COVID-19 and your life

Fury Resurrected

9 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Ah, this has possibly worked out perfectly for all parties involved,

Did you know that in the United States they charge a dollar amount comparable to buying a house for no reason other than to teach people the concept of a "win-win?"  

Please do not send me any recipe unless you would like to.  But actually now that it feels like you've sinceriously offered it,...

Oh, no, I was just teasing you. I don't usually go around the forum spamming people's inboxes with cake recipes.

I am not sure how the ridiculously expensive education in the USA ties into this though, but just as well.

34 minutes ago, Triskele said:

You fiend

ETA:  And I'll have you know, you monster, that the only reason I can't give your post a "like" or something is because stuff...but it deserved a whatever.  Bravo.

I only just saw this. Thank you for at least your intention!

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Given your response....

Please go on.  There is nothing more pathetic than me and cakes.  

I might just have a lousy sense of humour.

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Dear Buckwheat - If you're just like me you'll understand that we are in some insane place.

Where do we go from here? 

Oh, I thought everybody agreed it was an insane place. No idea what to do with that knowledge of course. It seems we are all voluntarily staying here.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

I see absolutely no reason not to.

Do you have a good cake recipe then?

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Usually, it is something like: 200 g flour, 150 g sugar, 2 or 3 eggs, baking powder, vanilla sugar, lemon peel ...

This is an odd question and I know nothing about baking beyond eating baked goods...but what does the lemon peel do? 

I'm not sure I can phrase that any less goofy.

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm the weirdo that never has cake. Not sure I've ever eaten a slice in full. 

Frosting is good though. Sometimes. 

Am I the only one imagining you licking the frosting off cakes when you're drunk/high?

Happy birthday to all those involved in this conversation btw.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Usually, it is something like: 200 g flour, 150 g sugar, 2 or 3 eggs, baking powder, vanilla sugar, lemon peel ...

Where's the butter, man?

35 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

This is an odd question and I know nothing about baking beyond eating baked goods...but what does the lemon peel do? 

Flavour

11 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Am I the only one imagining you licking the frosting off cakes when you're drunk/high?

Quit fantasizing about me and frosting.

And fyi no, I cannot recall the last time I had frosting off a cake. Could easily have been 20 years ago when I was a kid. Sweets are just not my thing.

But then again, @Jace, Basilissa did accuse us Jews of running the world with cinnamon rolls. A reasonable take, I must admit. 

1 hour ago, Inkdaub said:

Besides what Helena said, it also smells great.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm the weirdo that never has cake. Not sure I've ever eaten a slice in full. 

Frosting is good though. Sometimes. 

My little cousin (well, he is not that little anymore now, this was when he was like 2 or 3) used to be only interested in blowing the candles and kept asking people to light them up again once he's blown them out. Once the candles were taken out and cake was going to be cut up and eaten, he completely lost interest in it.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Where's the butter, man?

I spread it over the cake pan to prevent sticking, obviously.

26 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

My little cousin (well, he is not that little anymore now, this was when he was like 2 or 3) used to be only interested in blowing the candles and kept asking people to light them up again once he's blown them out. Once the candles were taken out and cake was going to be cut up and eaten, he completely lost interest in it.

There's a great picture my family has of one of my step-brothers on his first birthday. There's more cake on his face than on the plate, and my step-dad isn't sure if any of it made it into his mouth.

Did you know that today , May 14th, is the day of the Saint Corona (in the catholic church).

She is the Saint of money, treasure hunter, and animal diseases (no idea if that includes viruses).

13 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

Did you know that today , May 14th, is the day of the Saint Corona (in the catholic church).

She is the Saint of money, treasure hunter, and animal diseases (no idea if that includes viruses).

St. Edmund and St. Roch have been the saints people prayed to during epidemics and pandemics, not because they were associated with them during their lives but because people prayed to them and reported cures or miracles.

That’s why St. Corona is associated with treasure hunting, some treasure hunter said he prayed for her help and found treasure, and that got extended to gambling and money in general. Praying to a saint to find treasure is not something the Catholic Church has ever endorsed, nor is gambling, but people do these things and the association is created. The treasure hunter probably thought of her because she was supposed to have said there would be two crowns in heaven for her and St. Victor, a Roman soldier tortured for converting to Christianity and who she was supposed to have comforted as he lay dying. As punishment she was said to have been tied to two palm trees that were bent down and then released, tearing her to pieces. The Romans were definitely creative in the methods of killing people.

Her remains are supposed to be located in a church in northern Italy and the faithful have started to pray to her, so at the end of this she may join St. Edmund and St. Roch as one of the saints asked to in intercede in times of epidemics.

55 minutes ago, A wilding said:

More like the early Christian Church was definitely creative in coming up with martyrdoms for its saints ...

That may be true, but the Romans definitely had many ways of killing people.

Of course, anyone with any common sense doubts that any person from 2,000 years ago actually existed. Or from 1,500 years ago, Or from 1,000 years ago, amirite? 

That was rhetorical.

It's amazing how a simple post about a historical person draws flack.

eta: and I guess the stories about people being tortured and killed for being Christians were made up too, right? All those slaughters in the coliseums, all those lions. 

eta 2: I just looked up lists of Roman torture methods. I was intending to post them, but they are pretty gruesome, so you can look them up yourself. But I had never heard about being stuffed into a donkey before. A donkey would be killed and it's belly slit open and gutted. The person would be stuffed into the belly and sewn in, with only their head outside. You can imagine how Mother Nature took over the job at that point.

Being torn apart by two palm trees actually sounds merciful. From the description of the tortures, she was likely gang raped first, and then whipped. The Romans didn't believe in punishment in the afterlife, death was the release, so they tortured people for long periods of time first.

And interestingly, patricide was considered a horrific crime, for which you were whipped, then put in a sack and tossed into the sea. Later they decided that wasn't enough, so they added a snake to the sack. And later still, they added a cock and a rat with the snake. 

Swimming with the fishes seems to have a long history.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

St. Edmund and St. Roch have been the saints people prayed to during epidemics and pandemics, not because they were associated with them during their lives but because people prayed to them and reported cures or miracles.

Babalú-Ayé  is the orisha of sickness and epidemic in the Yoruba religion, Umbanda, Candomble, Santeria, Haitian Vodou, folk Catholicism. His santo in Santería is St. Lazaro. Lots of candles being lit for him these last months in the large cities here and further south, including Miami and Rio.

Archived