krul comes in. I can then have Steve Carr at right back. Colochini is my other centre half. And pistone comes out for Enrique. 

Krul

Carr

Enrique

Colo 

Albert

Solano

Speed

Tiote

Ginola

Beardsley

Ferguson

Bench Hamman, Mirandinha, Ketsbaia, Gillespie, Dubrovka, Cisse, Dabizas, Tino. 

5 hours ago, ants said:

Ok, take two.  I decided I'd get my favourite Australian player in, which meant a bit of a switch.  But thinking about Arsenal, I realised that they do have a player I can put into the full back positions that didn't play for any other major team and was very good.  But putting Kewell on the left means a lot of re-jigging.  

Júlio César  
  Totti Messi  

Don't forget that Eriksen currently plays for Inter so still clashes with Julio Cesar. Swapping him out for Oblak should do the trick. 

20 hours ago, ants said:

Júlio César  
  Totti Messi  

Julio Cesar is an odd pick.  Not the best Brazilian available, not the best keeper available, and not even the best Brazilian keeper available. 

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Julio Cesar is an odd pick.  Not the best Brazilian available, not the best keeper available, and not even the best Brazilian keeper available. 

Ederson and  Allison would run into trouble. Allison certainly clashes with Totti, Ederson with Kompany.

Dída .. are there any of those players who have played for Milan? I'd certainly go Dída over Júlio César. Though, I'd go the latter over Taffarel.

38 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Ederson and  Allison would run into trouble. Allison certainly clashes with Totti, Ederson with Kompany.

Dída .. are there any of those players who have played for Milan? I'd certainly go Dída over Júlio César. Though, I'd go the latter over Taffarel.

I probably just wouldn't go with a Brazilian 'keeper. It just hasn't been a historically strong position for Brazil. Allison's probably the only one with any sort of reasonable argument for being in contention for the top goalkeeper at any point in his career in my lifetime and, like you said, he clashes with a lot of players.

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I probably just wouldn't go with a Brazilian 'keeper. It just hasn't been a historically strong position for Brazil. Allison's probably the only one with any sort of reasonable argument for being in contention for the top goalkeeper at any point in his career in my lifetime and, like you said, he clashes with a lot of players.

Yeah, that was never an issue for me either (Big Nev is a shoo-in every day of the week), but if the premise was that keeper spot, and he needed a Brazilian.. 

What has surprised me somewhat is how few Brazilians are stand-out to such a degree that you'd try to build a team around them. I guess OR Ronaldo could have been one, but 1) his career was curtailed by his injuries and 2) did he ever move around a lot!

3 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

What has surprised me somewhat is how few Brazilians are stand-out to such a degree that you'd try to build a team around them. I guess OR Ronaldo could have been one, but 1) his career was curtailed by his injuries and 2) did he ever move around a lot!

The problem is most of the really standout Brazilian players have played for Barcelona (Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldihno, Neymer) and you're going to pick Messi ahead of them. Cafu's the other one who I thought of but you're probably going with a few Milan players ahead of him.

4 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Taffarel wouldn't even work for his team anyway.

Both him and Kewell played for Gala.

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Taffarel wouldn't even work for his team anyway.

Both him and Kewell played for Gala.

Point. 

Can't remember much of Kewell outside of Leeds and Liverpool, didn't know he played in Turkey.

3 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Btw, as far as Brazilians go, I thought of Lúcio. But that bastard had the nerve to play for Milan as well. 

Couple people I know picked Junhino Pernambucano, which isn't a bad one. Also Senna for those needing a defensive midfield option.

On 4/19/2020 at 12:13 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

I found the keeper position really really hard.  It feels like all the guys I know and remember as being top notch, all bloody played for major clubs.  So I'm a little scraping the barrel for guys who I remember as being very good in Euros/World Cups that didn't play at major clubs, or I didn't have a conflict with.  I thought Julio Cesar just matched that criteria. 

That he was Brazilian was really neither here nor there, as I didn't have any Brazilians in my outfield. I don't remember Cafu (if I saw him), and most of the other top notch ones played for clubs which are blocked by other players.  

Checking when he played, I almost certainly saw him in World Cup matches. But I don't particularly remember him.  Sorry.  And hurts me with my team selection!

Archived