Love in the Time of Coronavirus (#3)

Mlle. Zabzie

I think the British approach is probably more science based than others. They are not trying to shut up experts. I think its quite true with a large proportion of women in the workforce sending children home will end up with grandparents roped in to care for them and exposed to anything the children catch. At least the UK chief science officer and chief medical officer gave frank information e.g. that with 590 diagnosed cases they estimate the number of real cases is 5,000-10,000 and that if its assumed 80% of the population gets it with a 1% death rate that would be 500,000 deaths. Hope I have quoted correctly from memory! 

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I saw this chart last night and think the breakdown of symptoms has the potential to be really helpful if you're sick and not sure if you should be worried

Thanks. 

China is starting to conduct serology surveys. This is different, and far superior, to the previously mentioned 320K surveillance sampling aimed at 'flu and other diseases. Serology surveys is searching the population for antibodies, so that's people who have been exposed to the virus and either not got the disease or have recovered. This is the kind of survey that will tell us whether China is an iceberg or a Pyramid, because a serology survey will identify (or estimate) the number of people who went undiagnosed.

37 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

For fucks sake some people I know are still treating this like a joke.

I went shopping this afternoon with the little (the older had an after school group and then a dance-- which was subsequently cancelled by the school board) and both big stores I went to were entirely out of toilet paper, and entirely out of ground beef.

While in the checkout line, I overheard multiple utterings ridiculing 'fear mongering' but this is Alberta and about as redneck and Fox News as you can get in Canada.

Joy.

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

I went shopping this afternoon with the little (the older had an after school group and then a dance-- which was subsequently cancelled by the school board) and both big stores I went to were entirely out of toilet, and entirely out of ground beef. While in the checkout line, I overheard multiple utterings ridiculing 'fear mongering' but this is Alberta and about as redneck and Fox News as you can get in Canada.

Joy.

I went out twice this week to pick up a few things. I live alone, so I don't need a heck of a lot. A pack of 6 tins of tuna, small ones, to add to the ones on my shelf, a couple of cans of soup, a couple of cans of beans, some dried soup packages, a carton of 20 granola bars, a couple of chocolate bars (eaten already), 4 boxes of Ryvita crackers to eat with the tuna. Palmolive was on sale, two bottles of that. Last week I got a bottle of Advil. Every store has toilet paper (the Sobey's was out). Milk and salad dressing. Eggs. Fish, since I gave up red meat for Lent.

But after reading that report on the true nature of how Covid-19 spreads that Rhaenys B linked, I think I will go out tomorrow and get some packages of pasta or something. Maybe some rice, just in case things stretch out to a month.

My brother went out tonight to Sobey's and said to the grocery clerk he had never seen Sobey's so packed on a Thursday night. Then he went to No Frills (Loblaw's discount chain in Ontario) and he said it was packed with people with big, loaded to the brim, shopping carts. Lots of toilet paper and water being bought.

All of a sudden people here are worried. I think the Italian news has hit hard.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

But after reading that report on the true nature of how Covid-19 spreads that Rhaenys B linked, I think I will go out tomorrow and get some packages of pasta or something. Maybe some rice, just in case things stretch out to a month.

Good luck finding any. For miles around where I live there isn't a store where you can get rice or noodles/pasta anymore. They have been sold out since the beginning of the week here. Though I don't live in America, so there is that.

Schools, universities, kindergarten, museums, club sports, sunday prayers etc., all will shut down in my town here starting tomorrow. Basically anything you can think of where groups usually gather, it will be shut down.

1 minute ago, Mystical said:

Good luck finding any. For miles around where I live there isn't a store where you can get rice or noodles/pasta anymore. They have been sold out since the beginning of the week here. Though I don't live in America, so there is that.

Schools, universities, kindergarten, museums, club sports, sunday prayers etc., all will shut down in my town here starting tomorrow. Basically anything you can think of where groups usually gather, it will be shut down.

I was in Costco on Monday and there were pallets of bags of different kinds of rice, pasta, and tomato sauce in several aisles, in addition to the stuff on the shelves. I trust there is still some there!

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was in Costco on Monday and there were pallets of bags of different kinds of rice, pasta, and tomato sauce in several aisles, in addition to the stuff on the shelves. I trust there is still some there!

Send some across the ocean please. Because there is nothing to get here, anywhere. I'm hoping there will be another load coming in on Monday to the stores but that will be a race as to who gets it first.

5 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Send some across the ocean please. Because there is nothing to get here, anywhere. I'm hoping there will be another load coming in on Monday to the stores but that will be a race as to who gets it first.

Seriously speaking, where are you? I'd be happy to send a care package of pasta or whatever. Bottled sauce is a bit to heavy and fragile. :) 

eta: seriously, pm me!

Seriously speaking, where are you? I'd be happy to send a care package of pasta or whatever. Bottled sauce is a bit to heavy and fragile. :) 

Germany. We have a completely useless government. Thankfully my city takes it more seriously than our government and most states. Heck even the districts bordering my city remain dumb asses and keep everything open, especially schools and such. And they are more affected (their population density isn't much because it's mostly open land or farm land) than the cities.

5 minutes ago, Mystical said:

Germany. We have a completely useless government. Thankfully my city takes it more seriously than our government and most states. Heck even the districts bordering my city remain dumb asses and keep everything open, especially schools and such. And they are more affected (their population density isn't much because it's mostly open land or farm land) than the cities.

My offer stands! Maybe I could ship from Amazon in the UK? I see various kinds of pasta, rice, all kinds of stuff. An early Christmas! It would get there faster than a box from Canada. Let me know if you think you need it!

My offer stands! Maybe I could ship from Amazon in the UK? I see various kinds of pasta, rice, all kinds of stuff. An early Christmas! It would get there faster than a box from Canada. Let me know if you think you need it! 

Nah if I can't get my hands on anything by Monday at the latest, I will be ordering online. That is if delivery services don't also shut down. But thanks, I might get back to you if the virus situation really gets out of control here in my part of the country.

Talked to a neighbor - and to be clear I live in an apartment complex so I have tons of neighbors - that is Asian, Taiwanese to be precise.  Me and him have lots in common - same age, finishing a diss.  So I was coming in from a cig earlier tonight, he was sitting in the lobby because he works at night there so as to not bother his pregnant wife and the most adorable ~2 year old daughter in the world.  

But what was different tonight is he expressed that he never really encountered racism -- until the outbreak.  I was kind of shocked when he said this to me.  Not because he encountered racism, but because he wanted to emphasize how much it's changed since the coronavirus.  So I asked him to clarify, and he was like "yes, it's never been a problem before, but now I get called.."  I'm not gonna finish that.  I don't know what my point is here in posting this.  I guess that human nature always is disappointing.

Archived