Sign in to follow this  
Raja

A Terrible Movie that you love

50 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not a bad movie! 10 Things I Hate About You is basically as close as you can get to a non-problematic adaptation of Taming of the Shrew. Which is very impressive.

And it wasn't just Ledger; Julia Stiles is really good too. And Larry Miller is a lot of fun. Joseph Gordon-Levitt hadn't entirely figured out how to act yet, but its great to see him try.

It's 68% of Rotten Tomatoes I think undersells how critics actually wrote about it at the time. But even so, 68% isn't a bad movie.

ETA: Plus the soundtrack is great.

My older brother is actually friends with Monique Powell from Save Ferris. I met her a couple years after this came out, but I remember getting a kick out her being in this movie (singing during the prom scene). They have a couple songs on the soundtrack iirc. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I will concede her ability to kill people with her legs may have been a bit over the top, but don't ever question that perfect film again. :spank:

Very well.:commie:

But I don't really care for Natalya...

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think it was more than a scene or two, but I obviously was exaggerating - plus haven't seen it in years, could just be wrong.

I only recall a sun bathing scene and a sex scene, but I also haven't seen it in a while. I just remember it being incredibly boring despite people saying it was really good.

He tips his yacht racing in that film, right? 

Uh, we didn't when we played the game either.  My brother was annoying as well when we used proximity mines.

It was one of the many fun cheats in the game. You could give yourself two super guns and put paint ball mode on. It was pretty funny. A friend actually gave me a N64 a year ago. Never tried to fire it up, but if I ever do and it works, I'll be looking for the above and Mariocart. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think i also have to add Van Helsing to this thread. I love the film but its objectively pretty bad

I remember a friend telling me that when he went to see it the sound cut out in the cinema halfway through the film and they had to make up their own dialogue for the rest of the film. He said that definitely improved the film.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

What is people's opinion on A Knight's Tale? I love it. Its RT score isn't good.

I think it's a great film. Of course it is utterly ludicrous but at least it knows that it is. The jousting makes for good action, Ledger is charismatic while Bettany, Addy and Tudyk are good sidekicks.

22 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Jupiter Ascending is so much fun. It’s SO bad but SO worth a watch. 

This feels a bit different to something like A Knight's Tale, because I'm not sure the film-makers really intended it to be as ridiculous as it is, so I think it does belong in this thread. It's very pretty, but I think that's the only thing it genuinely does well, other than that it's definitely a so-bad-it's-good film that I can enjoy without thinking it's in any way a good film.

Another suggestion - Godzilla : King of the Monsters. The scenes with the monsters fighting are a lot of fun and I can definitely get behind the film's suggestion that the world would be better with Godzilla and Mothra in charge, but the script is catastrophically bad.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

He tips his yacht racing in that film, right?

I honestly don't remember.  Sounds like you have better recall of it than I do.  Of course I just got high.

You could give yourself two super guns and put paint ball mode on. It was pretty funny. A friend actually gave me a N64 a year ago. Never tried to fire it up, but if I ever do and it works, I'll be looking for the above and Mariocart. 

Yeah I'm aware of paint ball mode and the cheat, we just never cared to use it.  My brother and I still frequently use our original N64 to play Goldeneye & Mariocart when friends are over.  In fact spent hours playing both the last time we had friends over, which was a month ago of course.

It was one of the many fun cheats in the game. You could give yourself two super guns and put paint ball mode on. It was pretty funny. A friend actually gave me a N64 a year ago. Never tried to fire it up, but if I ever do and it works, I'll be looking for the above and Mariocart. 

Sadly Goldeneye's controls and terrible frame rate have aged terribly. It's really quite unplayable if you're at all used to dual stick first person shooters.

I'm really not sure what's stopping them from doing a remake anymore. They had one 80% done about a decade ago and then had to abandon it and do Perfect Dark because Sony and Nintendo couldn't come to an agreement. But the two companies been playing nice lately.  

5 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

Very well.:commie:

But I don't really care for Natalya...

Because she was too smart of a Bond girl for your taste.

I bet you liked Dr. Christmas! 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Sadly Goldeneye's controls and terrible frame rate have aged terribly. It's really quite unplayable if you're at all used to dual stick first person shooters.

I'm really not sure what's stopping them from doing a remake anymore. They had one 80% done about a decade ago and then had to abandon it and do Perfect Dark because Sony and Nintendo couldn't come to an agreement. But the two companies been playing nice lately.  

The sticking point is there's always one asshole who picks Oddjob and grabs the golden gun. Even in development. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Because she was too smart of a Bond girl for your taste.

I bet you liked Dr. Christmas! 

:ack:

Michelle Yeoh!!

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

But I think I have another valid entry:

Deep Blue Sea

I don't think it's actually terrible... but maybe it is. It all comes down to Samuel L. Jackson's speech. 

2 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I don't think it's actually terrible... but maybe it is. It all comes down to Samuel L. Jackson's speech. 

Oh I love the film, but there are some truly terrible things about it. Tom Jane being able to dodge sharks in water has to be at the top of the list, along with just everything LL Cool J was doing. 

That scene though has I believe won multiple awards for the best death and most shocking death.

Spoilers....

On 4/11/2020 at 6:19 PM, Fez said:

As for me, an actual terrible movie that I love is In Time; a Justin Timberlake sci fi-movie from 2011 with a great premise (almost certainly stolen from some less known works) that is executed terribly. Character motivations make no sense, there's enormous plot holes everywhere, and almost the entire movie looks like it was filmed in a Los Angeles River viaduct. HOWEVER, I like the concept so much, and Cillian Murphy and Mad Men's Pete Campbell are such sniveling villains, that I can't help but the love the movie.

Oh shit! In Time is a good pick. I loved it and it was terrible for all the reasons you mentioned.

So in the hierarchy of terrible movies that are also awesome, 

where does Tremors go?

49 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's really quite unplayable if you're at all used to dual stick first person shooters.

Yeah my brother always complains about this these days because he's a devoted gamer (to say the least).  For me, the only non-sports games I ever got into are Goldeneye, MarioKart, GTA, and I guess really early Zelda.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

where does Tremors go?

Fucck that, lets not confuse "terribly dated" with terrible.

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The soundtrack for The Birth of a Nation totally sucks.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah my brother always complains about this these days because he's a devoted gamer (to say the least).  For me, the only non-sports games I ever got into are Goldeneye, MarioKart, GTA, and I guess really early Zelda.

Try RDR2. It's as close to Westworld as you can hope for. Plus a PS4 is actually just super useful, even if you don't game much like me.

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I mean, it's dated, but there's also so much that's awful about the film.

Seems like you broke into the wrong god damn rec room, though, so fucccck, you. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

where does Tremors go?

It goes in a thread about movies which are definitely not terrible.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I mean, it's dated, but there's also so much that's awful about the film.

Seems like you broke into the wrong god damn rec room, though, so fucccck, you. 

The bar is lower for horror though.