A Terrible Movie that you love

Raja

Just now, Raja said:

What on earth is this trailer lmaoo

I WAs put off watching it for years. Watched It for the first time maybe a couple year ago or less and I would now count it as one of my favourite films. It’s fun and silly and a brilliant fantasy adventure but the widow of the web sequence elevates it to a higher level, the score, action, dialogue, world building, characterisation, back story and performances is just spellbinding. Truly extraordinary. “I...cannot stop the sand!” “You cannot stop time” god I fucking love Krull 

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I don't know about love, if I loved a film I'd probably try to make some argument for it being better than terrible, but I quite like The Postman. It's absolutely, unequivocally terrible. The plot doesn't make sense, it's not particularly well acted, it's way to long and it's far too mawkish. I enjoy it though. I've got a bit of soft spot for stupid post apocalyptic stuff in general and it's entertaining how completely over the top it is.

I enjoyed the book so had a soft spot for the movie.  Ford Lincoln Mercury (IIRC) was a pretty great name to adopt though.  And I kind of like that in the movie the big bad was a photo copier salesman in the pre apocalypse era.  (Again, if i have that all correct...it's been a while)

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

It probably feels terrible only from this perspective in history and film making time, but The Vikings (1958), with Ernest Borgnine (who is Ragnar Lodbrok, Kirk Douglas as Einar, Ragnar's son,

as a real nasty bad guy, and Tony Curtis as the good guy and Janet Leigh as The Girl.

But it has that incredible scene of Borgnine dying as Viking down in the pit of starving wolves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vikings_(film)

I know intellectually there may have been a time in the color movie era where Ernest Borgnine could credibly play Kirk Douglas's dad.   But it still doesnt make sense.  I might have to check this one out.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

I feel like no real explanation is needed, but for those who've missed it, its peak late 80s materialism matched peak 80s Cruise charm, all set to the tune of "Kokomo". It's as manufactured and artifical as it gets.

For men of a certain age, Elizabeth Shue had what the French call a certain I don't know what.  Mr. Flannignan.  That's a great call for this thread.

Waterworld is a fun film. Maybe (Probably) not a good film, but I enjoy it nonetheless. Dennis Hopper is a fairly large reason why.

Armageddon is bad. Let's not kid ourselves here. That movie is bad. If you enjoy it, okay, but it ain't that good.

Willow seems to get a bunch of crap from various people, but man is it fun. Val Kilmer is great in it and for the longest time (up until the release of LotR) it was easily the best, if not the best fantasy movie.

I also enjoy Red Sonja and that movie is pure, unambiguous trash. 

I'm not sure I can agree that Prometheus is bad. It's very, very flawed yes, but there's enough quality in it that doesn't fall to being bad. I do enjoy it, albeit with some qualifications. Covenant is not good, however.

Twister is also a lot of fun, though it really doesn't hold up much nowadays.

Independence Day is also a bad move depending upon who you ask and I love it. The "Ra-Ra-Murika!" aspect is annoying, but eh, it's a fun action movie that I really enjoy. It's also really, really stupid.

21 minutes ago, Raja said:

I think Covenant is great, it took the best parts of prometetheus and said 'why not more'

It was one of my favourite comedies of the year. For real. Me and my best mate saw it in the cinema and could not stop laughing the whole way through. Seriously it should have been film 3 of a trilogy with a second part focused on David and shaw as part 2

34 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Willow seems to get a bunch of crap from various people, but man is it fun. Val Kilmer is great in it and for the longest time (up until the release of LotR) it was easily the best, if not the best fantasy movie.

I love Willow. One of my favorite childhood movies. Will be interesting to see what they do with the Disney + show. 

25 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Jupiter Ascending is so much fun. It’s SO bad but SO worth a watch. 

YES! Dog-Thor vs Space Dragon-People? Yes, please!

21 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I love Willow. One of my favorite childhood movies. Will be interesting to see what they do with the Disney + show. 

Wait... there's going to be a Disney + show?! I'm not sure that's enough to get me to subscribe to Disney +, but it sure makes the decision more difficult.

This is coming from someone who liked Willow enough to read those... questionable Chris Claremont sequel books.

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Willow I will argue is just a plain great movie.  Just watched it again not to long ago, the Blu Ray is amazing balls.

Yes, it really is. I'm not sure if there was some recent reevaluation of the movie, but I remember it being fairly regularly derided back around the time it came out, hence why I put it on my list.

Also, another bad movie I enjoy...

Super Mario Brothers

Yet another movie elevated by an over-the-top Dennis Hopper performance.

I have watched Jupiter Ascending three times now -- the first time, lordessa save us -- when it came out, in a theater.  For what it is, it's pretty darned good and a wonderful thing to look at.  Therefore it is not a bad movie.  Coz I watched it three times, and maybe will again when more years go by. B)

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

KRULL is a MASTERPIECE of fantasy cinema ok. The widow of the web sequence is one of the finest in any film ever. Truly spectacular. 

Ooh. This reminds me: Red Sonja is up there...

@Triskele once told me in a vulnerable moment that From Justin To Kelly is his favorite movie of all time. He watches it almost every weeknight while eating a full pound of elbow macaroni in “Trisky sauce” (which he later confessed is just ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together). But apparently he’s too ashamed to admit that in this thread.

2 hours ago, Durckad said:

Waterworld is a fun film. Maybe (Probably) not a good film, but I enjoy it nonetheless. Dennis Hopper is a fairly large reason why.

Armageddon is bad. Let's not kid ourselves here. That movie is bad. If you enjoy it, okay, but it ain't that good.

I also enjoy Red Sonja and that movie is pure, unambiguous trash. 

I'm not sure I can agree that Prometheus is bad. It's very, very flawed yes, but there's enough quality in it that doesn't fall to being bad. I do enjoy it, albeit with some qualifications. Covenant is not good, however.

Twister is also a lot of fun, though it really doesn't hold up much nowadays.

Independence Day is also a bad move depending upon who you ask and I love it. The "Ra-Ra-Murika!" aspect is annoying, but eh, it's a fun action movie that I really enjoy. It's also really, really stupid.

To me, the biggest problem with Independence Day was that the Brit's were all "about bloody time there's a counterattack" and the French didn't go all Vichy.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Motion to remove all mention of Willow from this thread dedicated to “terrible” movies.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

@Triskele once told me in a vulnerable moment that From Justin To Kelly is his favorite movie of all time. He watches it almost every weeknight while eating a full pound of elbow macaroni in “Trisky sauce” (which he later confessed is just ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together). But apparently he’s too ashamed to admit that in this thread.

Aged better than Labyrinth.

Archived