UK Politics - It's a bit glitchy

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

this idea doesn't really stick because as Mormont points out he wasn't suing Heard, he was suing a newspaper owned by the most influential media owner in the world. He is suing her in the US, a case which isn't done yet, but if I understand anything about the differences between UK and US law it'll be unlikely that he wins that one if he lost this one.

There was an explainer on the BBC website about the difference between US and UK libel law - basically, in the UK the defendant (in this case the Sun) has to prove their accusation is true, whereas in the US. Depp will have to prove that it's false.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Well I think the initial stories pushed to the press by his team was that actually he was the victim and that she was the one abusing him.

For sure there was bias but there's some pretty hard-to-argue with audio evidence that she was both verbally and in her own telling physically abusive. Obvs we can't know for sure but as you say it seems pretty clear it was a fucked up relationship on both ends and quite likely mutually abusive.

Without going too far down the rabbit hole (because it isn't really a UK Politics issue): any 'fault on both sides' argument wrt the Depp/Heard marriage has to carry the heavy caveat that Depp had the upper hand in almost every way in the relationship. He was much wealthier, much more famous, considerably more influential (arguably one of the most influential actors in the industry), physically stronger, and was more than two decades older than Heard, who was 22 when the relationship began. Both clearly have some personal issues - don't we all - but the power dynamics were very much in his favour, and that matters.

Just now, Heartofice said:

What did he say? I just saw him on Sky.

He was asked what he thought about Trump's declarations of victory and fraud

He said he refuses to comment on media commentary. It was pointed out that a statement by Trump isn't media commentary, he said he refuses to comment on media commentary, he was asked a 3rd time, and he accused Katya Adler of goim g beyond media commentary and into campaigning

8 hours ago, mormont said:

He was much wealthier, much more famous, considerably more influential (arguably one of the most influential actors in the industry), physically stronger, and was more than two decades older than Heard, who was 22 when the relationship began.

This is true.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

However I agree with him that it’s probably not a good time for the foreign secretary to be making statements on this stuff. Seems pretty reasonable.

He's probably right that he shouldn't comment because if Trump wins he'd throw a huff but his response in blaming the media is dishonest and cowardly. He should just say this is a delicate situation and I can't comment right now.

I can understand not wanting to comment, but don't put yourself forward to give comment if you refuse to do so.

I think he's be absolutely right not to comment on who he thinks or hopes will win, but to refuse to comment on what constitutes a fact, or to accuse someone trying to get a comment out of you as actively campaigning is.... bizarre

Interesting analysis on the BBC. They had several paths projected and one was rather worrying, based on schools and especially universities resulting in as much virus spread as they think they are. That showed the rate of hospitalisations and deaths dropping only very moderately before lockdown ends, certainly not enough to justify ending it.

They indicated this is an experiment that could fail, and a harsher lockdown which closes schools and universities might have to follow in December.

8 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Starmer, Sturgeon, Drakeford, and Khan have all tweeted congratulations to Biden, the PM has not yet said anything.

He's on hold on the phone. #17 in the queue.

Archived