US Politics: 133 Days to Nov. 3, But Who's Counting?

Fragile Bird

23 hours ago, Fez said:

Getting called Excellency, or, even better, Plenipotentiary, has a hell of a ring to it.

That's Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to you, good sir!

19 hours ago, felice said:

That's an abbreviation with a lot of potential for misunderstanding, though...

Yeah when teaching I've never tried to employ "representative" too much.  It can clearly confuse the students depending on the context, and maybe it's just a personal preference, but I prefer to say "MCs" rather than "Reps." or "representatives."  Also, when writing powerpoints, using "MCs" saves room, which is key, and does refer to members of both the House and Senate when they don't need to be differentiated.  

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah when teaching I've never tried to employ "representative" too much.  It can clearly confuse the students depending on the context, and maybe it's just a personal preference, but I prefer to say "MCs" rather than "Reps." or "representatives."  Also, when writing powerpoints, using "MCs" saves room, which is key, and does refer to members of both the House and Senate when they don't need to be differentiated.  

Too legit to quit using the title I assume.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

No doubt with an annually released updated version, so students can’t pass their copies on.

I hated that bullshit.

54 minutes ago, DMC said:

I can't find a clean clip of it. But I'm reminded of the episode of Archer where Anthony Bourdain guest stars as a chef who kills the Albanian Ambassador to the US. He gives the full title.

...I should watch that show again.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

...I should watch that show again.

Yeah I still haven't gotten around to catching up on its most recent season.  I was randomly watching repeats last night, and very much enjoyed this:

"And spoiler alert, it sucks!"

I recently watched the Archer SciFi season after skipping 2 years of coma interlude. It was alright. Not quite peak Archer, but I had fun. Even interested going forward. It's a remarkable comeback this late in the show's lifecycle.

Did anyone see this?  Nebraska Democrats renounce their Senate pick over comments:

The text messages, which were obtained by The Associated Press, were from a group chat involving Janicek and five other people, including the female staffer. At one point, he wrote that he had argued with her and then asked whether the campaign should spend money on “getting her laid.”

“It will probably take three guys,” he wrote, before describing in graphic detail an imagined group sex scene involving the female staffer.

He then tried walk back those comments as “a joke,” and texted an apology to the group.

Yikes.  Dude really should drop out.  There is, after all, a competitive district in Nebraska, and him on the ballot ain't gonna help.

Joe Biden is dropping about as perfect of a speech as he could have at the moment. Momentum is a silly cliche, but he's got it right now and Trump is bleeding his. I just wish that 6 in my bottom right hand corner was a 9. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Joe Biden is dropping about as perfect of a speech as he could have at the moment. Momentum is a silly cliche, but he's got it right now and Trump is bleeding his. I just wish that 6 in my bottom right hand corner was a 9. 

The fact that FOX news aired this rather than Trump's speech was interesting.

"When Black Americans tell us they do not feel safe in their own communities, we need to listen. When citizens lack faith in our justice system, we need to respond. And when the equal protection of the law feels to some Americans like a contingency of demographics, we need to act."

Amazingly, that quote is from McConnell. Since he doesnt do anything without a politically expedient reason, you have to wonder what is going on. Are we having a moment in the civil rights fight where everything is aligning, or is he just worried about *something* political (such as his own reelection or the dire polls for the GoP)?

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Amazingly, that quote is from McConnell. Since he doesnt do anything without a politically expedient reason, you have to wonder what is going on. Are we having a moment in the civil rights fight where everything is aligning, or is he just worried about *something* political (such as his own reelection or the dire polls for the GoP)?

ding ding ding

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting indeed, if true.

It's well known that the sons do not agree with their rotten father. 

No, that is not really accurate.

They pretty much share their old man's view. Difference is, for them Faux News is first and foremost a business, so they put a higher priority on the profits than the message.

However, that is not just one dead canary for Twitler and his campaign, more like an entire flock and some of dead canaries. The logical conclusion is, that Trumpism is not good for the bottom line at Faux News. So them airing the Biden speech, and Faux News moving closer to Biden means, that the writing on the wall says, if you continue to praise and dance around the Orange Calf, you will invoke the wrath of the almighty Dollar.

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

They pretty much share their old man's view. Difference is, for them Faux News is first and foremost a business, so they put a higher priority on the profits than the message.

This is not really different from Rupert, IMO. The Murdochs have always been quick to desert a sinking ship, then claim credit for launching the lifeboats.

Not sure there's anything truly shocking in Bolton's book (based on the statements from reporters with advance copies). We already knew Trump is a monstrous asshole who is both incredibly stupid and incredibly corrupt. Now we have a few more examples of impeachable offenses that Republicans will ignore that we can throw on the pile.

But holy fuck is this presidency a nightmare.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

This is not really different from Rupert, IMO. The Murdochs have always been quick to desert a sinking ship, then claim credit for launching the lifeboats.

Maybe, but I don't think that is accurate wrt Faux News. They have gone to extreme lengths to spread disinformation to keep their guys in charge. I'd go as far to say, that Rupert was willing to take a hit on profits for that. His sons are rumoredly way less dogmatic there.

Archived