Football: Glories of future past in the Age of Apocalypse.

Just finished watching the Liverpool-Chelsea game. If Lampard had started Pulisic, Chelsea may have actually won the game. Baffling that he didn't start the guy who loves to run at defenders against defenders that have been making mistakes lately. smh

Of course, Chelsea's defensive troubles continue, and Lampard is still trying to figure out a system that works. If only he could have access to a worthy LB. And Keppa is not a good goalkeeper. For a youthful dude, he seems to have really slow reflexes.

The game was a joy to watch, overall. 8 goals, and none from penalties, with only one from a set piece.

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Oh well, we got there in the end. Some positives to take a way, but plenty of negatives too. What on earth has happened to our defence?

I've been waiting for the opportune moment to say this, but quit soylent browning on your team so much. They were still the better team in this game, they often are the better team, and the players you soylent brown on often are generally better than you give them credit. Crongrats on the title, it is well deserved. 

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've been waiting for the opportune moment to say this, but quit soylent browning on your team so much. They were still the better team in this game, they often are the better team, and the players you soylent brown on often are generally better than you give them credit. Crongrats on the title, it is well deserved. 

Right, stop complaining about my team because they were so amazing last night. So amazing that you think they may have lost if one extra Chelsea player had started. Lost to this Chelsea team with their dreadful goalkeeper, shaky backline and defensively-clueless manager. At Anfield. Lots to be positive about though, as Chelsea will be strengthening considerably in the transfer window whereas we will not. Yay!

And we genuinely haven't been the better team, performance-wise, a lot of the time this season. We just found a way to win anyway.

And really the only player I had a big go at last night was Salah, and he really was fucking shite. He spent the whole night trying to play impossible one-twos into the legs of defenders and shooting at the corner flags.

15 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think people slept on Pulisic for a while coz he got pushed out of the Dortmund first team by an English teenager but Sancho was always exceptionally brilliant and Pulisic is world-class in the making himself.

It wasn't just that Sancho ermerged as the next hotter thing.

Pulisic's final year at Dortmund was not great, mildly put. It's not just that he didn't show progress, it even looked like he regressed a fair bit. That's why it felt like Chelsea overpaid big time, when they signed him (on a sporting level, people here argued the marketing value for an US player who still had (and still has) the potential to make it into the World Class bracket). Yes, ups and downs are to be expected with young players.

On a seperate note,I find it amsuing that people are talking about CHO's off field behaviour (implying lack of profesionalism), while Sancho has shown up late for team meetings and trainings. Yes, he is still a young kid, and hopefully this behaviour will stop as he matures. Still noteworthy.

Looks like Woodward's mouthpieces in the media have jumped the gun on the annual "United on the verge of appointing a DoF" nonsense. Don't these fuckers know anything about how to deflect attention? They were only supposed to publish these articles on Monday after we lose to Leicester and finish 5th. 

Romano reporting that Lovren will be joining Zenit St. Petersburg for €12m. 

The new PL season will start on Sep 12th but still finish on May 23rd, losing five weeks from the typical schedule.  And there will still be all the usual cups, European competition and international breaks.  That seems like too many games squashed in.  Players will be exhausted and get injured.  A squad like City’s has a huge advantage.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The new PL season will start on Sep 12th but still finish on May 23rd, losing five weeks from the typical schedule.  And there will still be all the usual cups, European competition and international breaks.  That seems like too many games squashed in.  Players will be exhausted and get injured.  A squad like City’s has a huge advantage.

I imagine there will be a lot of teams not taking both cups seriously this season then.

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Obviously a big advantage for the Citys and Liverpools and if we get transfers right usses of the world, but this was inevitable and pretty necessary, especially with the Euros still being expected to take place (and ain't that going to be a wonderful tournament).

Also worth remembering that although the big teams do get an advantage from squad size, the Euro tournaments in August mean they won't have a proper off-season so will be coming into the season already knackered.

Arsenal for the league.

17 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Not sure it's handy for us either, our squad depth isn't great in most places.

Have you seen City's defence? And their defensive midfield. They're stacked with creative players, they're not that strong elsewhere - nobody's got a squad for this really.

26 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Have you seen City's defence? And their defensive midfield. They're stacked with creative players, they're not that strong elsewhere - nobody's got a squad for this really.

True, but I kind of expect them to address the defensive side of things in the window. And if they can bring in a CB or two, that frees up Fernandinho to play DM again, solving that problem.

22 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Looks like Woodward's mouthpieces in the media have jumped the gun on the annual "United on the verge of appointing a DoF" nonsense. Don't these fuckers know anything about how to deflect attention? They were only supposed to publish these articles on Monday after we lose to Leicester and finish 5th. 

Romano reporting that Lovren will be joining Zenit St. Petersburg for €12m. 

After the Milan job did not materialize, ask Woody about Rangnick. ;)

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Like I said before, I think Liverpool exiting against Atletico, could very well turn out to be a blessing in disguise. On a somewhat unrelated note, I am curious where all the pros intend to spend their vacation. I mean, visiting families in Brazil for instance, doesn't strike me as the best of idea right now. So that'll be interesting to see, whether there are any players returning with COVID.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Curious to see, whether they really go for Alaba.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

After the Milan job did not materialize, ask Woody about Rangnick. ;)

There has been a report (think it was Christian Falk) alleging that a United rep. met with Rangnick in Leipzig (this was apparently sometime before he held talks with AC Milan) but we were not convinced with his presentation and declined any further talks. 

I'm not enamoured of these rumours of us chasing Coman instead of Sancho coz he's cheaper, although to be fair it would also be novel and radical approach for us to be looking at backup options instead of just putting all the eggs in one basket and ending up with the Bruno situation again. And it may just be an attempt to get Dortmund to bring the price down.

eta: but even though I don't watch Bayern that often I feel like, though he's not a bad player, there's a reason Coman isn't a consistent starter and is now being pushed out in favour of Sane, feel like there must be better options.

I don't know where those rumours originated from but Falk rubbished those reports. Said that there have been no enquiries made. Also said that Bayern will not sell Coman anyway. City apparently wanted to do a swap deal involving Coman and Sane but Bayern were adamant that Coman is not for sale. 

34 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

eta: but even though I don't watch Bayern that often I feel like, though he's not a bad player, there's a reason Coman isn't a consistent starter and is now being pushed out in favour of Sane, feel like there must be better options.

He is a pretty good palyer, and yes there's a reason. Injuries. Coman is truely a heir to Robben. As he is as gifted and as often injured as the young Robben.

Archived