Star Wars - We're ALL Being Tortured For No Reason

Relic

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Not sure I’m following you here. He’s perfect because he looks like Hayden, cos he is Hayden, who played Anakin? I’m arguing he looks nothing like Jake Lloyd or Sebastian Stan (who, paired together, I could actually believe were the same person) or sounds like James Earl Jones, or has the physique of David Prowse. I could picture Leonardo DiCaprio filling in the gap between Lloyd and Stan, with a more similar facial shape.

It seems to me that looks and voice weren’t factors in his casting. Maybe he utterly nailed the audition when Lucas wasn’t directing him, but no evidence of that survived as far as the prequels themselves.

Your argument is nonsensical. He looks as much like Lloyd as shaw does and as much like shaw as Lloyd does but shaw is irrelevant. 1 scene with three lines does not a depiction make. Christensen is anakin. The other two should be compared to him. You also said he doesnt sound like anakin. Whereas the depiction of Anakin that should matter the most as it is the most content is that of clone wars which is again based on Christensen. 

Regardless the only thing Anakin should look like is vaguely like Luke and Leia and Shmi. Size is irrelevant as Vader in the old series is a robot and the measuring stick of Shaw being taller than Guinness. As shown by the picture above Christensen is taller than McGregor hence also not relevant.

5 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Your argument is nonsensical. He looks as much like Lloyd as shaw does and as much like shaw as Lloyd does but shaw is irrelevant. 1 scene with three lines does not a depiction make. Christensen is anakin. The other two should be compared to him. You also said he does sound like anakin. Whereas the depiction of Anakin that should matter the most as it is the most content is that of clone wars which is again based on Christensen. 

Regardless the only thing Anakin should look like is vaguely like Luke and Leia and Shmi. Size is irrelevant as Vader in the old series is a robot and the measuring stick of Shaw being taller than Guinness. As shown by the picture above Christensen is taller than McGregor hence also not relevant.

Sebastian Stan isn't built like David Prowse either.

What does Sebastian Stan have to do with this?

8 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

As I said a few pages back, what part did he look like exactly? I’m perfectly willing to accept that Lucas can’t direct actors and he can, in fact, act ... but he doesn’t look or sound like anyone else who’s ever played / voiced Anakin / Darth.

He looks like a young hero who can get corrupted by his elders. That's pretty much it. 

34 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

What does Sebastian Stan have to do with this?

My bad, I meant Shaw of course!

40 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Your argument is nonsensical. He looks as much like Lloyd as shaw does and as much like shaw as Lloyd does but shaw is irrelevant. 1 scene with three lines does not a depiction make. Christensen is anakin. The other two should be compared to him. You also said he doesnt sound like anakin. Whereas the depiction of Anakin that should matter the most as it is the most content is that of clone wars which is again based on Christensen. 

You seem to be in denial of basic chronology and I can’t get my head around it. Before AotC, before he had the part, there were four people who had played Anakin: David Prowse, Sebastian Shaw, James Earl Jones and Jake Lloyd. What I’m wondering is what was so incredible about Hayden’s audition that they hired him, in spite of the fact he resembles none of these people. OK...

40 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Regardless the only thing Anakin should look like is vaguely like Luke and Leia and Shmi.

...I’ll grant you that looking like Luke is another factor, and maaaaybe he looks more like him than he does the previous people who have played Anakin. It’s hardly uncanny though is it? Then, after he got the part, THEN they cast Matt Lanter for the Clone Wars because he sounds like him (because that’s how casting usually works; you look at who already played him and factor that in to your decision...)

So if Hayden was awful in the prequels (as I believe he was, but I’m agnostic as to whether it’s his or Lucas’s fault) but he was a dead ringer for at least one of the aforementioned, I could maybe understand it. But as it stands, I’m flummoxed as to why he got the part. 

Just now, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I thought they were talking about Anakin.

Yeah, turns it it was a mistake and he meant Sebastian Shaw who first played Vader with his helmet off in Jedi. Stan does look a lot like Hammil though. 

23 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm not massively familiar with his other work, but he was great in Shattered Glass and (to the extent I remember it) gave a perfectly good performance in Jumper.

Shattered Glass is a gorgeously-shot horror story. I have been told by journalist friends that their professors have asked them to watch it as part of their degree - as a warning of what not to do. 

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Shattered Glass is a gorgeously-shot horror story. I have been told by journalist friends that their professors have asked them to watch it as part of their degree - as a warning of what not to do. 

Yeah, Glass was kind of a rock star at The New Republic before the scandal hit.

Anyway, Christensen did alright in that movie.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:39 PM, RumHam said:

People have been saying he could play OT era Luke for a while:

Sebastian Stan Wants to Play Luke Skywalker, Mark Hamill Approves

Okay... 1) Wow.  I wouldn’t have thought of it before, but now I can’t unsee it.

2)

Luke Skywalker, canonically, has had a clone in the past.

This is talking old canon isn’t it?  There’s nothing since the Disney acquisition that says he has a clone is there?

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This is talking old canon isn’t it?  There’s nothing since the Disney acquisition that says he has a clone is there?

Oh hell, Luuke. One of Timothy Zahn's less accomplished ideas. And yes, 100% decanonised.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:08 PM, DaveSumm said:

My bad, I meant Shaw of course!

You seem to be in denial of basic chronology and I can’t get my head around it. Before AotC, before he had the part, there were four people who had played Anakin: David Prowse, Sebastian Shaw, James Earl Jones and Jake Lloyd. What I’m wondering is what was so incredible about Hayden’s audition that they hired him, in spite of the fact he resembles none of these people. OK...

...I’ll grant you that looking like Luke is another factor, and maaaaybe he looks more like him than he does the previous people who have played Anakin. It’s hardly uncanny though is it? Then, after he got the part, THEN they cast Matt Lanter for the Clone Wars because he sounds like him (because that’s how casting usually works; you look at who already played him and factor that in to your decision...)

So if Hayden was awful in the prequels (as I believe he was, but I’m agnostic as to whether it’s his or Lucas’s fault) but he was a dead ringer for at least one of the aforementioned, I could maybe understand it. But as it stands, I’m flummoxed as to why he got the part. 

Sir Laurence Oliver wasn't the first to play Hamlet.  He may be the best.  Why is chronology of who acted as a made up character in a fictional universe first remotely relevant?  James Earl Jones doesn't play Anakin.  Neither did Prowse.  Sebastian Shaw "played" Anakin for all of 2 mins.  He is barely more consequential that whatever extra they got to play Boba Fetts feet from Mando season 1. If you want to think he did a superlative job creating a character that no random stiff off the street couldn't have done, then more power to you.   In that case I'd also assume you couldn't think your way out of a paper bag.  

So that leaves Jake Lloyd and Hayden.  Hmmm tough choice.

Just now, DMC said:

Am I correct to assume this means Luke's clone was referred to as Luuke?  Cuz yeah, that is comically bad.

Yes it sure was.  Luuke Skywalker indeed.  Thankfully murdered before he even said a line I believe.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Am I correct to assume this means Luke's clone was referred to as Luuke?  Cuz yeah, that is comically bad.

Yes. Zahn's contention was that clones could be identified because they had two "u"s in their name rather than one (Luuke vs Luke, Joruus vs Jorus). I don't think the question of what happened if your name didn't have a "u" in it was ever addressed.

Archived