Star Trek: The Wrath of Fans

Derfel Cadarn

2 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

Dukat in disguise gets so much more wonderfully bizarre and ironic. 

Haha, you can say that. I kind of expected Dukat to become the Bajoran Antichrist, but I can't say I expected the Dukat/Winn pairing. Such romance!

Question for you Trekkies: what's the deal with the Breen? I know we've seen them and their Boussh costumes before, but are they a major power? I'd look it up but don't want to risk spoilers. I'm glad that the Dominion plot is heating up (not to mention Damar, who is becoming amazing) but my reaction to the Breen alliance pact was mainly: huh... them?

49 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Haha, you can say that. I kind of expected Dukat to become the Bajoran Antichrist, but I can't say I expected the Dukat/Winn pairing. Such romance!

Question for you Trekkies: what's the deal with the Breen? I know we've seen them and their Boussh costumes before, but are they a major power? I'd look it up but don't want to risk spoilers. I'm glad that the Dominion plot is heating up (not to mention Damar, who is becoming amazing) but my reaction to the Breen alliance pact was mainly: huh... them?

The Breen was just a name thrown around when something had been attacked on TNG. They never appeared before DS9. You have all the relevant information, they're just meant to be mysterious. 

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The Breen was just a name thrown around when something had been attacked on TNG. They never appeared before DS9. You have all the relevant information, they're just meant to be mysterious. 

They're fleshed out some in non canon novels.  

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

That's some very strange plotting then, like if a clone Palpatine appeared out of nowhere with a massive overwhelming fleet just to raise the stakes for the big climax.

(I kid, this is nowhere near as bad as that, and I forgive the writers for the clunky last minute plotting because so far, all the Weyoun/Damar/Breen commander scenes have been a hilarious delight).

3 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

That's some very strange plotting then, like if a clone Palpatine appeared out of nowhere with a massive overwhelming fleet just to raise the stakes for the big climax.

(I kid, this is nowhere near as bad as that, and I forgive the writers for the clunky last minute plotting because so far, all the Weyoun/Damar/Breen commander scenes have been a hilarious delight).

Yeah, the Breen are just some random midsized power that allies with the Dominion because they are evil slavers nobody even in-universe knows much about due to their isolationist policies.

Specifically, the Breen were first name dropped in Generations, where Riker broke down the candidates most likely to have attacked the station at the start of the movie...not sure how that lines up timeline wise, but it's possible that was meant to open a small door to introduce the Breen in DS9...

The Breen are first mentioned in TNG's The Loss (Season 4), followed by Hero Worship (Season 5). They're actually mentioned a fair bit towards the end of TNG's run and in Generations.

The DS9 writers had gotten bored of coming up with new races, so when they needed an alien race for Indiscretion (Season 4) they drafted in the Breen and came up with the idea of them being tough but mysterious, and not able to speak a language that the Federation universal translator could handle (although Dominion ones can, which is why you get those amusing conversations which we as the viewer can't understand later on).

Their mode of communication was inspired by the Lou Reed album Metal Machine Music, which Ira Behr brought in and played to the confused sound effects guys until they got what what he was going for.

The most amusing thing was that Behr was adamant they were never going to show people what a Breen looks like, because in his view the entire Breen body was like a cybersuit worn by a tiny humanoid pilot that lives in the helmet, allowing them to interact with normal-sized species, and he knew there was no way the effects could pull that off. He even said there's no way they're going to be the same old weird humanoid guys with bumpy foreheads.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

The Breen are first mentioned in TNG's The Loss (Season 4), followed by Hero Worship (Season 5). They're actually mentioned a fair bit towards the end of TNG's run and in Generations.

The DS9 writers had gotten bored of coming up with new races, so when they needed an alien race for Indiscretion (Season 4) they drafted in the Breen and came up with the idea of them being tough but mysterious, and not able to speak a language that the Federation universal translator could handle (although Dominion ones can, which is why you get those amusing conversations which we as the viewer can't understand later on).

Their mode of communication was inspired by the Lou Reed album Metal Machine Music, which Ira Behr brought in and played to the confused sound effects guys until they got what what he was going for.

The most amusing thing was that Behr was adamant they were never going to show people what a Breen looks like, because in his view the entire Breen body was like a cybersuit worn by a tiny humanoid pilot that lives in the helmet, allowing them to interact with normal-sized species, and he knew there was no way the effects could pull that off. He even said there's no way they're going to be the same old weird humanoid guys with bumpy foreheads.

Huh.  I'll be damned.  I do not remember the Breen mentions during the regular season of TNG...I'm getting rusty in my recollections of the series...

The non canon novels posit that the Breen Confederacy is made up of many races (likely no where near as many as the Federation), and that the suits are their way of leveling the playing field as far as who is who. No one race of the Confederacy is better than the others...that only in the most intimate privacy do they even share who they are...

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Specifically, the Breen were first name dropped in Generations, where Riker broke down the candidates most likely to have attacked the station at the start of the movie...not sure how that lines up timeline wise, but it's possible that was meant to open a small door to introduce the Breen in DS9...

Generations happens right before Worf joins DS9, so between Seasons 3 and 4 (I think)

This is as good a place as any to mention this, I saw someone talking about the Alien universe and Weyland Yutani a couple of days ago, and due to the conversation about loving Weyoun in here my mind connected "Weyland" to "Weyoun" and now I'm picturing a version of Aliens where Paul Reiser's character has been replaced by Weyoun. And I love this idea and wish I could make it real (albeit as an alternative version, not replacing the actual Aliens).

WEYOUN: Our new allies are full of surprises, aren't they? You know those refrigeration suits they wear?
DAMAR: What about them?
WEYOUN: I'm sure you've read the intelligence reports that say that their homeworld is a frozen wasteland. Well, it's not. The climate on their planet is quite comfortable.
DAMAR: Then why do they wear refrigeration suits?
WEYOUN: They won't say. You see what I mean? They're full of surprises.

Amazing. But so much tragedy in the last episode.

Spoiler

Not only the destruction of the Defiant and an attack on Earth, but the destruction of Weyoun's cloning facilities! He's the last of the Weyouns :(

Those writers better not kill Weyoun...

1 hour ago, Toth said:

At this point they are just throwing their entire idea bin out there in the hope that something will be successful, are they?

What tipped you off? Two concurrent live action shows that can only put I KNOW WHAT THAT IS in their trailers or the Teen Titans ripoff?

46 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

What tipped you off? Two concurrent live action shows that can only put I KNOW WHAT THAT IS in their trailers or the Teen Titans ripoff?

It probably was the Rick and Morty ripoff in between.

12 minutes ago, Toth said:

It probably was the Rick and Morty ripoff in between.

I see Teen Titans. They have a fucking Beast Boy and a Cyborg for Chryst's sake. 

(Geep Chryst, former offensive coordinator for the 49'ers, is something of a personal deity. Don't want anyone to think I'm just being cutesy with the spelling to stand out from the endless anonymous commentating masses. Definitely not that.)

If they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for every idea they can get their hands on then I'm still amazed they haven't decided to do a "Star Trek: Keeping Up With the Cardassians" yet. They can have that idea for free.

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

If they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for every idea they can get their hands on then I'm still amazed they haven't decided to do a "Star Trek: Keeping Up With the Cardassians" yet. They can have that idea for free.

When we need to start a new thread I think that this should be the title.

Archived