Covid-19 #17: Covid Is For Ever

Tywin Manderly

To me this story of the patient, who has contracted a 2nd case, is such a huge red flag.

We need to understand those ramifications completely along with any vaccine programs.

I wonder if there's a sizeable population of people that still think "one magic shot" will make this all go away?

27 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I wonder if there's a sizeable population of people that still think "one magic shot" will make this all go away?

Yes, there is. The likes of the people who think that they cure or prevent corona by drinking bleach or fish tank cleaning agents.

6 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Or maybe, the people who think they can just stay in lockdown until a vaccine is available.

I guess you don’t understand the concept of lockdown then. I assume this is a snide comment about states that didn’t fling open their doors at Trump’s demand. Texas was a state that did. Let’s see, 616,620 confirmed cases so far. Thankfully only 12,415 dead Texans because of the lessons learned in the first wave in NY and NJ. Texas relaxed many restrictions on April 27, when they had 13,588 confirmed cases. That doubled in 6 weeks, June 10 saw 27,142 cases. That doubled in two weeks, 56,203 cases on June 24, that doubled in two weeks, 116,877 on July 8.

Oh wait. Those numbers are completely misleading, because the charts only show active cases on that date,  not confirmed cases, my bad. The numbers of cases are higher and the dates are earlier.

I guess the costs associated with all the illnesses and deaths were outweighed by the benefits of opening up before Texas met a single criteria set out by the CDC, right?

No state in the US has had a "lockdown" (not even NYC) in the manner that it's referred to in the rest of the world.

The facile understanding of COVID-19 and SARS-COV-2* from intravenous injection of Faux News/OA"N"N/Trump propaganda and their suppurative regurgitation is literally killing Americans. Killing Americans at the rate of a 9/11 ever other day or a dozen plane crashes daily.

Not to mention those with severe cases and avoid becoming a death statistic or long term effects which are not well understood.

*Eta- as well as vaccines, vaccine testing, herd immunity, public health, science, basic human decency, etc. etc.

A beautiful day here.  Never have I seen so many on the street wearing their masks. And do mean wearing them, as opposed to making a mask chin decoration, a new kind of bracelet or hanging off the ear.

There were still those sorts too, but they were, to my eyes, a minority.  But this is in the middle of the day. At night all regulations and courtesy and masks are off.  At least down here in what it STILL a Destination neighborhood for those who live in other pars of the city or even in other states.

But this cannot last because at shoggoth's directive:

Updated CDC guidelines now say people exposed to coronavirus may not need to be tested, or quarantine or fill out forms for track and trace

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/health/cdc-guidelines-coronavirus-testing/index.html

This will end as we know it will.  All this for what Shoggoth expects to provide him political-electoral gain. This is (more) murder and treason.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/08/trump-cdc-coronavirus-testing-keep-numbers-low.html

Well, I just thought of something and am a complete idiot for not having pondered it 2 or 3 months earlier, when this first surfaced...

There was, early on, foolish talk of some scientist proposing that people should inoculate themselves willingly with the virus to study it or try some drugs or vaccines. There's also been some serious clues for months that there is a degree of cross-resistance with the other coronaviruses. And we still don't have very effective drugs against Covid, not to mention a months-away if not year-away vaccine.

So, considering that a few of the human coronaviruses are mild - not as in "coronavirus mild", which is in many cases bullshit because it can cause harm and lasting damages to many of the people who don't require a hospital stay, but as in "just a common cold" -, wouldn't it be easier for now, while we're waiting for a vaccine, to develop some kind of inoculation of that far less harmful coronavirus, not in the hope of causing absolute immunity, but at least to bring solid resistance against Covid and only a truly mild case (genuinely like the typical cold) instead of the life-threatening bastard? Heck, if doing it like vaccination-light is complicated, I'd actually even personally go for infection the normal way by that old well-known coronavirus; I'd consider worth it to suffer now a common cold to avoid a far higher risk later (considering the amount of colds I've gone through in my life, I'm 100% sure I already got hit by one of those older milder coronaviruses at some point in my life).

6 hours ago, Week said:

Killing Americans at the rate of a 9/11 ever other day or a dozen plane crashes daily.

Yeah, this is what all the Covid-deniers don't get.

The rest of the world is watching. The rest of the world sees that US leaders and a sizable chunk of US people don't give a damn when there's a bloodbath ongoing inside their country. Therefore, the next time they're hit by some bad guys, they can just go fuck themselves, because the rest of the world won't care or sympathize, not until the casualties go way beyond 200K deaths, way above Covid body count. I mean, seriously, if America can't be bothered in this case by 1K deaths every fucking day for months, can't be arsed to react with 170.000 dead people, why should the rest of the world care if America, for whatever nasty future reason, is once again hit by terrorists, Russia, China, Saudis, Canada or whoevever else it might be? If 170K deaths is no biggie for the US, the US shouldn't exepect any help in any way unless something as bad as a nuke or a meteor hits it.

And to be clear, this should also applies, in a smaller way, to the likes of Sweden.

34 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Well, I just thought of something and am a complete idiot for not having pondered it 2 or 3 months earlier, when this first surfaced...

There was, early on, foolish talk of some scientist proposing that people should inoculate themselves willingly with the virus to study it or try some drugs or vaccines. There's also been some serious clues for months that there is a degree of cross-resistance with the other coronaviruses. And we still don't have very effective drugs against Covid, not to mention a months-away if not year-away vaccine.

So, considering that a few of the human coronaviruses are mild - not as in "coronavirus mild", which is in many cases bullshit because it can cause harm and lasting damages to many of the people who don't require a hospital stay, but as in "just a common cold" -, wouldn't it be easier for now, while we're waiting for a vaccine, to develop some kind of inoculation of that far less harmful coronavirus, not in the hope of causing absolute immunity, but at least to bring solid resistance against Covid and only a truly mild case (genuinely like the typical cold) instead of the life-threatening bastard? Heck, if doing it like vaccination-light is complicated, I'd actually even personally go for infection the normal way by that old well-known coronavirus; I'd consider worth it to suffer now a common cold to avoid a far higher risk later (considering the amount of colds I've gone through in my life, I'm 100% sure I already got hit by one of those older milder coronaviruses at some point in my life).

Yeah, this is what all the Covid-deniers don't get.

The rest of the world is watching. The rest of the world sees that US leaders and a sizable chunk of US people don't give a damn when there's a bloodbath ongoing inside their country. Therefore, the next time they're hit by some bad guys, they can just go fuck themselves, because the rest of the world won't care or sympathize, not until the casualties go way beyond 200K deaths, way above Covid body count. I mean, seriously, if America can't be bothered in this case by 1K deaths every fucking day for months, can't be arsed to react with 170.000 dead people, why should the rest of the world care if America, for whatever nasty future reason, is once again hit by terrorists, Russia, China, Saudis, Canada or whoevever else it might be? If 170K deaths is no biggie for the US, the US shouldn't exepect any help in any way unless something as bad as a nuke or a meteor hits it.

And to be clear, this should also applies, in a smaller way, to the likes of Sweden.

Edward Jenner noted that milkmaids infected with cowpox seemed to be immune to smallpox. This was the basis of his smallpox vaccination. Before this smallpox vaccination was done with the pus of someone who had a milder case of smallpox. 

28 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Take New Zealand - the poster child of the lockdown movement. If Covid is going to be with us forever like the flu, are they going to continue going into lockdown each time a handful of cases pop up?

Until there is a vaccine or effective therapeutics, probably yes. 

They've had 22 total deaths - so, ya know, a morning's worth of deaths in Texas or Florida.

What argument do you think you making? That a coherent, cohesive government response to support locking down by paying citizens and preventing wanton death across the country is bad?

I confess that I don't know the NZ UBI support, etc to the nth degree but, jesus christ, to point to them as a problem ... Oh, I forgot, the Elon Musk brain worms. NVM.

59 minutes ago, Week said:

Until there is a vaccine or effective therapeutics, probably yes. 

They've had 22 total deaths - so, ya know, a morning's worth of deaths in Texas or Florida.

What argument do you think you making? That a coherent, cohesive government response to support locking down by paying citizens and preventing wanton death across the country is bad?

I confess that I don't know the NZ UBI support, etc to the nth degree but, jesus christ, to point to them as a problem ... Oh, I forgot, the Elon Musk brain worms. NVM.

The evidence so far suggests that our ongoing policy of elimination until vaccination is not harming our economy relative to most countries that do not have an elimination policy. So there is really no good reason to changing from the elimination policy. For most countries the disease if far too widespread in the population to attempt elimination before vaccination. But for those countries that have achieved it, to suggest changing course is pure madness.

Edit: I think I will add to this to say that I think that economic assessment of the impact of the pandemic can't just be limited to the economic hit the world takes while we're in the middle of it, but also what the economic, and social, recovery looks like coming out the other side. If we are not a world with greater economic justice for every segment of society, including sweatshop workers producing our cheap goods in developing countries, and kids in Africa poisoning themselves in unregulated "artisanal" mines so multinational tech companies can reap ever greater profits, and if we don't have a much greater appreciation for the interconnectedness of the world, and a concern for the well-being of everyone not just me and mine, then the world will have suffered for nothing.

So far I do not see a great deal of cause for optimism.

Yesterday a coworker in the warehouse came back to work after being out for about 6 weeks for COVID-19.  

He looks healthy and robust and we gave each other a hug (don’t judge) He’s in his mid 60’s so I was so glad to see him I nearly cried, great way to start the day. 

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Yesterday a coworker in the warehouse came back to work after being out for about 6 weeks for COVID-19.  

He looks healthy and robust and we gave each other a hug (don’t judge) He’s in his mid 60’s so I was so glad to see him I nearly cried, great way to start the day. 

I judge you, oh yes. I judge you to be empathetic and compassionate for a fellow worker. I'm sorry, but someone had to say it.

Edit: and pretty much on queue with my post-COVID social and economic pessimism we have one party campaigning to implement permanent erosion of employment conditions in the guise of "post-COVID" economic recovery by eliminating mandatory work breaks. Such a shitty mean-spirited policy. Help business recover by making workers suffer. Mandatory lunch / dinner breaks have been sacrosanct for maybe a century now. All it takes is the worst health crisis in living memory to have some politicians decide now is a good time to get rid of it.

Just noticing that the USA has ticked over to 6 million confirmed cases, and it got me wondering, so I did some quick maths. If the USA continues to confirm about 40,000 cases per day, on average, there is a reasonable probability of the confirmed cases hitting 6.66 million on 11 Sept.

I wonder what message people who believe in these kinds of signs might take from that, if it happens? Perhaps best to hope that this coincidence (or is it?) doesn't happen.

14 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

confirmed cases hitting 6.66 million on 11 Sept.

As an American I say to this ‘Fuck Yeah!’ because we can’t help our selves.     Oh, and science. 

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

judge you, oh yes. I judge you to be empathetic and compassionate for a fellow worker. I'm sorry, but someone had to say it.

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

we have one party campaigning to implement permanent erosion of employment conditions in the guise of "post-COVID" economic recovery by eliminating mandatory work breaks.

JFC, this type of bullshit is everywhere.   Hope that idea fails. 

Archived