Star Wars - We're ALL Being Tortured For No Reason

Relic

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

You guys can say what you will about Lucas, but atleast he showed restraint and didn't turn his creation into a fucking assembly line production. 

errrr.. I don't think you can justifiably say that. I grew up watching the Ewoks cartoon, the Droids cartoon, Caravan of Courage, and that other shitty Ewoks movie.. among many other properties.. let's not pretend Lucas didn't exploit the crap out of his franchise and rinse it for all it's worth!

But atleast he stuck to animation and other media in that department...The Mouse has released 5 live action movies in the last 5 years and now atleast 5 more live action tv with 3 more movies planned... Talk about law of diminishing marginal utility.. 

The image that comes to mind when I hear this is my grandparents milking the family cow in my ancestral  Indian village!!

13 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

But atleast he stuck to animation and other media in that department...The Mouse has released 5 live action movies in the last 5 years and now atleast 5 more live action tv with 3 more movies planned... Talk about law of diminishing marginal utility.. 

The image that comes to mind when I hear this is my grandparents milking the family cow in my ancestral  Indian village!!

Lucas would have had a hard time to create live-action shows that looked good. The Mouse has money, filming technology has improved, and the market is ripe now, with others already having created great looking shows. But I agree with your sentiments. 

13 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Here's a question, between the debt Disney is carrying as a result of the Fox acquisition, the shuttered theme parks and the slate of films that are in limbo due to Covid, how exactly are they going to pay for all this?

What do you do when you fall on hard times and you're asset rich and cash poor? You do what any company does, you figure out a way to turn some of those assets into cash. 

Expect further announcements.

I'm assuming the streaming service is doing well? I'm guessing they're betting on the parks reopening by next summer and the same with theaters. Just my guess though.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

And continuity problems. Oh, the continuity problems.

You think continuity bothers most of the Star Wars people...? At least those they put in charge of movies, for the most part...

47 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Lucas would have had a hard time to create live-action shows that looked good. The Mouse has money, filming technology has improved, and the market is ripe now, with others already having created great looking shows. But I agree with your sentiments. 

I don't know about that, the 90's gave us some great Sci-Fi shows (DS9 and B5), same with the 00's (Farscape and BSG). Would Star Wars shows from those decades look like miniature movies, the way some episodes of Mando do, no, but they could still have been good stuff non the less.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

I'm assuming the streaming service is doing well? I'm guessing they're betting on the parks reopening by next summer and the same with theaters. Just my guess though.

Yeah, maybe its nothing. My point is that, though all the studios are hurting,  Disney's situation is unique. A massive acquisition, funded partially by debt, going into a lean period for the company is potentially disastrous. I've seen it happen. Just look at the number of people they've laid off this year. The combined severance packages had to be staggering.

According to Yahoo finance, their trailing twelve months EPS is -$1.59. The streaming service might be doing well but the combined company is losing money.  The parks alone have to be a huge drag right now. Those aren't just assets that go into hibernation when they shut down. They cost money to keep closed. I sure hope they keep the maintenance crews busy during the shut down. Would you want to go on one of  those rides after its been left to rust for a year?

With all the IP's they now own, partly due to the Fox acquisition, I would not be surprised if there was an announcement that "this one" or "that one" was being sold to Netflix or Warners or Apple or the like.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

You think continuity bothers most of the Star Wars people...? At least those they put in charge of movies, for the most part...

It certainly fuels a lot of discussion on these boards.

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Headed by Noah Hawley so that should be pretty weird. I expect musical numbers and xenomorphs who give long monologues before they kill someone. 

Noah Hawley in many ways is becoming the new David Lynch and I'm loving every second of anything the man makes, even if it doesn't 100% make sense. Seasons 1 and 2 of Fargo are some of the best tv I've seen in the past decade.

51 minutes ago, sifth said:

Noah Hawley in many ways is becoming the new David Lynch and I'm loving every second of anything the man makes, even if it doesn't 100% make sense. Seasons 1 and 2 of Fargo are some of the best tv I've seen in the past decade.

I would love to see a Star Wars show with the cast of 'Legion', straight up.

1 minute ago, Vaughn said:

Not confident that Christensen is going to pull off a convincing Boston accent but I guess we'll see.

We'd also learn that the Boston Sith rule of two is just double cupping your iced Dunks.*

* for those of you on farther shores, some people here order iced coffee in the regular plastic cup but then get a second styrofoam cup to put that cup into, so their hands don't get cold whilst holding the drink.

This shouldn't be a surprise.

Looking at the slate, they're reeeeally leaning into everything but the sequel trilogy, aren't they?

There was also a brief mention in the presentation of Taika Watitti's SW film, which I guess comes after all this.  Between this and Thor: Love and Thunder, I guess his WB Akira live action film won't be happening.

I assume Rian Johnson's trilogy is dead.

38 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

We'd also learn that the Boston Sith rule of two is just double cupping your iced Dunks.*

* for those of you on farther shores, some people here order iced coffee in the regular plastic cup but then get a second styrofoam cup to put that cup into, so their hands don't get cold whilst holding the drink.

It's chilled percolated coffee. And it's as bad as when Al Pacino got paid out to try and make it sound good and suffered the consequences.

Archived