US Politics: Portlandia

Kalbear

We are getting closer to the beast- https://www.thedailybeast.com/marine-in-trumps-helicopter-squadron-tests-positive-for-the-coronavirus

I mean that's how this story has to end right, the villain receiving his well deserved Karma?

I'm a patient person, I've been stating to the people in my circle that there's zero chance that Trump doesn't end up contracting the virus before the election. It will happen, wait for it.

21 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

We are getting closer to the beast- https://www.thedailybeast.com/marine-in-trumps-helicopter-squadron-tests-positive-for-the-coronavirus

I mean that's how this story has to end right, the villain receiving his well deserved Karma?

I'm a patient person, I've been stating to the people in my circle that there's zero chance that Trump doesn't end up contracting the virus before the election. It will happen, wait for it.

Really?

Since when do bad people get what they deserve?

15 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Really?

Since when do bad people get what they deserve?

They often do, it's just that usually the people doing it to them aren't much better. Plenty of brutal dictators have been deposed and meet their end at the barrel of a gun as they deserve, only to replaced by the new and improved brutal dictator, this time backed by the CIA and sponsored by Halliburton.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Who would want to be ruled by an equine?

Bipeds are the way to go. 

I vote apes with firearms; it's the only civilized way to be governed.

58 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I think it's a fucking miracle he hasn't caught it already; although, given Trump's difficulty breathing at times, it's possible he's Patient Zero! Somebody stop him before he infects us all!

3 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Don’t let a certain armed chimpanzee see this post. 

I, for one, welcome my new Triskelian overlord (provided I get a prime spot in the administration, that is).

9 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I, for one, welcome my new Triskelian overlord (provided I get a prime spot in the administration, that is).

You can never go wrong with a Futurama reference.

Edit Shame on me. That’s Simpsons, isn’t it?

:blush:

Inside Trump's decision to cancel the Republican convention in Jacksonville (NYT limited clicks).

This paragraph struck me:

But many of Mr. Trump’s top political advisers had already become convinced that the convention stood a better chance of generating embarrassing news stories — like his recent, unsuccessful rally in Tulsa, Okla. — than a bounce in the polls. In a series of recent conversations with Mr. Trump, they made it clear that he could still pull out, with minimal repercussions, according to people familiar with the discussions.

It makes me think about how if Fred Trump had pulled out, with all the attendant maximal repercussions.

I wonder if it’s possible that Trump has had one of the Covid vaccines in development.  If he can be believed he was taking hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic and I’d imagine it’s within reach of the POTUS to acquire some doses of the more promising ones. It would be irresponsible before the trials are complete, but that’s not a major barrier in this administration. 

So, surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, Cook Political Report is now saying the Democrats are favored to take back the Senate.  Arizona was moved from tossup to Lean D while IA and GA (Purdue) were moved from Lean R to Tossup.  There are now 6 GOP-held seats in tossup.  This comes after shifting 308 electoral votes at solid to lean Dem (albeit 90 votes in the Lean Dem column) and shifting 20 House races towards the Dems so now there are 221 seats in the solid to lean Dem columns.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Based on several years worth of conversations we've had, I'm shocked. Shocked I say! It's not like we said this could obviously happen.....

9 hours ago, Ormond said:

Children may only spread the disease less when they are still younger than eleven years old. There are studies showing Teenagers are about as likely to spread it as adults. 

I'd think they'd be far more likely to spread it, even if biologically they aren't as contaminable as adults in their 20's and above.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but they were American citizens. Maybe if I married into the Kennedies, I could pull a governator 2.0 - ok, before this ventures into places, where we end up asking whether Cuomo's daughters are available, let's just skip that point.

Second, and more importantly this horse has never sat a hoof into the shithole country (to quote a famous philosopher) in question, which can't even adhere to the basic principles of social distancing in most places, it seems. So I'll leave the task of cleaning the stable to our puny pony empress.

Go Jace

This shithole country works you Germans at the Olympics. We don't even need to get at how we break you at military affairs. That's like dunking a basketball with five seconds left while you're up by 50. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

This shithole country works you Germans at the Olympics. We don't even need to get at how we break you at military affairs. That's like dunking a basketball with five seconds left while you're up by 50. 

Hum, how do I play this? Ok, let's go down this route.

You are aware of the irony, of bringing forward Olympic achievements, mainly won by the gladiators recruited from an ethnic minorities for the glory of a republic, which happily disparages and kills (quite literally) them otherwise? They are also the ones that do the dunking for you.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hum, how do I play this? Ok, let's go down this route.

You are aware of the irony, of bringing forward Olympic achievements, mainly won by the gladiators recruited from an ethnic minorities for the glory of a republic, which happily disparages and kills (quite literally) them otherwise? They are also the ones that do the dunking for you.

What?

Also, I'm a minority, in a sense, so I get a hall pass on the topic. :P

8 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Lebron James is putting together some kind of group to help pay the fines of Florida felons so they can vote.  Definitely the place to do that.  I like it.

I am amazed that Trump and the GOP appear poised to let so many people lose their benefits and get evicted this close to an election.

Can a homeless vote?

52 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Can a homeless vote?

37 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Not sure.  Hope so.

Man, if you wanted to create a prototype for a loutish, unlikeable buffoon of a Republican Florida Man you couldn't do much better than the thing called Yoho.

Yes.  I used to register them all the time.  Funny enough, I don't know the case, but a judge ruled that a certain bench someone always slept at was enough to claim residency.

Archived