Football: Glories of future past in the Age of Apocalypse.

It'll be interesting to see if Chelsea can gel so many new players into a coherent unit next season.

Amusing to see that they're pretty much binning CHO off after giving him a massive contract. I can't see Tammy Abraham getting much of a game either, now that Superfrank is smitten with Giroud.

CHO looks very much like one of the talents that is gonna go unfulfilled

Tammy Abraham meanwhile is the opposite, decent-not-great talent by Prem standards who will go somewhere and have a good career but isn't an international level striker. I mean I suppose in some generations he would be but suddenly the top of the premiership is on fire with goalscoring Englishmen.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:38 PM, polishgenius said:

That Leicester immediately replaced him with Coyuncu who's clearly better is a bit embarassing

I don't think that Soyuncu is better than Maguire and certainly not clearly better. I also think that Evans has been better than Soyuncu. 

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I can't say I've ever been impressed by Holding. I like Ake a lot though. I would love us to go in for him.

He has always been someone that needs games to get going in the team, but the ACL injury set him back.

4 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

If you lot splurge on Sancho the same might happen to Greenwood.

Nah, Sancho can also play LW, and Greenwood can play anywhere up front. And even if it wasn't the case, we still should sign him.

Not happy with the Aké stuff, but if City keep being as inept as Utd when it comes to turn big CB signings into something solid and sustainable... then that's fine.

17 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Not happy with the Aké stuff, but if City keep being as inept as Utd when it comes to turn big CB signings into something solid and sustainable... then that's fine.

Ake is likely going to be Laporte's backup. Otamendi is definitely gone and there's talk that either Stones or Garcia will leave (most likely going to be Stones since Garcia has moved ahead of him in the pecking order) so City are probably still going to sign another CB to start alongside Laporte. Also Ake counts as homegrown so if Stones leaves then City's homegrown quota is unaffected. 

I'd say the player that wouldn't get much of a look in would be James. Six players for three positions isn't overkill. Also, Ighalo's loan ends in January too so we would be left with 5 players for the 3 forward positions for half the season. Greenwood should still see a good amount of game time.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I just meant that he'd be displaced in the team, that he wouldn't get much of a look in.

I don't think that's super-likely to happen anyway, four forwards competing for three spots is fine and if anything on the light side of a campaign if we qualify for the CL (well, we'll have Ighalo too till Christmas as cover) but that isn't what happened to CHO. I appreciate he's also had an injury he's been recovering from but the reports/rumours are the reason he's not been playing so much and Havertz is coming in is that his attitude has been a bit shitty behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't think that's super-likely to happen anyway, four forwards competing for three spots is fine and if anything on the light side of a campaign if we qualify for the CL (well, we'll have Ighalo too till Christmas as cover) but that isn't what happened to CHO. I appreciate he's also had an injury he's been recovering from but the reports/rumours are the reason he's not been playing so much and Havertz is coming in is that his attitude has been a bit shitty behind the scenes.

I've no idea, but they just gave him a giant contract - how hopelessly dumb would you have to be to give a problem kid who's accomplished nothing a giant deal??????!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've no idea, but they just gave him a giant contract - how hopelessly dumb would you have to be to give a problem kid who's accomplished nothing a giant deal??????!!!!!!

I'd say that Chelsea's board panicked. When Bayern came knocking, I think Chelsea's board became terrified that they were going to have another KdB, Salah or Lukaku size fuck up. There was also considerable pressure from the fans at the time hyping up CHO as the next big thing and demanding that Sarri start him. So I think Chelsea's board resolved to do anything to hang onto him out of sheer panic and that entailed handing him a big contract.

It's a pretty dumb overreaction, especially when the moment they're able to they leap to the same upgrades they have in the past.

I wouldn't like to guess who, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were another couple of KDBs and Salahs that the Chelsea mill grinds over and leaves behind in the near future.

57 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I think the implication is that throughout this season, which is when he's supposed to have stepped up to the first team properly, is when the attitude problems have become clear. It may also be that Sarri thought his attitude was fine but Lampard for whatever reason does not.

It might also just not be true of course.

Archived